    have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it help
    if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of it
    obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.
    =?Utf-8?B?U21lZGxleQ==?=, Dec 17, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U21lZGxleQ==?=

    Malke Guest

    Smedley wrote:

    > My computer won't connect to our home wireless network. It identifies
    > the network and tries to connect and then says that it can't, or that
    > the server
    > is denying it access. I dont know how our network is set up but we
    > don't
    > have a server, just a router, please help with this problem. Would it
    > help if I assinged the Ip addresses to my computer manually instead of
    > it
    > obtaining it automaticly? Thank you.

    You apparently have an encryption key set on the router. You need to
    enter this key into the computer's wireless network settings. You can
    see the key by using the router's configuration tool, accessed through
    your browser.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers
    Malke, Dec 17, 2004

  3. Sorry, could not post a new thread, and so am piggy backing with a similar
    problem. I am travelling a lot and my wireless card was connecting
    automatically and fine to any network in range in all the hotels and coffee
    shops I was going to. Now all of a sudden it says: "no wireless networks were
    found in range. Make sure the wireless switch on your computer is on." I try
    to refresh the network list and get the same thing even when I know I'm in
    range of a network. I do not know how to switch my wireless switch on, I have
    a dell inspiron 8600 running Windows XP, and I don't know how I could have
    switched it off. Someone checked my settings and said that it all looked okay
    to them. Can anyone give me any advice?

    =?Utf-8?B?cmF2ZW53aW5ncw==?=, Dec 17, 2004
  4. =?Utf-8?B?U21lZGxleQ==?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    Wireless Client (like a Laptop with Wireless Card) and the Wireless source
    (like an Access Point, or a Cable/DSL Router) have to be set in a similar
    way in order to connect.

    To enjoy free public Wireless networks you can use a second setting that
    allows the Wireless to automatically connect to any Free available Network.
    When tying public Wireless your millage might vary since there might not be
    a free open Wireless Network available.

    Windows XP can be natively configured to two different setting, if you need
    more than two there are third party applications that might help.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Dec 18, 2004

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=, Dec 18, 2004
  6. Smedley.

    I had the same problem and resolved it by calling the Link Sys Tech line.

    They had me connect the lap top to the router by ca ble then they walked me
    through the set up page at 192.168.1.1 made sure everything was OK there then
    had me log on to the web page and logged on to their automatic set up site
    and the web page did the whole thing from there.

    They also made sure my drivers were up to date, which they were not since
    upgrading to XP, and now they link works like a charm

    Geoff

    =?Utf-8?B?R2VvZmYgQmFycmV0dA==?=, Dec 18, 2004