HELP!!! x64 Installation Nightmare!!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by RandalD, May 26, 2006.

  1. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    Any advice re the probs I am experiencing would be greatly appreciated.

    I have just purchased a new AMD 4800+, 2GB RAM, 2 * Seagate Barracuda
    7200 (250GB) SATA, Radeon X1300 512MB, CL X-Fi Xtreme.

    I have tried to install XP x64 about 10 times now with varied results.
    Initially the install wasnearly complete and the system rebooted and
    then when it got to the logon screen it kept rebooting. Then after a
    couple of reboots it hit a STOP error (blue screen) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT. I
    have ran mem test and even reseated the CPU to see if that was causing
    the prob, but no joy. I have since managed to install XP 32 with no
    issues......

    Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance of any replies..............

    --
    RandalD
    RandalD's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=15426

    www.techarena.in

    RandalD, May 26, 2006

  2. RandalD

    Rick Guest

    What motherboard are you using and do you have your drives in a RAID
    configuration?

    Rick, May 26, 2006

  3. RandalD

    Spicer Guest

    Spicer, May 26, 2006
  4. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    Drives are in a non-RAID config. Motherboard is an ATI socket 939. I'm
    unsure of the exact make as I have unable to obtain to extract this
    info from the system using Everest and similar apps. Just displays as
    unknown! 8-(

    Will contact the pc supplier and try and find out the make/model.....

    RandalD, May 26, 2006
  5. Did you supply any (64bit!) SATA driver to the installation? Remove any
    periferals that is not required, like sound.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 26, 2006
  6. especially any USB devices

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2006
  7. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    Hi. I was unable to find any 64bit drivers on Seagate's website.... Any
    idea if/where I could get them from for Barracuda 7200 (250GB) drive??

    No I haven't tried with all PCI cards removed (i.e. Sound card etc..).
    I have no USB devices attached, so that should be OK.

    RandalD, May 26, 2006
  8. RandalD

    John Barnes Guest

    The drivers you need should be available from the motherboard or chipset
    sites

    John Barnes, May 26, 2006
  9. Yes, John is right, it is not the Barra's that need the driver, it is the
    chipset that needs it to drive the disks. Some chipsets for the lack of a
    driver might try and configure them as IDE drives but then you wouldn't have
    any SATA benefit, but in a 64bit environment the driver has to be 64bit, and
    you supply it on a floppy to the installation by the so called 'F6' method.

    If you have any bit of documentation that came with the board, it should
    also identify the chipset. You installed something 32bit? Try and run
    Sandra or something similar to see what is the chipset. It may be identified
    both with producer's name and a version number, you need both to identify a
    driver.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 26, 2006
  10. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    RandalD, May 26, 2006
  11. In addition to the other suggestions, check the memory.

    If the mobo is a recent design (as it almost has to be) it should support
    SATA without having to supply drivers.

    Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 26, 2006
  12. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    Colin Barnhorst Wrote:
    > In addition to the other suggestions, check the memory.
    >
    > If the mobo is a recent design (as it almost has to be) it shoul
    > support
    > SATA without having to supply drivers.
    >
    > Make sure the BIOS is up to date.
    >
    > "RandalD" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Any advice re the probs I am experiencing would be greatl

    > appreciated.
    > >
    > > I have just purchased a new AMD 4800+, 2GB RAM, 2 * Seagat

    > Barracuda
    > > 7200 (250GB) SATA, Radeon X1300 512MB, CL X-Fi Xtreme.
    > >
    > > I have tried to install XP x64 about 10 times now with varie

    > results.
    > > Initially the install wasnearly complete and the system rebooted and
    > > then when it got to the logon screen it kept rebooting. Then after a
    > > couple of reboots it hit a STOP error (blue screen) PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

    > > have ran mem test and even reseated the CPU to see if that wa

    > causing
    > > the prob, but no joy. I have since managed to install XP 32 with no
    > > issues......
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance of any replies..............
    > >

    > > --
    > > RandalD

    > > RandalD's Profile

    > http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=15426
    > > View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=518751
    > >
    > > www.techarena.in

    I ran mem tests when I first ran into probs (all clear) and als
    re-seated the CPU, just in case. I've just tried installing again an
    it appears that the install is unable to detect any mass storag
    devices......

    Details from BIOS check I have just run:

    BIOS Type: Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS
    BIOS ID: 02/16/2006-RS/RX482SB400-6A666PRAC
    OEM Sign-On: BIOS-I-4M (2K060216B)
    Chipset: AMD 1100 rev 0

    Struggling to find location for BIOS updates......??

    --
    Randal

    www.techarena.i

    RandalD, May 26, 2006
  13. O.K. - Didn't you get a system CD to go with the Motherboard? Sure you
    installed all of it?

    I had a peek at AMD's - I wasn't exactly falling over any information.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 27, 2006
  14. It sounds like you do need to supply the SATA driver at F6. Do you have a
    diskette and does the system have a floppy drive (if not, they are cheap
    enough)?

    Colin Barnhorst, May 27, 2006
  15. Hello Colin, it's been a while.

    Welcome back!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 27, 2006
  16. I was a few months recovering from a health issue. Thanks for the greeting.

    Colin Barnhorst, May 27, 2006
  17. Its great to have you back Colin, we missed you. :)
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], May 27, 2006
  18. As Colin says later in this thread - if it isn't recognizing your HD, you
    need to supply drivers during installation by pressing F6 when you see the
    prompt at the bottom of the initial blue text screen. Then, when prompted,
    press S to supply drivers, insert your driver disk in the floppy drive, and
    hit enter to load the drivers.

    The tough part - if you don't know the mobo mfg, and can't manage to figure
    out whose chipset the SATA controller is, it will be hard to get the right
    drivers. Unless you actually got a mobo CD from your supplier. In which
    case, you need to extract them from that onto a floppy.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 27, 2006
  19. RandalD

    Rick Guest

    It looks like you BIOS is fairly recent - 02/16/2006

    If you did not get a system CD with your computer, you should be able to
    download drivers from the ATI web site.

    What brand and model computer is it? You should have gotten some sort
    of system CD and a manual when you bought it. Where did you buy the
    computer?

    Rick, May 27, 2006
  20. RandalD

    RandalD Guest

    Rick Wrote:
    > It looks like you BIOS is fairly recent - 02/16/2006
    >
    > If you did not get a system CD with your computer, you should be abl
    > download drivers from the ATI web site.
    >
    > What brand and model computer is it? You should have gotten some sort
    > of system CD and a manual when you bought it. Where did you buy the
    > computer?
    >

    > RandalD wrote:
    > >
    > > I ran mem tests when I first ran into probs (all clear) and also
    > > re-seated the CPU, just in case. I've just tried installing agai

    > and
    > > it appears that the install is unable to detect any mass storage
    > > devices......
    > >
    > > Details from BIOS check I have just run:
    > >
    > > BIOS Type: Phoenix - Award WorkstationBIOS
    > > BIOS ID: 02/16/2006-RS/RX482SB400-6A666PRAC
    > > OEM Sign-On: BIOS-I-4M (2K060216B)
    > > Chipset: AMD 1100 rev 0
    > >
    > > Struggling to find location for BIOS updates......???

    Well I'm not sure exactly how I sorted this but it is all now working!
    The only thing I did different was install XP 32bit and dual boot wit
    x64. I managed to find all 64 bit drivers for ATI, X-Fi etc...bu
    didn't have to supply any drivers at install via F6 option........

    Anyway, thanks to everyone that replied with advice on the prob
    experienced.

    Cheer

    --
    Randal