    galante1
    galante13's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=1027
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=82164

    galante13, Feb 26, 2005

  2. galante13

    Rob K Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:32:30 -0500, galante13 wrote:

    <snipped>
    > My heatsink broke and had to be replaced. Through this process, my hard
    > drive was erased.

    Sure. You were in the kitchen, trying to cook a piece of salmon, and you
    over cooked it. That's exactly why the roof of your aunt's house
    collapsed.

    What *really* happened ?
    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13
    vf ab ybatre gurer, abg rira ng ubgznvy.

    Rob K, Feb 26, 2005

  3. galante13

    Killer Bite Guest

    "galante13" <> wrote in message

    > My heatsink broke and had to be replaced. Through this process, my hard
    > drive was erased. My laptop is 4 years old with a faded serial number
    > on the bottom. Since I can not identify this serial number, Compaq will
    > not help me. What can I do to get back up and running. I had windows xp.
    > I now have a black screen.
    >

    > --
    > galante13

    Maybe go out and get another laptop without a serial number, or by a legit
    one!

    Killer Bite, Feb 26, 2005
  4. galante13 wrote:

    > My heatsink broke and had to be replaced. Through this process, my hard
    > drive was erased. My laptop is 4 years old with a faded serial number
    > on the bottom. Since I can not identify this serial number, Compaq will
    > not help me. What can I do to get back up and running. I had windows xp.
    > I now have a black screen.

    USENET THEFT

    You can probably access this public Usenet newsgroup directly with some
    fine news client like slrn or pan or knode or others, rather than some clunky
    web interface, unless, say, you're at firewalled at work and IT hasn't
    favorably responded to your request for Usenet (NNTP) capability. Do
    *yourself* a favor: check out your options and take control of your own
    Usenet experience.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 27, 2005
  5. galante13

    galante13 Guest

    galante13, Feb 27, 2005
  6. galante13

    galante13 Guest

    The model of my laptop is 2715US. I researched the problem and th
    heatsink becoming separated is a problem with this model of compaq.
    had to purchase four minute screws($40). Once it was back together, i
    then prompted me to run quick restore. I followed thru with this.
    have to use three restore cds. Once I install the third, around 91% o
    being complete, I get an error message of something like imaging fil
    not valid. The loading process discontinues and therefore I have
    blank screen

    galante13, Feb 27, 2005
  7. galante13

    Killer Bite Guest

    "galante13" <> wrote in message

    > Killer Bite, I purchased my laptop from the navy exchange, brand
    > spanking new in 2001. Like I said, I've lived in three different states
    > and I've been deployed during the war. The paper work has been missed
    > placed/ lost. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a thief!

    You are having quite a bit of bad luck, aren't you?
    Couldn't you put another Operating System on it?
    If that isn't feasible, then buy another laptop, to be quite honest, a 4
    year old laptop isn't worth much is it?
    By the way, what the **** has the war got to do with anything?

    Killer Bite, Feb 27, 2005
  8. galante13

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:47:43 GMT, "Killer Bite"
    <> wrote:

    >"galante13" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Killer Bite, I purchased my laptop from the navy exchange, brand
    >> spanking new in 2001. Like I said, I've lived in three different states
    >> and I've been deployed during the war. The paper work has been missed
    >> placed/ lost. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a thief!
    >>

    >You are having quite a bit of bad luck, aren't you?
    >Couldn't you put another Operating System on it?
    >If that isn't feasible, then buy another laptop, to be quite honest, a 4
    >year old laptop isn't worth much is it?

    You'd be surprised what people will pay for old laptops. I just sold
    my old Toshiba (PIII-700) for just over $600. If it was a desktop of
    the same spec I'd have been lucky to see $100 for it.

    cluedweasel, Feb 27, 2005
  9. galante13

    Killer Bite Guest

    "cluedweasel" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 15:47:43 GMT, "Killer Bite"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"galante13" <> wrote in
    >>message
    >>>
    >>> Killer Bite, I purchased my laptop from the navy exchange, brand
    >>> spanking new in 2001. Like I said, I've lived in three different states
    >>> and I've been deployed during the war. The paper work has been missed
    >>> placed/ lost. Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not a thief!
    >>>

    >>You are having quite a bit of bad luck, aren't you?
    >>Couldn't you put another Operating System on it?
    >>If that isn't feasible, then buy another laptop, to be quite honest, a 4
    >>year old laptop isn't worth much is it?

    > You'd be surprised what people will pay for old laptops. I just sold
    > my old Toshiba (PIII-700) for just over $600. If it was a desktop of
    > the same spec I'd have been lucky to see $100 for it.

    To be perfectly honest, if it's 4 years old it's probably clockwork driven!
    Also looking at the "Subject" of this thread, the exclamation mark key is
    probably worn out.

    Killer Bite, Feb 27, 2005

    http://home.online.no/~shughes/a57998/quote.html#001a

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2005

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 28, 2005
  12. galante13

    elaich Guest

    cluedweasel <> wrote in

    > You'd be surprised what people will pay for old laptops.

    486s are still selling on ebay.

    elaich, Feb 28, 2005