    the crap from ad where and other unwanted material. Could any one suggest
    some help for me.
    Thanks David
    David Johnson, Aug 21, 2004

  2. David Johnson

    Thor Guest

    "David Johnson" <> wrote in message
    news:EyGVc.1831$...
    > two weeks ago I brought a new HP pavilion, and it is loaded with windows

    XP,
    > it has had almost nothing saved on it at all and only used for internet,

    it
    > has been running slow so I decided to defrag the hard drive, I received

    the
    > message that I have only 7% hard drive space left and defrag would not

    work
    > with this small amount of drive space. I suspect the problem is due to all
    > the crap from ad where and other unwanted material. Could any one suggest
    > some help for me.
    > Thanks David

    there is no way that you should be running out of space on a 2 week-old
    computer regardless of what was installed at the factory, or adware. A
    couple possibilities come to mind.

    1. The main partition and recovery partitions might have been incorrectly
    set up. I've seen this before with other brands where the recovery partition
    was given the majority of the harddrive space, while the main system
    partition was given only a few gigabytes. The setup was the opposite as it
    should have been. Check your C: drive and bring up the properties of the
    drive to see what the total space is versus the remaining free space. Also
    check the recovery partition if it is visible in "my computer".

    2. There is a problem with the C: drive that may require running an error
    check. Again, bring up the C: drive properties and go to tools, then error
    checking.

    While you may well have some adware, I cannot see how that could possibly
    account for many gigabytes of consumed space.

    Thor, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Thank you for your help. I checked the "C" Drive and it showed 63 GB of free
    space and 6.7 of used space, I followed your suggestions and run a "C" drive
    error check, it came back the message that a serious error was found, I ran
    defrag again but is still told me that only had 7 % of free space,
    David

    David Johnson, Aug 22, 2004
  4. David Johnson

    > Thank you for your help. I checked the "C" Drive and it showed 63 GB of

    free
    > space and 6.7 of used space, I followed your suggestions and run a "C"

    drive
    > error check, it came back the message that a serious error was found, I

    ran
    > defrag again but is still told me that only had 7 % of free space,
    > David

    what kind of error, and was it repaired? Sounds like there is still a
    problem with the drive.
    Thor, Aug 22, 2004
  5. Problem solved. It will teach me to read the error messages more closely,
    When I read the error message again it was trying to defrag the "D" drive
    which had 300MB, when I clicked on to "Defrag the C drive" all was well,
    Once again thanks for your help, as I have limited ability with computers
    your suggestions pointed me in the right direction.
    David

    David Johnson, Aug 23, 2004