    me. I can't get on the internet through internet explorer? I ticked all the
    boxes with green ticks and still it won't connect. It will let Outlook
    express through though. Does anyone know how to fix this?
    Adam, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Adam

    The Prophecy Guest

    Adam wrote:
    > Can anyone help me, I have Zone Alarm 4.5 and the instructions just
    > confuse me. I can't get on the internet through internet explorer? I
    > ticked all the boxes with green ticks and still it won't connect. It
    > will let Outlook express through though. Does anyone know how to fix
    > this?

    Please provide more information. Your Operating System? What are "the boxes
    with green ticks" and where are they located?

    --
    Creating a Good Newsgroup Post:

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#asking
    The Prophecy, Apr 29, 2004

  3. Adam

    Adam Guest

    Xp Home, The boxes with the green ticks are in Zone alarm 4.5, they allow
    you to set what programs are allowed to use the internet. Thanks.

    Adam, Apr 29, 2004
  4. Adam

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message
    > Xp Home, The boxes with the green ticks are in Zone alarm 4.5, they allow
    > you to set what programs are allowed to use the internet. Thanks.
    >
    > "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message
    > > Adam wrote:
    > > > Can anyone help me, I have Zone Alarm 4.5 and the instructions just
    > > > confuse me. I can't get on the internet through internet explorer? I
    > > > ticked all the boxes with green ticks and still it won't connect. It
    > > > will let Outlook express through though. Does anyone know how to fix
    > > > this?

    You're talking Application Control and most home users don't have a *clue*
    as to what and what not to allow to run or make contact with the Internet.
    The more I look at Application Control and the other *bloat* crap that these
    so called personal firewalls have in them, the more I realize how absolutely
    * worthless* they are in the protection.

    However, I'll point you to comp.security.firewalls as they will be able to
    help you there.

    Hell, you're better off just using XP's FW, a good AV, and Active Ports
    (free).

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Adam

    The Prophecy Guest

    Duane Arnold wrote:
    > "Adam" <> wrote in message
    >> Xp Home, The boxes with the green ticks are in Zone alarm 4.5, they
    >> allow you to set what programs are allowed to use the internet.
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> "The Prophecy" <> wrote in message

    > You're talking Application Control and most home users don't have a
    > *clue* as to what and what not to allow to run or make contact with
    > the Internet. The more I look at Application Control and the other
    > *bloat* crap that these so called personal firewalls have in them,
    > the more I realize how absolutely * worthless* they are in the
    > protection.
    >
    > However, I'll point you to comp.security.firewalls as they will be
    > able to help you there.
    >
    > Hell, you're better off just using XP's FW, a good AV, and Active
    > Ports (free).
    >
    > Duane :)

    XP Firewall? The only thing it's good for is taking up HD space!
    The Prophecy, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Adam

    Jeremy Guest

    So, you just use the XP sieve ware, not something I would brag about in
    public :)

    JJ

    Jeremy, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Adam

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > So, you just use the XP sieve ware, not something I would brag about in
    > public :)
    >
    > JJ

    No gentlemen I don't use XP's ICF at the present time. No, what I use is a
    NAT router, BlackIce, and IPsec to protect the machines on inbound and
    outbound threats on the LAN.

    The ICF on the XP O/S is no different than using a NAT router. One of the
    main purposes of the NAT router is to stop unsolicited inbound traffic to
    the machine. If an application on the machine doesn't solicited the traffic
    from a remote application, the ICF just like any other host based FW, NAT
    router or FW appliance will stop the unsolicited inbound traffic.

    To protect things such as the services that are running on the machine,
    Application Control on a personal FW solution is useless when the PFW is not
    integrated with the O/S, as malware such as a Trojan, spyware, etc, etc will
    beat any PFW solution to the TCP/IP before a PFW can even get started on the
    TCP/IP to stop it at boot. As long as the machine is not booted, Application
    Control is affective, other than that, it's kind of useless.

    Time and time again, I see some poster indicate, I have stopped this unknown
    request by svchost from accessing the Internet with my Application Control
    on the PFW. And yet they turn around and let svchost access the Internet for
    some other reason. What happen to the reason that one stopped svchost from
    accessing the Internet, because it's never svchost that wants access as it's
    just the messenger for the O/S and other programs that use svchost on their
    behalf, such as Trojans and spyware? The list is long in this area of I
    stopped something but I know not the reason why.

