Help with xcopy

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by iROK, Jan 9, 2008.

  1. iROK

    iROK Guest

    I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy the Microsoft
    Publisher files below get read but not copied to the backup (0 File(s)
    copied).
    Some Publisher files in the folder do, so it's nothing in an 'exclude'
    file etc.
    I looked at the file attributes and none of the files are read-only,
    hidden or in use etc.

    I have included a log file (incremlog.txt) to show you the output
    where it references the offending files.
    I have also included the relevant section of the backup .bat file to
    show you the switches that are being passed to xcopy.

    Any ideas on why just these files are not being copied would be
    greatfully appreciated.

    Copy of output (incremlog.txt) text:

    ******** Daily Incremental Backup started on Wed 01/09/2008 at
    11:21:16.89 ********

    --- Amanda started on Wed 01/09/2008 at 11:21:16.93 ---
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Desktop\Microsoft Publisher.lnk
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Desktop\Aware.url
    2 File(s) copied
    0 File(s) copied
    0 File(s) copied
    0 File(s) copied
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\April-June
    2007.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\XFC CHRISTMAS OPEN
    HOUSE.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\ddsads.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\ddsadvertising.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\ddsopenhouse.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\ddsworkshop07.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\name badge.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training2.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training3.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training4.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training5.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training6.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized Training8.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized! training.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized! training1.pub
    \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This Year I'm
    Gonna Get Organized7.pub
    0 File(s) copied
    --- Amanda completed on Wed 01/09/2008 at 11:21:27.20 ---

    ******** Daily Incremental Backup completed on Wed 01/09/2008 at
    11:31:52.55 ********

    Copy of relevant section of .bat file:

    @echo off
    echo @@@@@@@@@@@@@ Daily Incremental Backup @@@@@@@@@@@@@
    set start=%TIME%
    set date=%DATE%
    echo.>> incremlog.txt
    echo ******** Daily Incremental Backup started on %DATE% at %START
    %>>incremlog.txt ********
    echo.>> incremlog.txt
    echo --- Amanda started on %DATE% at %TIME%>>incremlog.txt ---
    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Desktop\*.*" "e:\Network
    Backup\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Desktop\"/d/s/e/c/y/h/r/z
    >>incremlog.txt

    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Application Data
    \Microsoft\Address Book\*.*" "e:\Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and
    Settings\Amanda\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\"/d/s/e/c/y/h/
    r/z >>incremlog.txt
    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Favorites\*.*" "e:
    \Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Favorites\"/d/s/e/
    c/y/h/r/z >>incremlog.txt
    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Local Settings
    \Application Data\Identities\*.*" "e:\Network Backup\Amanda\Documents
    and Settings\Amanda\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\"/d/s/e/
    c/y/h/r/z /EXCLUDE:exclude.txt >>incremlog.txt
    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\*.*" "e:
    \Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\"/d/
    s/e/c/y/h/r/z /EXCLUDE:amanda_mydoc_exclude.txt+exclude.txt
    >>incremlog.txt

    echo --- Amanda completed on %DATE% at %TIME%>>incremlog.txt ---
    echo.>> incremlog.txt
    echo ******** Daily Incremental Backup completed on %DATE% at %TIME
    %>>incremlog.txt ********
    exit

    thanks
    iROK, Jan 9, 2008

  2. iROK

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:31:47 -0800 (PST), iROK wrote:

    >I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy the Microsoft
    >Publisher files below get read but not copied to the backup (0 File(s)
    >copied).

    You didn't mention what OS/version of xcopy, just in case.

    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm xxcopy has been mentioned in 24HSHD many
    times as a better xcopy.

    Confirm file access by testing with a different method, 7Zip, WinZip,
    WinRAR avoid the self written script incase of errors.

    You get a log output like, this from WinZip
    Warning: could not open for reading: D:\Documents and
    Settings\<user>\Application Data\Powermarks\pm35.cache

    You have xcopy <src>\*.* <dst> it's imposisble to see what the filenames
    are not getting backed up. All your script tells you is

    xcopy1 files , xcopy2 files and xcopy3 files is failing, not on which
    file.

    xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Application Data
    \Microsoft\Address Book\*.*" "e:\Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and
    Settings\Amanda\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\"/d/s/e/c/y/h/
    r/z >>incremlog.txt

    Is the 1st failure, or at least why in the Address Book folder it's any
    file OE, IE is holding open.

    xcopy doesn't have much in the way of errorlevels, basically ok /
    failed.

