Help! XP Reinstall wont see exisitng files or programs

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by md, Dec 7, 2003.

  1. md

    md Guest

    Please Help! Our home computer all of a sudden would not see the System file
    and reboot. It is a PC with Windows XP Home (not SP1) on it. Could not
    get it booted.

    So, I downloaded the 6-disk XP Boot disks, and booted off that.
    Tried Repair, but would not do anything after i hit R and then the
    c:\windows location.
    So did a reinstall
    Went OK.
    HOWEVER, Win xp is booting up fine, and if I look at my C: drive I see under
    'Program Files' all my old programs, but XP doesnt see these. When i hit
    Start>All Programs, I only get the few programs that come with XP. Can't
    see my Office 2000 programs or Norton or FrontPage etc. When I go into
    'Program Files' and into Office folder and try to click directly on Excel or
    MS Word, i get the error message saying:
    "Must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you
    originally installed this application."

    How can i reactivate all the programs that are on the HDD to work with the
    new XP install? Or, do I have to reinstall everything. Is there any way to
    have XP search for programs already on the HDD? Any advice would be greatly
    appreciated.

    Thank you....Please respond here or to me at: mdibner (at_) bioability (dot)
    com

    mark
    md, Dec 7, 2003

  2. md

    PJB Guest

    "md" <> wrote in message

    > How can i reactivate all the programs that are on the HDD

    to work with the
    > new XP install? Or, do I have to reinstall everything.

    Is there any way to
    > have XP search for programs already on the HDD? Any

    advice would be greatly
    > appreciated.

    You need to re-install all your applications to use them

    P.
    PJB, Dec 7, 2003

  3. md

    Robert Guest

    On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 07:19:49 GMT, "md" <>
    wrote:

    >Please Help! Our home computer all of a sudden would not see the System file
    >and reboot. It is a PC with Windows XP Home (not SP1) on it. Could not
    >get it booted.
    >
    >So, I downloaded the 6-disk XP Boot disks, and booted off that.
    >Tried Repair, but would not do anything after i hit R and then the
    >c:\windows location.
    >So did a reinstall
    >Went OK.
    >HOWEVER, Win xp is booting up fine, and if I look at my C: drive I see under
    >'Program Files' all my old programs, but XP doesnt see these. When i hit
    >Start>All Programs, I only get the few programs that come with XP. Can't
    >see my Office 2000 programs or Norton or FrontPage etc. When I go into
    >'Program Files' and into Office folder and try to click directly on Excel or
    >MS Word, i get the error message saying:
    >"Must be installed to run. Please run Setup from the location where you
    >originally installed this application."
    >
    >How can i reactivate all the programs that are on the HDD to work with the
    >new XP install? Or, do I have to reinstall everything. Is there any way to
    >have XP search for programs already on the HDD? Any advice would be greatly
    >appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you....Please respond here or to me at: mdibner (at_) bioability (dot)
    >com
    >
    >mark

    Imho your going to have to reinstal everything, others might know of a
    worksround.
    Robert, Dec 7, 2003