    I`ve checked for virus and spyware and defraged and scanned. What could it
    be?

    ---

    Neptune, Jun 26, 2003

  2. Hi.

    Take a look at the Task Manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL)
    select Processes. Look on the list for a program that is using an Unusually
    large amout of CPU ( 96-100) and stop it from running.
    Kim And John Holtz, Jun 26, 2003

  3. Neptune

    Neptune Guest

    Hi, i removed everything it allowed me to. A little bit faster, but still
    very slow. Any other suggestions. Thanks.

    Neptune, Jun 26, 2003
  4. Neptune

    °Mike° Guest

    Be sure to follow the guides exactly, and in order.

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 15:51:22 +0100, in
    <bdf1dl$ohe$>
    Neptune scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Neptune

    Neptune Guest

    Still bad. 2/3 pages ok then freezes again. carried out
    instructions,thanks,but not improved.
    i will find the problem and hurt it !!

    Neptune, Jun 26, 2003
  6. Neptune

    °Mike° Guest

    See if you have the same problem with Mozilla.
    http://www.mozilla.org/

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:28:43 +0100, in
    <bdfhln$i70$>
    Neptune scrawled:

    >Still bad. 2/3 pages ok then freezes again. carried out
    >instructions,thanks,but not improved.
    >i will find the problem and hurt it !!

    <snip>

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 26, 2003
  7. Neptune

    Neptune Guest

    It turned out to be worse. I`ve now got rid of all surplus stuff....loads up
    fine; after 2 pages on web it stops scrolling. I`m at my wits end !!

    Neptune, Jun 27, 2003
  8. Neptune

    °Mike° Guest

    What operating system are you using?

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 01:23:20 +0100, in
    <bdg2u4$hb8$>
    Neptune scrawled:

    --
    STGP, OGPE24HSHD
    °Mike°, Jun 27, 2003
  9. Neptune

    Neptune Guest

    98. No problems for months. Yes slower than other systems, but this is mad.
    Well, cleaned up everything, scaled down start ups, drive space large; modem
    / connection checked,getting online very quick, but pages stop after two,
    unless i`m willing to sit for hours.

    I think it is one little thing that needs twicking ! Could i have deleted a
    file which enables movement, or is a setting wrong in I.options ? I keep
    checking, but looks ok. Should i get a new explorer, if so how can i
    effectively ? Why does the freeserve icon not work ? Why would that stop ?

    A page will download quick, without images, ( i have images disabled ) but
    it will not let me scroll.

    What next, do you think ?

    Neptune, Jun 27, 2003
  10. Neptune

    trout Guest

    Neptune wrote:

    > 98. No problems for months. Yes slower than other systems, but this
    > is mad. Well, cleaned up everything, scaled down start ups, drive
    > space large; modem / connection checked,getting online very quick,
    > but pages stop after two, unless i`m willing to sit for hours.
    >
    > I think it is one little thing that needs twicking ! Could i have
    > deleted a file which enables movement, or is a setting wrong in
    > I.options ? I keep checking, but looks ok. Should i get a new
    > explorer, if so how can i effectively ? Why does the freeserve icon
    > not work ? Why would that stop ?
    >
    > A page will download quick, without images, ( i have images disabled
    > ) but it will not let me scroll.
    >
    > What next, do you think ?

    Maybe, while Mikes batteries are re-charging; you should have a look
    around the the Freeserve site.
    Probably a good place to start:
    <http://www.freeserve.com/help/connection/connectiontips.htm>

    Also navigate around a bit, look at the FAQs, and particularly the
    section on The Freeserve Connection Kit: http://tinyurl.com/femm
    --
    "Have fun."
    trout, Jun 27, 2003
  11. Neptune

    °Mike° Guest

    First of all, forget the Freeserve icon - ISP dialer softwares
    are totally unnecessary, and may be even contribute to problems
    such as yours. It's far better to create your own connectoid.

    What I would do now, is (in order):

    1. Have BT check your line for noise, and ask them to up the gain.
    Tell them you are connecting at around 28000 - they won't do
    anything if your connection speed is above a certain level.
    2. If you have a hosts file (no extension) in your Windows folder,
    rename it to hosts.bak .
    3. Uninstall and re-install Dial Up Networking and TCP/IP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/search/preview.aspx?id=kb;en-us;181599
    4. Reboot.
    5. Tweak your modem. Check your modem's manual for any initialisation
    strings that may help.
    http://www.techspot.com/tweaks/modem/
    http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/modem/
    A reboot may be necessary for certain registry tweaks.

    If you STILL have problems, log on to a different ISP, if possible,
    to rule out Freeserve. There are plenty of 'pay-as-you-go' ISPs
    that won't cost you a penny to sign up to - you just pay for the
    telephone costs. FreeUK is one that springs to mind.

    And if you STILL have problems with a different ISP, then
    consider a completely fresh re-install of Windows.

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 08:49:23 +0100, in
    <bdgt2g$f4a$>
    Neptune scrawled:

    --