    At work I use Perl to do the same job, has some benefits can glob all
    files names into a single list before backup, test each file attribs /
    date/time as needed, can add error codes easily and all the file names
    sent to Winzip command line without all the long paths you have.

    It ends up something like this, but it's been 4 years since having to
    amend it, but it's close enough.

    wzzip options inputfile outputfile

    >Some Publisher files in the folder do, so it's nothing in an 'exclude'
    >file etc.
    >I looked at the file attributes and none of the files are read-only,
    >hidden or in use etc.
    >
    >I have included a log file (incremlog.txt) to show you the output
    >where it references the offending files.
    >I have also included the relevant section of the backup .bat file to
    >show you the switches that are being passed to xcopy.
    >
    >Any ideas on why just these files are not being copied would be
    >greatfully appreciated.

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, Jan 9, 2008

  3. "iROK" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > Settings\Amanda\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\"/d/s/e/c/y/h/
    > r/z >>incremlog.txt
    > xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Favorites\*.*" "e:
    > \Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Favorites\"/d/s/e/
    > c/y/h/r/z >>incremlog.txt
    > xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Local Settings
    > \Application Data\Identities\*.*" "e:\Network Backup\Amanda\Documents
    > and Settings\Amanda\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\"/d/s/e/
    > c/y/h/r/z /EXCLUDE:exclude.txt >>incremlog.txt
    > xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\*.*" "e:
    > \Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\"/d/
    > s/e/c/y/h/r/z /EXCLUDE:amanda_mydoc_exclude.txt+exclude.txt
    >>>incremlog.txt

    > echo --- Amanda completed on %DATE% at %TIME%>>incremlog.txt ---

    Why don't you use ROBOCOPY instead? You can add it to your PATH to have it
    as a normal command in XP, and it's now a standard command in Vista. It's
    much more powerful than XCOPY, and there's a GUI for it that you can Google
    for, as well.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jan 10, 2008
  4. iROK

    Guest

    On Jan 9, 4:42 pm, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:31:47 -0800 (PST), iROK wrote:
    > >I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy the Microsoft
    > >Publisher files below get read but not copied to the backup (0 File(s)
    > >copied).

    > You didn't mention what OS/version of xcopy, just in case.
    >
    > http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htmxxcopy has been mentioned in 24HSHD many
    > times as a better xcopy.
    >
    > Confirm file access by testing with a different method, 7Zip, WinZip,
    > WinRAR avoid the self written script incase of errors.
    >
    > You get a log output like, this from WinZip
    > Warning: could not open for reading: D:\Documents and
    > Settings\<user>\Application Data\Powermarks\pm35.cache
    >
    > You have xcopy <src>\*.* <dst> it's imposisble to see what the filenames
    > are not getting backed up. All your script tells you is
    >
    > xcopy1 files , xcopy2 files and xcopy3 files is failing, not on which
    > file.
    >
    > xcopy "\\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\Application Data
    > \Microsoft\Address Book\*.*" "e:\Network Backup\Amanda\Documents and
    > Settings\Amanda\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book\"/d/s/e/c/y/h/
    > r/z >>incremlog.txt
    >
    > Is the 1st failure, or at least why in the Address Book folder it's any
    > file OE, IE is holding open.
    >
    > xcopy doesn't have much in the way of errorlevels, basically ok /
    > failed.
    >
    > At work I use Perl to do the same job, has some benefits can glob all
    > files names into a single list before backup, test each file attribs /
    > date/time as needed, can add error codes easily and all the file names
    > sent to Winzip command line without all the long paths you have.
    >
    > It ends up something like this, but it's been 4 years since having to
    > amend it, but it's close enough.
    >
    > wzzip options inputfile outputfile
    >
    > >Some Publisher files in the folder do, so it's nothing in an 'exclude'
    > >file etc.
    > >I looked at the file attributes and none of the files are read-only,
    > >hidden or in use etc.

