    I buy DVD from USA, but i'm live in Europe
    Can anyone give me a solution to the wrong region problems om DVD. Is there
    something in my settings that I can change.

    gh, Nov 8, 2004

  2. gh

    FAQmeister Guest

    FAQmeister, Nov 8, 2004

  3. gh

    DVDfanatico Guest

    You can buy a region free DVD player in the US for about $40. They also sell
    them on EBAY and JWIN and RItech make some. Windows computers have hacks you
    can find at www.dvdidle.com or through a Google search (Don't you #$%&!HATE it
    when people tell you to search Google?!

    LOL
    -DVDfanatico
    Oh, yeah, amazon's foreign sites sometimes sell them.

    DVDfanatico, Nov 9, 2004
  4. gh

    Sound Junkie Guest

    On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:38:51 +0100, "gh" <> wrote:

    >I buy DVD from USA, but i'm live in Europe
    >Can anyone give me a solution to the wrong region problems om DVD. Is there
    >something in my settings that I can change.

    You have a few choices:

    1) Hack your DVD player to make it region-free. Not always possible,
    but you never know... In most cases you can enter a certain
    combination from your remote to "unlock" the player. Just do your
    research on the Net and see what can be done about your particular
    model.

    2) Get a region-free DVD player. More and more appear on the market,
    and they are fairly cheap (some cost under $100). Players like BBK or
    Akai can even transcode between different TV systems, like PAL to NTSC
    and NTSC to PAL, which really helps when you don't have a multi-system
    TV.

    3) Remove protection from your DVDs and burn them back on DVD-R or
    DVD+R unprotected. Use DVD Decrypter to make unencrypted dump to your
    HDD, and burn them back with DVD Shrink (it can use Nero as the
    underlying burning engine). Be aware that most good quality DVDs are
    dual-layered (up to 8.5 GB in size), while standard DVD-R/+R are
    single-layered (up to 4.7 GB). So you will have to split your movies
    into 2 disks (to preserve quality) or re-compress them to fit on 1
    disk (with quiality loss). Both operations can be done with DVD
    Shrink.

    Dual-layer DVD recordables are coming to life. While the DL burners
    are widely available now (also, many existing single-layer burners can
    be re-flashed to burn DL disks), the media blanks are still very
    scarce and expensive. (As of now, about $8-10/each in the USA, the
    cheapest ones.)

    http://www.dvddecrypter.com
    http://www.dvdshrink.org

    4) Watch DVDs using your PC or laptop as a DVD player. For that you
    will need to get a region-free DVD-ROM drive (older models, so-called
    RPC1) or, if you have a newer, region-protected model (RPC2), re-flash
    it using hacked firmware. About 80-90% of DVD-ROM drives can be
    unlocked this way.

    Obviously, you will need a TV out to connect your PC to your TV (or
    DVI-D/HDMI port, if your TV is compatible) and appropriate audio
    output, depending on your amplifier capabilities, digital or analog.

    http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

    Hope this will help...

    Sound Junkie, Nov 9, 2004