    the language, what is the maximum number of six-letter words that the
    language can employ?

    Yes this is homework.

    pcbutts1, Oct 21, 2003

  2. pcbutts1

    Liz Guest

    46656 possible six letter words.
    http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/freitag1.html

    "pcbutts1" wrote

    Liz, Oct 21, 2003

  3. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Thank you Liz I was right but did not know how I was right, now I do.

    Thanks again

    http://www.seedsv.com/webdemo.htm

    pcbutts1, Oct 21, 2003
  4. pcbutts1

    bb3 Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > 46656 possible six letter words.
    > http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/freitag1.html

    But isn't this only if the same letter can be used twice? The scenario
    states "The tribe
    has a taboo against using the same letter twice in the same word. It's
    never done." If the same letter can't be used twice, then isn't the
    answer 6x5x4x3x2x1=720?

    From your link..."If there were no taboo then there would still be 6
    possible one letter words. Each you could extend to a two letter word by
    adding any one of the 6 letters. Thus there would be 6x6 = 36 possible
    two letter words. Similarly each of these two letter words can be
    extended to a three letter word by addind any of the six letters. Thus
    there are 6x6x6 = 216 possible three letter words. Continuing in this
    fashion, with no taboo there are 6x6x6x6x6x6 = 66 = 46656 possible six
    letter words."

    bb3, Oct 21, 2003
  5. pcbutts1

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Ok now I am really confused. My math wiz brother just told me that it is 720
    also. So with the taboo it is only 720, without it is 46656.

    pcbutts1, Oct 21, 2003
  6. pcbutts1

    bb3 Guest

    "pcbutts1" <> wrote in message
    > Ok now I am really confused. My math wiz brother just told me that it

    is 720
    > also. So with the taboo it is only 720, without it is 46656.

    That's the way I figured before I looked at Liz's link it, and it seems
    to confirm the 720.

    bb3, Oct 21, 2003
  7. pcbutts1

    Liz Guest

    "bb3" wrote:
    > "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > > 46656 possible six letter words.
    > > http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/freitag1.html

    > But isn't this only if the same letter can be used twice? The scenario
    > states "The tribe
    > has a taboo against using the same letter twice in the same word. It's
    > never done." If the same letter can't be used twice, then isn't the
    > answer 6x5x4x3x2x1=720?

    I sent "pcbutts1" a link; the answer is in the link. :)
    The link title should be "46656 possible six letter words?"
    instead of a period. My mistake!

    To determine the number of different ways a group of letters
    can be arranged, use the factorial of the number of letters in the group.
    Yes, 6 letters can be arranged in 720 ways.
    6!=(6x5x4x3x2x1)=720

    Give the boy a cigar! :)

    Liz, Oct 21, 2003
  8. pcbutts1

    Liz Guest

    My pleasure. Did you see my post to bb3? :)

    Liz, Oct 21, 2003
  9. pcbutts1

    bb3 Guest

    "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > "bb3" wrote:
    > > "Liz" <> wrote in message
    > > > 46656 possible six letter words.
    > > > http://mathcentral.uregina.ca/QQ/database/QQ.09.99/freitag1.html

    > > But isn't this only if the same letter can be used twice? The

    scenario
    > > states "The tribe
    > > has a taboo against using the same letter twice in the same word.

    It's
    > > never done." If the same letter can't be used twice, then isn't the
    > > answer 6x5x4x3x2x1=720?

    > I sent "pcbutts1" a link; the answer is in the link. :)
    > The link title should be "46656 possible six letter words?"
    > instead of a period. My mistake!
    >
    > To determine the number of different ways a group of letters
    > can be arranged, use the factorial of the number of letters in the

    group.
    > Yes, 6 letters can be arranged in 720 ways.
    > 6!=(6x5x4x3x2x1)=720
    >
    > Give the boy a cigar! :)

    Thank you dear.

    bb3, Oct 21, 2003