    > >I have included a log file (incremlog.txt) to show you the output
    > >where it references the offending files.
    > >I have also included the relevant section of the backup .bat file to
    > >show you the switches that are being passed to xcopy.

    > >Any ideas on why just these files are not being copied would be
    > >greatfully appreciated.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Me

    Thanks for the help.

    Just to clarify, W2K OS SP4
    This is backing up every file it is supposed to except for the ones it
    listed in the log:
[...]

    strange.
    , Jan 10, 2008
  5. iROK

    Guest

    I tried to open these offending documents from my computer and it says
    they are 'locked and currently being used by another program' which
    isn't the case. Any other .pub file from this remote directory I can
    open, just hte ones in my post. Any ideas why they would be locked and
    how to unlock them?
    , Jan 10, 2008
  6. iROK

    Guest

    wrote:

    >I tried to open these offending documents from my computer and it says
    >they are 'locked and currently being used by another program' which
    >isn't the case. Any other .pub file from this remote directory I can
    >open, just hte ones in my post. Any ideas why they would be locked and
    >how to unlock them?

    reboot.
    --

    How To Make Fire Balls
    www.metacafe.com/watch/1029494/how_to_make_fire_balls/
  7. iROK

    chuckcar Guest

    iROK <> wrote in

    > I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy the Microsoft
    > Publisher files below get read but not copied to the backup (0 File(s)
    > copied).
    > Some Publisher files in the folder do, so it's nothing in an 'exclude'
    > file etc.
    > I looked at the file attributes and none of the files are read-only,
    > hidden or in use etc.
    >
    > I have included a log file (incremlog.txt) to show you the output
    > where it references the offending files.
    > I have also included the relevant section of the backup .bat file to
    > show you the switches that are being passed to xcopy.
    >
    > Any ideas on why just these files are not being copied would be
    > greatfully appreciated.

    <snip>

    Without following *all* the options you have included (that being /z),
    it looks like it isn't recursing through the directories, only copying
    one file as opposed to paths. also /s /e is redundant, /e does both. /t
    along with /e might fix it as well, but *don't* use /t without /e.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 10, 2008
  8. iROK

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 08:58:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:

    >I tried to open these offending documents from my computer and it says
    >they are 'locked and currently being used by another program' which
    >isn't the case. Any other .pub file from this remote directory I can
    >open, just hte ones in my post. Any ideas why they would be locked and
    >how to unlock them?

    That's better I get that with some video files. I have a program called
    QuickView Plus that hooks into explorer. Even though I haven't played
    any files and just rebooted. I still get file locked in use by another
    process. Sometimes I don't, haven't been bothered about fixing it.

    About 2 out of 5 times going to task manager and killing the QVP process
    means the file can be deleted. I tried to rename 1 file and exploer had
    a fit for 10 minutes but was able to delete it without rebooting.

    It's gotten worse in the last 2 months and also starting to get shutting
    Windows Explorer to prevent errors DEP protection even when not using
    PC.

    You could try
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals
    have a look at Process Explorer , Processor Monitor you may want to put
    shortcuts to launch these in Startup.

    Autoruns will show you what in the startup and allow you to stop stuff
    running.

    Process Explorer lists file handles of what is open.

    Me
    why?, Jan 10, 2008
  9. iROK

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    oups.com:

    > On Jan 9, 4:42 pm, why?
    > <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:31:47 -0800 (PST), iROK wrote:
    >> >I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy
    >> >the Microsoft Publisher files below get read but not
    >> >copied to the backup (0 File(s) copied).

    <SNIP>

    > \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This
    > Year I'm Gonna Get Organized! training1.pub
    > \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This
    > Year I'm Gonna Get Organized7.pub
    >
    > strange.

    xxcopy (etc.) is great, but you might find it easier in the long
    run to get a backup program which allows you to set up a VERY
    specific backup "template" for lack of better word (as many as
    you want, actually). I suggested this to someone recently in an
    another group who was having a similar problem, he said it never
    occurred to him and that he would try it but of course that was
    the end of it. I just LOVE helping people.

