Help

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 15, 2003.

  1. >From: "Arnaud and Katrina"
    >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    >Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:22:03 -0800

    >Hi guys,
    >
    >Got an old computer from work used to be used for the security system and
    >when you plug it in it is always on, I try everything to switch it off but
    >unless I turn alim off at the back of the box it is on.
    >
    >The one we have at work are the same so i look inside but cannot see
    >anything suspicious, it is done to make sure the camera system is recorded
    >but what as been done?
    >I dont want it on 24/7, Any idea?????????
    >
    >THank you all for your help.
    >
    >Arnaud

    look at the mobo for a jumber on the two pins that should be connected to the
    Front End POWER ON switch. That or the switch is shorted.

    Got a paperclip?

    :)

    - -- - -- - --
    -- - -- - - -- - - - -- - - -- --
    - -- - - - -- - -- - -- -- -- -- - -- -
    --
    Necessity is the Mother of invention.

    I'd tell you a secret, but it wouldn't be a secret anymore.

    caveat lector - reader beware, Nov 15, 2003

  2. caveat lector - reader beware

    V W Wall Guest

    caveat lector - reader beware wrote:

    > >From: "Arnaud and Katrina"
    > >Newsgroups: alt.computer
    > >Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 02:22:03 -0800

    > >Hi guys,
    > >
    > >Got an old computer from work used to be used for the security system and
    > >when you plug it in it is always on, I try everything to switch it off but
    > >unless I turn alim off at the back of the box it is on.
    > >
    > >The one we have at work are the same so i look inside but cannot see
    > >anything suspicious, it is done to make sure the camera system is recorded
    > >but what as been done?
    > >I dont want it on 24/7, Any idea?????????
    > >
    > >THank you all for your help.
    > >
    > >Arnaud
    > >

    > look at the mobo for a jumber on the two pins that should be connected to the
    > Front End POWER ON switch. That or the switch is shorted.
    >
    > Got a paperclip?

    Just try putting power to your computer whilst holding in the "Front End
    POWER ON switch". Notice anything strange?

    Virg Wall

    PS: Try looking for a BIOS setting of "Reboot on power restore".
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    V W Wall, Nov 15, 2003

  3. caveat lector - reader beware

    GSmith Guest

    If this is an old AT type computer, because you said old. which really isn't
    that old. The computer was turned on and off by turning on and off the power
    supply. The AT power supplies had a on and off switch on the back of the
    power supply and a remote on and off switch which was hard wired to the
    power supply.

    There were quite a few different configurations that were used. There is a
    good chance that your system has no on and off remote switch if this is an
    AT system and not an ATX.

    GSmith, Nov 16, 2003
  4. caveat lector - reader beware

    GSmith Guest

    Have you held the on/off button for 4 to 10 seconds?

    GSmith, Nov 16, 2003
  5. caveat lector - reader beware

    V W Wall Guest

    Arnaud and Katrina wrote:

    > it is a pentium 3 on it and the switch is connect to the board, as I said
    > the new ones at work are the same>

    Check the BIOS settings for: "Reboot on power restore", or something similar.

    Virg Wall

    Arnaud and Katrina, Nov 16, 2003
  7. I look before and can't see any jumper test the switch working find,,,,,,,,,

    Arnaud

    Arnaud and Katrina, Nov 16, 2003

    Arnaud and Katrina, Nov 16, 2003
  9. Yes it work thanks graham

    "GSmith" <> wrote in message
    > Have you held the on/off button for 4 to 10 seconds?
    >

    > "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in message
    > > it is a pentium 3 on it and the switch is connect to the board, as I

    said
    > > the new ones at work are the same>
    > >
    > > Arnaud
    > > "GSmith" <> wrote in message
    > > > If this is an old AT type computer, because you said old. which really

    > > isn't
    > > > that old. The computer was turned on and off by turning on and off the

    > > power
    > > > supply. The AT power supplies had a on and off switch on the back of

    the
    > > > power supply and a remote on and off switch which was hard wired to

    the
    > > > power supply.
    > > >
    > > > There were quite a few different configurations that were used. There

    is
    > > > good chance that your system has no on and off remote switch if this

    is
    > an
    > > > AT system and not an ATX.
    > > >

    > > > "Arnaud and Katrina" <> wrote in