    must be OK. Another odd thing is that if I go in through the 'dial up
    connection' icon on 'my computer' I get through first time 90% of the time.
    I am using Onetel as my ISP. Anyone out there with any enlightenment?

    catgate, Aug 6, 2003

  2. catgate

    Owl Guest

    I bet you are using the "free" dial-up. So is everyone else and as a result
    the onetel servers cannot cope with the bandwidth. what do they do? just
    drop you out at random. At certain times the problem gets worse. 4pm when
    the kids all log on at once , 6pm when their parents get home and start
    chatting with the bits on the side from down the road, and midnight when
    they do it all over again talking to the americans who like to stay on line
    permanently. Oh I forgot. and all day sunday when the whole of the
    uk except me seems to be up to something!

    the only way to odds it at the present is to use a proper pay access isp

    "catgate" <> wrote in message
    > When I try to go online (either O.E. or IE6) about 60 percent of the time

    > get all the usual dial tones and handshake followed by finding my user

    name
    > and password, followed in turn by an apparent connection, but I am told
    > after a few seconds that the site/page was unobtainable. I am assuming

    that

    Owl, Aug 9, 2003