    Most of those backup progs are free, and there are hundreds of
    them.

    --
    Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
    Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)
    thanatoid, Jan 10, 2008
  10. iROK

    Guest

    On Jan 10, 2:35 pm, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > wrote innews:
    > oups.com:
    >
    > > On Jan 9, 4:42 pm, why?
    > > <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > > \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This
    > > Year I'm Gonna Get Organized! training1.pub
    > > \\Amanda\Documents and Settings\Amanda\My Documents\This
    > > Year I'm Gonna Get Organized7.pub

    > > strange.

    > xxcopy (etc.) is great, but you might find it easier in the long
    > run to get a backup program which allows you to set up a VERY
    > specific backup "template" for lack of better word (as many as
    > you want, actually). I suggested this to someone recently in an
    > another group who was having a similar problem, he said it never
    > occurred to him and that he would try it but of course that was
    > the end of it. I just LOVE helping people.
    >
    > Most of those backup progs are free, and there are hundreds of
    > them.
    >
    > --
    > Better a cruel truth than a comfortable delusion.
    >         Edward Abbey (1927 - 1989)

    I actually am coming from the other direction, I actually have tried
    many backup programs and decided to write my own script because most
    of them weren't highly configurable or very reliable.
    , Jan 10, 2008
  11. iROK

    Guest

    On Jan 10, 12:03 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > iROK <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > I don't know why but whenever I run a backup using xcopy the Microsoft
    > > Publisher files below get read but not copied to the backup (0 File(s)
    > > copied).
    > > Some Publisher files in the folder do, so it's nothing in an 'exclude'
    > > file etc.
    > > I looked at the file attributes and none of the files are read-only,
    > > hidden or in use etc.

    > > I have included a log file (incremlog.txt) to show you the output
    > > where it references the offending files.
    > > I have also included the relevant section of the backup .bat file to
    > > show you the switches that are being passed to xcopy.

    > > Any ideas on why just these files are not being copied would be
    > > greatfully appreciated.

    > <snip>
    >
    > Without following *all* the options you have included (that being /z),
    > it looks like it isn't recursing through the directories, only copying
    > one file as opposed to paths. also /s /e is redundant, /e does both. /t
    > along with /e might fix it as well, but *don't* use /t without /e.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

    It's actually copying all the files in the folder 'around' these
    files, and every other file and folder I want it to copy. I think this
    may be caused by corrupt and/or temp files left behind when Publisher
    perhaps crashed sometime.
    , Jan 10, 2008
  12. iROK

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:46:44 -0800, Pennywise wrote:

    > How To Make Fire Balls
    > www.metacafe.com/watch/1029494/how_to_make_fire_balls/

    Looks good for the first few seconds, then the page changes to something
    called 'cleanator.com', runs a 'system scan' (snicker) on my
    'Windows' (snicker) system telling me I have 'bad cookies' and some other
    bollocks designed to scare the bejazus out of less clued-up computer
    users. Then it tells me to download aforesaid 'cleanator' to clean my
    system of these horrible scary things.

    I downloaded it just for the hell of it. I'll open it later to see what's
    inside.
    Aardvark, Jan 11, 2008
  13. iROK

    Guest

    Aardvark <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:46:44 -0800, Pennywise wrote:
    >
    >> How To Make Fire Balls
    >> www.metacafe.com/watch/1029494/how_to_make_fire_balls/

    >Looks good for the first few seconds, then the page changes to something
    >called 'cleanator.com', runs a 'system scan' (snicker) on my
    >'Windows' (snicker) system telling me I have 'bad cookies' and some other
    >bollocks designed to scare the bejazus out of less clued-up computer
    >users. Then it tells me to download aforesaid 'cleanator' to clean my
    >system of these horrible scary things.

    >I downloaded it just for the hell of it. I'll open it later to see what's
    >inside.

    Don't know what to say, it played great for me. But I do run a HOSTS
    file and there are a lot of things I don't see. www.metacafe.com has
    always been a "safe" site.
    --

    http://www.onahorse.com/
    , Jan 11, 2008
  14. iROK

    thanatoid Guest

    wrote in
    oups.com:

    <SNIP>

    > I actually am coming from the other direction, I actually
    > have tried many backup programs and decided to write my own
    > script because most of them weren't highly configurable or
    > very reliable.

