    My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    something to stop it getting there in the first place.
    gwyn davies, Jul 25, 2005

  2. gwyn davies

    Yddap Guest

    In news:dc3l5a$r3c$,
    gwyn davies <> opined very noisily:
    > My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti
    > spyware software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and
    > adware. i eed something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    Spybot Search & Destroy
    http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    http://www.safer-networking.org/
    http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    SpyBot S&D guide

    Ad-Aware
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    http://www.lavasoft.nu/

    Spyware Blaster

    CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    Yddap, Jul 26, 2005

  3. gwyn davies

    Winged Guest

    Yddap wrote:
    > In news:dc3l5a$r3c$,
    > gwyn davies <> opined very noisily:
    >
    >>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti
    >>spyware software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and
    >>adware. i eed something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    > Download, update and use *all* of the following:
    >
    > Spybot Search & Destroy
    > http://spybot.eon.net.au/
    > http://www.safer-networking.org/
    > http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
    > SpyBot S&D guide
    > http://www.chem.wisc.edu/~network/spybot/
    >
    > Ad-Aware
    > http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    > http://www.lavasoft.nu/
    >
    > Spyware Blaster
    > http://www.net-integration.net/tools/spywareblaster.html
    >
    > CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/cwshredder.zip

    The Microsoft beta spyware tool (formerly giant):

    Is a good tool though the various monitoring features use some cpu
    cycles. It identifies several items the others miss. None of them get
    everything, but these are a good start.

    All of the above tools except Microsoft beta can be obtained at the
    following site: http://www.majorgeeks.com under spyware menu

    Winged
    Winged, Jul 26, 2005
  4. gwyn davies

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
    <> wrote:

    >My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    >software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    >something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    The tools the others referenced will help but the most
    important prevention method is not to download crap
    from the internet.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 26, 2005
  5. gwyn davies

    ruinz Guest

    Jim Watt wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    >>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    >>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    > The tools the others referenced will help but the most
    > important prevention method is not to download crap
    > from the internet.
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.
    especially since by posting on usenet you are downloading and uploading
    "crap" to the server. By going online you are downloading "crap"
    constantly. Doing research for school can take you to a page which has
    an ad runing ADO's which can download spyware or adware on to your PC.
    You can get the programs by installing software. My point is, don't post
    a snide remark unless it is coupled with something usful. If you don't
    want to legitimately help a person, then don't and go on to the next thread.
    ruinz, Jul 26, 2005
  6. gwyn davies

    Jim Nugent Guest

    "ruinz" <> wrote in message
    > Jim Watt wrote:
    > > On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    > >>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    > >>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    > > The tools the others referenced will help but the most
    > > important prevention method is not to download crap
    > > from the internet.
    > > --
    > > Jim Watt
    > > http://www.gibnet.com

    > Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.
    > especially since by posting on usenet you are downloading and uploading
    > "crap" to the server.

    I think "ruinz" had a point but was being way, way too terse. There are some
    sites that you are just better of staying away from. My kids actually know
    more about this than I do, because they tend to "push the envelope" when it
    comes to web sites. A couple of things they know are- stay away from most
    mp3 download sites; never visit porn or gambling sites (they're not allowed
    of course anyway) and watch out for phony alerts that look like they came
    from your computer but are just painted by the site (clicking NO=clicking
    YES, as does clicking anywhere on the window- don't put your mouse in it,
    just <Alt F4> it! After a while you develop a sixth sense about this stuff.

    SpyBot S&D and Spywareblaster both make registry entries to either block or
    put into the "Restricted Zone" hundreds of known bad sites. They keep their
    list up to date, too.

    But there are other ways besides the internet to get spyware. One is actual
    program installs (most of these are either cheap or free). An example can be
    the "free" DVD player that comes on a lot of DVDs and autostarts an install
    (you can opt out). Other example are what common sense would tell you: free
    CD-ROMs in cereal boxes and stuff like that.

    No matter how much care you take you could get hit anyway so the programs
    mentioned in this thread are good to have around.
    --
    Jim
    "Be right back... Godot"
    Jim Nugent, Jul 26, 2005
  7. gwyn davies

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 04:37:10 -0600, ruinz <> wrote:

    >Jim Watt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 22:22:22 +0100, "gwyn davies"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    >>>software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    >>>something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    >> The tools the others referenced will help but the most
    >> important prevention method is not to download crap
    >> from the internet.
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >Thats got to be the most smart ass answer I've come across here.

    <nonsense snipped>

    Let me explain that a little bit better as you clearly haven't got a
    fucking clue.

    I spend hours, cleaning out peoples machines as a result of them
    downloading 'toolbars' 'smiley cursors' 'time synchronisers'
    and recently 'spyware removers' Someone sends them an executable
    file in an email and they run it.

    I get paid for this but try and educate the users to prevent it
    happening again.

    Children learn at an early age that if you see something in the
    street, you don't eat it because it might be a dog turd. People
    need to learn that the Internet is no different.

    If you don't address the issue of user responsibility you are
    ignoring the MAIN CAUSE of computer problems my advice
    is better than your rabid mindless ranting.

    So grow up, wise up and go forth.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jul 26, 2005
  8. gwyn davies

    Imhotep Guest

    gwyn davies wrote:

    > My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    > software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    > something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    Ditching windows will be the best thing you could possible do. Checkout the
    latest Macs or linux/FreeBSD...
    Imhotep, Jul 27, 2005
  9. gwyn davies

    Imhotep Guest

    gwyn davies wrote:

    > My computer is full of spyware,does anyone konw of any free anti spyware
    > software that actualy prevents and removes spyware and adware. i eed
    > something to stop it getting there in the first place.

    Switch to a Mac...
    Imhotep, Jul 27, 2005
  10. Max sux.

    Patrick Sullivan, Jul 28, 2005