    IPsec on the Win2k, XP, and 2K3 O/S (s) can get to the TCP/IP connection
    first at boot to stop inbound or outbound and in many ways is far superior
    to a third party host based FW solution.

    http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_traffic_with_ipsec.htm

    I also know what a FW is suppose to do. Do you? Do you see anything about
    Application Control and the rest of the bloat crap that's in a these PFW
    solutions, that only confuses the user if they don't know what is happening
    in the link?

    http://www.firewall-software.com/firewall_faqs/what_is_a_firewall.html

    You're right, I go to where I am suppose to go to secure the machine and
    that's to the O/S, if you have one that security can be implemented, because
    the buck stops at the O/S and everything else is secondary to it. That
    includes the NAT router, BlackIce, AV and any other third party solution in
    this area. If the O/S is not secure, than nothing on the machine can be
    secure.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    And BTW, the XP FW on the release of SP 2 will have Application Control and
    will be able to get to the TCP/IP first at boot, since it is integrated with
    the O/S.

    Currently, IPsec and ICF on the XP O/S is a solid combination. I think the
    combination should be even better with the release of SP 2 for XP.

    But I also use other tools to look around for myself from time to time and
    not depend solely upon a single element in the protection. That and my
    common sense and not do stupid things with happy fingers goes a long way.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 30, 2004
  8. Adam

    Jeremy Guest

    Black Ice

    Hehehehehe

    I would not be so confident. You seem to know your stuff but Black Ice,
    come on, you have got to be kidding.

    Hope you did not get burned by the holes and latest black ice worm.
    BTW the website needs considerable work to make it readable and give a
    little more information before purchase.
    JJ

    Jeremy, Apr 30, 2004
  9. Adam

    Guest

    "Adam" <> wrote in message news:<S6Xjc.955$>...
    > Can anyone help me, I have Zone Alarm 4.5 and the instructions just confuse
    > me. I can't get on the internet through internet explorer? I ticked all the
    > boxes with green ticks and still it won't connect. It will let Outlook
    > express through though. Does anyone know how to fix this?

    Adam,

    The best way to use ZoneAlarm is to set it to warn you when a program
    asks for access to the internet, this stops malicious programs from
    accessing the internet without your knowledge. When you mention
    ticking all the green boxes I assume you meant just for IE and not all
    the other programs too? It depends on what errors you are receiving
    when trying to connect. Firstly change all the ticks to question marks
    then try and connect, IE should ask you for permission to connect then
    you choose yes and tick the box to remember the settings.
    As there are quite a few settings and I am not sure exactly how you
    are connected (dialup, DSL or Cable) or what errors you are receiving
    then maybe resetting ZA's preferences and starting again is a good
    idea. As the program is on my home machine and not this one then I
    can't check the different preferences myself.

    Stuart
    , Apr 30, 2004
  10. Adam

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jeremy <> wrote in

    > Black Ice
    >
    > Hehehehehe
    >
    > I would not be so confident. You seem to know your stuff but Black
    > Ice, come on, you have got to be kidding.

    I am always going to be confident with any computer technology, because
    that's what my 30 years plus in the Information Technology field allows
    me to be just that -- confident.

    > Hope you did not get burned by the holes and latest black ice worm.
    > BTW the website needs considerable work to make it readable and give a
    > little more information before purchase.
    > JJ

    In the couple of years I have been using BI, I have not had any problems
    with it and with anything else in using the product. I know exactly how
    to use BI out of its automatic settings; therefore nothing was affected
    on any machine, in addition to the one that had IIS exposed to the public
    Internet.

    All you have told me here is that you don't know anything and you're just
    another *Gibson* brain washed home user disciple, most likely a teenager
    or not far from that age group by the nature of your post.

    You post to me you had better come correct, otherwise, I'll consider you
    to be a *clown* and some kind of a troll.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Apr 30, 2004
  11. Adam

    Jeremy Guest

    Tough talk, I helped design and perfect the model for Aarpnet in the
    early 70's while working for the British Ministry of Defense.

    I just find some of your assumptions a little amusing. Kill file me for
    ever, I am 50 years old and really do not care any more.

    KK

    Jeremy, May 1, 2004
  12. Adam

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Jeremy <> wrote in news:4092F415.6AC37A75
    @ddnet20000.com:

    > Tough talk, I helped design and perfect the model for Aarpnet in the
    > early 70's while working for the British Ministry of Defense.
    >
    > I just find some of your assumptions a little amusing. Kill file me for
    > ever, I am 50 years old and really do not care any more.

    Old like me *Tool Tips* clown, you should ask yourself this. Does Duane
    give a damn as to what you care about anymore? Maybe, you're too damn
    old, over the hill and on your last legs to care anymore. <g>

    You should drink some prune juice and take a Prozac and go stand in the
    corner somewhere for me and shut the Hell up old troll.

    I am not going to *killfile* you as I should. You're too damn old and
    should know better than this in the first place with the HeHe BS, like a
    little kid.

    I am here to help people if I can and not debate some kind of BS with you
    or anyone like you.

    Duane
    Duane Arnold, May 1, 2004