    I dig. Here's another suggestion. And this applies to a lot of
    stuff ever since burners and media became dirt cheap.

    Just burn the whole directory (-ies) to a 35 cent CD-R every
    once in a while (or do increments if you're into multi-sessions)
    and be done with it. /Might/ be simpler, I don't know.

    thanatoid, Jan 11, 2008
  15. iROK

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > On Jan 10, 12:03 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> iROK <> wrote

    >> Without following *all* the options you have included (that being
    >> /z), it looks like it isn't recursing through the directories, only
    >> copying one file as opposed to paths. also /s /e is redundant, /e
    >> does both. /t along with /e might fix it as well, but *don't* use /t
    >> without /e.

    > It's actually copying all the files in the folder 'around' these
    > files, and every other file and folder I want it to copy. I think this
    > may be caused by corrupt and/or temp files left behind when Publisher
    > perhaps crashed sometime.

    perhaps run scandisk/autofix just before the backup. Won't get you the
    corrupted files back, but will backup files that aren't zero length.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jan 11, 2008
  16. <> wrote in message

    > I actually am coming from the other direction, I actually have tried
    > many backup programs and decided to write my own script because most
    > of them weren't highly configurable or very reliable.

    Well it's a much better idea to script with robocopy, as I mentioned. It
    completely replaces xcopy, and is better than xxcopy.

    I don't think much of MS Publisher either, unless you are just making office
    flyers and posters.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jan 11, 2008
  17. iROK

    thanatoid Guest

    "Synapse Syndrome" <>
    wrote in news::

    > I don't think much of MS Publisher either, unless you are
    > just making office flyers and posters.

    Whoever said that must be in my KF since I can not see any
    replies mentioning it, but MS Publisher is a program for total
    morons. It does not deserve the term "DTP".

    thanatoid, Jan 11, 2008
  18. iROK

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 11 Jan 2008 21:59:33 GMT, thanatoid <>
    wrote:

    >Whoever said that must be in my KF since I can not see any
    >replies mentioning it,

    <> wrote in message

    Ahh yes, the joy of not seeing GG posts.
    Evan Platt, Jan 11, 2008
  19. "thanatoid" <> wrote in message
    > "Synapse Syndrome" <>
    > wrote in news::
    >
    >> I don't think much of MS Publisher either, unless you are
    >> just making office flyers and posters.

    > Whoever said that must be in my KF since I can not see any
    > replies mentioning it, but MS Publisher is a program for total
    > morons. It does not deserve the term "DTP".

    The whole thread is about copying Publisher files, I thought. Publisher is
    actually pretty good for amateur use, as it is pretty easy to use if you
    know Word; and who doesn't? It's no way as bad as FrontPage was for web
    design.

    ss.
    Synapse Syndrome, Jan 11, 2008
  20. iROK

    Guest

    On Jan 11, 3:13 am, wrote:
    >  Aardvark <> wrote:
    > >On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 09:46:44 -0800, Pennywise wrote:

    > >> How To Make Fire Balls
    > >>www.metacafe.com/watch/1029494/how_to_make_fire_balls/

    > >Looks good for the first few seconds, then the page changes to something
    > >called 'cleanator.com', runs a 'system scan' (snicker) on my
    > >'Windows' (snicker) system telling me I have 'bad cookies' and some other
    > >bollocks designed to scare the bejazus out of less clued-up computer
    > >users. Then it tells me to download aforesaid 'cleanator' to clean my
    > >system of these horrible scary things.
    > >I downloaded it just for the hell of it. I'll open it later to see what's
    > >inside.

    > Don't know what to say, it played great for me. But I do run a HOSTS
    > file and there are a lot of things I don't see.www.metacafe.comhas
    > always been a "safe" site.
    > --
    >
    > http://www.onahorse.com/

    I went to www.metacafe.com today, & on trying to leave the site got a
    popup suggesting I install Cleanator. I hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and
    terminated IE, then ran multiple scans. The site may always have been
    "safe" but as of today it looks like it isn't.
    , Jan 16, 2008