HELP !!!!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by grampajay, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. grampajay

    grampajay Guest

    As you can see I am presently on WEBTV.

    Both my family and I are thoroughly fed up with LAMETV's poor
    performance.

    So, for Christmas the kids gave me a Dell 4600 [with wireless keyboard
    and mouse] configured to use my TV as a monitor.

    Supposed to allow to still sit in my recliner and truly and honestly
    surf the web on my TV¹.

    The problem is my new computer has an S Video out and my TV does not
    have an S Video in, it does have separate video and audio inputs besides
    the standard 75 coax input.

    Anybody know of an adapter that will let me use everything as intended ?

    I am planning on hitting Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc tomorrow, but it
    would be a lot easier if I ask for something specific rather than just
    spend 10 minutes trying to explain what the problem is.

    After 45 minutes on the phone late last night, the people at Dell said,
    "Oh, now I understand, that has never come up before. I'll research it
    and call you back tomorrow" :)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    ¹ LAMETV runs at IE2 levels, the list of what it won't do is so long
    that the LAMETV help groups refuse to even discuss it :)

    grampajay, Dec 25, 2003

  2. grampajay

    Jerry G. Guest

    What you really need is a proper computer monitor to see your computer
    properly.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    Jerry G., Dec 25, 2003

  3. grampajay

    grampajay Guest

    Thanx for responding Jerry

    Yes that is another major problem with LAMETV.

    The visual quality of the stuff it does let you access is severely
    compromised by the resolution of the TV, small print [especially sidebar
    menus] is often just an unreadable blurry line.

    It really pisses me off that the sales people at Dell didn't tell the
    kids to wait and make sure that my TV had an S Video input before
    actually placing the order.

    I'm sure the money they spent on the special video cards would have
    covered most of the cost of a basic 17" monitor.

    Have a Great Christmas
    Jay

    grampajay, Dec 25, 2003
  4. grampajay

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (grampajay) wrote in news:9522-3FEB3A77-750
    @storefull-2233.public.lawson.webtv.net:

    > I'm sure the money they spent on the special video cards would have
    > covered most of the cost of a basic 17" monitor.

    FYI, pricewatch.com is listing several 17" monitors for $84 after shipping.
    May want to take a look at that option.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 25, 2003
  5. grampajay

    V W Wall Guest

    grampajay wrote:

    > Thanx for responding Jerry
    >
    > Yes that is another major problem with LAMETV.
    >
    > The visual quality of the stuff it does let you access is severely
    > compromised by the resolution of the TV, small print [especially sidebar
    > menus] is often just an unreadable blurry line.
    >
    > It really pisses me off that the sales people at Dell didn't tell the
    > kids to wait and make sure that my TV had an S Video input before
    > actually placing the order.

    An S-Video input will not make much difference. A TV is limited by
    the bandwidth and the number of scan lines (~500). In addition
    the screen is "painted" in interlace mode giving an effective frame
    rate of 30 fps. There's no way you can get even the lowest monitor
    resolution from a TV. Even the cheapest computer monitor will do
    much better.

    > I'm sure the money they spent on the special video cards would have
    > overed most of the cost of a basic 17" monitor.

    They'll be some good monitor bnuys after Christmas!

    > Have a Great Christmas
    > Jay

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Dec 25, 2003
  6. grampajay

    grampajay Guest

    OK, finally got the S-Video to RCA adapter, used the cables from LAMETV
    and hooked everything up.

    Computer itself seems to be working and I sort of stumbled through the
    setup for XP, but I couldn't really see what I was doing, [print too
    small and TV resolution too poor] and just got out as soon as I could.

    My son-in-law saw a PC hooked up to TV using S-Video and was very
    impressed with the picture, which is why they went with the S-Video out
    instead of just getting a standard package.

    So, my next question is do I get a 21 inch monitor and the furniture
    required to hold it, or do I get a new TV with S-Video input ??

    From what I've seen the cost is pretty much the same, but a 21" monitor
    would be a lot easier to get up the stairs than a 32" TV :)

    Anybody had any experience using an S-Video TV as a monitor ??

    Hope everybody has a Happy New Year.

    grampajay, Dec 31, 2003
  7. grampajay

    V W Wall Guest

    grampajay wrote:

    > OK, finally got the S-Video to RCA adapter, used the cables from LAMETV
    > and hooked everything up.
    >
    > Computer itself seems to be working and I sort of stumbled through the
    > setup for XP, but I couldn't really see what I was doing, [print too
    > small and TV resolution too poor] and just got out as soon as I could.
    >
    > My son-in-law saw a PC hooked up to TV using S-Video and was very
    > impressed with the picture, which is why they went with the S-Video out
    > instead of just getting a standard package.
    >
    > So, my next question is do I get a 21 inch monitor and the furniture
    > required to hold it, or do I get a new TV with S-Video input ??

    You will never get a TV display equal to even the lowest PC monitor's
    display. S-Video has nothing to do with it! It merely separates the
    video signal into two parts, but can't change the TV's inherent
    display limitation.

    > From what I've seen the cost is pretty much the same, but a 21" monitor
    > would be a lot easier to get up the stairs than a 32" TV :)
    >
    > Anybody had any experience using an S-Video TV as a monitor ??

    See my previous response to you.

    V W Wall, Dec 31, 2003
  8. V W Wall wrote:
    > grampajay wrote:
    >
    >>Thanx for responding Jerry
    >>
    >>Yes that is another major problem with LAMETV.
    >>
    >>The visual quality of the stuff it does let you access is severely
    >>compromised by the resolution of the TV, small print [especially sidebar
    >>menus] is often just an unreadable blurry line.
    >>
    >>It really pisses me off that the sales people at Dell didn't tell the
    >>kids to wait and make sure that my TV had an S Video input before
    >>actually placing the order.

    > An S-Video input will not make much difference. A TV is limited by
    > the bandwidth and the number of scan lines (~500). In addition
    > the screen is "painted" in interlace mode giving an effective frame
    > rate of 30 fps. There's no way you can get even the lowest monitor
    > resolution from a TV. Even the cheapest computer monitor will do
    > much better.

    I think I've seen the same demo as grampajay's kids-and it's a trick.
    The one I've seen basically shows a movie that's played on the PC.
    Insist that they switch it to a real PC screen & they'll either refuse
    or you'll see how poor the quality really is. (Movies, which are
    designed to be displayed on TV in the first place, unsurprisingly
    display very well on TV's regardless of the signal source.)

    I've also read claims of TV/monitor combinations that have more than 500
    scan lines & can run non-interlaced when in monitor mode, but have never
    seen them in action so don't know how they work.

    Calvin Crumrine, Dec 31, 2003
  9. grampajay

    grampajay Guest

    Thanks Guys

    I didn't really think that it would work, but it really helps to hear it
    verified.

    Considering that my son-in-law saw it the Exchange in Norfolk, I'm not
    the least bit surprised that it was just a sales trick :)

    Really didn't want to have to move two 32" TVs anyway !!!!!!

    Thanks again and have a Happy New Year

    grampajay, Jan 1, 2004