Help with wireless routers...recomendations ?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by paradise, Aug 30, 2005.

  1. paradise

    paradise Guest

    I dont know much about wireless routers.

    I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.

    My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    another computer in the house.

    My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    in line of sight approx 800 m away.

    Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.

    I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/

    Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated

    NZed

    paradise, Aug 30, 2005

  2. paradise

    shannon Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:

    > I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >
    > I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >
    > My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    > another computer in the house.
    >
    > My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    > in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
    >
    > I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    > http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >
    > Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >
    > NZed

    Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    Firmware available from
    http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    shannon, Aug 30, 2005

  3. paradise

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >
    >> I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >>
    >> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >>
    >> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    >> another computer in the house.
    >>
    >> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    >> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
    >>
    >> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    >> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >>
    >> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >>
    >> NZed

    >Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    >ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    >Firmware available from
    >http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    >Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    What Lunix Beta crap, you are Joking...

    XP, Aug 30, 2005
  4. paradise

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >
    >> I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >>
    >> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >>
    >> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    >> another computer in the house.
    >>
    >> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    >> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
    >>
    >> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    >> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >>
    >> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >>
    >> NZed

    >Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    >ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    >Firmware available from
    >http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    >Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    And Supports the C.G.A.

    Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

    XP, Aug 30, 2005
  5. paradise

    Dave Taylor Guest

    XP <> wrote in

    > What Lunix Beta crap, you are Joking...

    Suggest something then.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Aug 30, 2005
  6. paradise

    Rex Havoc Guest

    "XP" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 21:22:53 +1200, shannon <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >>
    >>> I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >>>
    >>> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >>>
    >>> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    >>> another computer in the house.
    >>>
    >>> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop
    >>> which is
    >>> in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to
    >>> use.
    >>>
    >>> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    >>> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    >>> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >>>
    >>> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >>>
    >>> NZed

    >>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    >>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    >>Firmware available from
    >>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    >>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    > And Supports the C.G.A.
    >
    > Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

    XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

    Rex Havoc, Aug 30, 2005
  7. paradise

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Rex Havoc" <> wrote in message
    > "XP" <> wrote in message

    > >>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    > >>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    > >>Firmware available from
    > >>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    > >>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    > > And Supports the C.G.A.
    > >
    > > Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

    > XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

    Simple "XP" is a failure and has no supporters

    Craig Sutton, Aug 30, 2005
  8. paradise

    SteveM Guest

    shannon <> wrote in news:43142556$:

    > On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, paradise wrote:
    >
    >> I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >>
    >> I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >>
    >> My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    >> another computer in the house.
    >>
    >> My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop
    >> which is in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >>
    >> Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products
    >> to use.
    >>
    >> I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    >> http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    >> http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >>
    >> Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >>
    >> NZed

    > Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    > ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    > Firmware available from
    > http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    > Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    Agree, but for the 800m link you will need two of them and also suitable
    antennas. Try the forums @ www.nzwireless.org for more info.

    Steve

    SteveM, Aug 30, 2005
  9. paradise

    XPD Guest

    "Rex Havoc" <> wrote in message

    >> And Supports the C.G.A.
    >>
    >> Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

    > XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

    XP hears one little negative thing about ANY store and they get put on his
    shitelist...... in other words hes a prize pillock.

    BTW XP, who u voting for this year ? :p

    XPD, Aug 30, 2005
  10. paradise

    XP Guest

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 22:58:07 +1200, "Rex Havoc" <> wrote:

    >"XP" <> wrote in message

    >>>Linksys wrt54g with ewrt firmware
    >>>ascent.co.nz has the router ~$166
    >>>Firmware available from
    >>>http://www.portless.net/menu/ewrt/
    >>>Allows control over the power and the two antenna feeds

    >> And Supports the C.G.A.
    >>
    >> Yes deal with a firm that gives far better failure support.

    >XP, would you care to explain what you mean by this?

    Go on the Web sites and read..

    XP, Aug 31, 2005
  11. paradise wrote:
    > I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >
    > I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >
    > My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    > another computer in the house.
    >
    > My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    > in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.
    >
    > I usually use www.pp.co.nz for my computer gear.
    > http://www.pp.co.nz/ProductsF.php?pp_id=NW00085
    > http://www.dlink.co.nz/products/routers/di624/
    >
    > Suggestions or further sources of information appreciated
    >
    > NZed

    I have 5 wrt54g's and have had no ongoing problems with them. I've have
    much more success with them than DLink products.
    The standard firmware that comes in the wrt is pathetic, DD-WRT is my
    firmware of choice. I have heard that under heavy load from multiple
    clients they tend to run out of CPU grunt, though for you I don't think
    that will be a issue.
    The longest link I currently have is 1.5km LOS.
    With the high cost of microwave capable cable I elected to use WRT's on
    roof at both ends. An antenna with of gain >12-15db should be ample for
    your purpose.

    As for that linux beta crap I'd rather have that and have some chance of
    having it fixed promptly by a developer you can talk to directly than
    big companies (like Dlink) that don't give a shit about customer problems.

    MaximumDamage, Aug 31, 2005
  12. paradise

    Rex Havoc Guest

    > Go on the Web sites and read..

    What websites?..

    Rex Havoc, Aug 31, 2005
  13. paradise wrote:
    > I dont know much about wireless routers.
    >
    > I have a pc which is conected to the cable modem.
    >
    > My goal is to set up a wireless router so to connect to my laptop and
    > another computer in the house.
    >
    > My long term goal is to use a dish or antena to connect to our shop which is
    > in line of sight approx 800 m away.
    >
    > Has anyone had any experience in this and recomendation for products to use.

    We are using a couple of wrt54g routers over four km,
    suggest using sveasoft firmware(google) unless you
    are handy with Linux.
    Borg wireless has antenna adaptors to go from rp-tnc
    to N connector.the shop is here http://shop.borg.co.nz/
    Over 800 metres,a couple of rootena should work well.
    If you have a laptop,or desktop with a wireless PCI
    card,load netstumbler,and do a site survey before
    buying a lot of gear.
    Line of sight means just that,no trees etc.
    Keep the power level down,I would not go above 84mw.
    without adding a cooling fan.

    grumpyoldhori, Aug 31, 2005
  14. On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 12:13:03 +1200, Rex Havoc wrote:

    >> Go on the Web sites and read..

    > What websites?..

    on the intraweb . It is so obvious ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Aug 31, 2005
  15. On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:52:54 +1200, "paradise" <nzed> wrote:

    >I dont know much about wireless routers.

    Whats Dave planning now?
    Wireless hair extensions?

    John in Surrey, Aug 31, 2005