Help with WINNT.exe

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by SomeGuy, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy Guest

    I used the following command from a:\ (also contained the unattended.txt
    file) after booting a PC from a win98 bootdisc

    d:\i386\winnt /u:unattend.txt /s:d\i386 /t:c:\temp

    That started the setup process ok, verified files and copied files to
    hard drive with the screen showing "Please wait while setup copies files
    to your harddisk". The files transfered being displayed on the grey bar
    at the bottom of the screen stopped showing file names "verify or
    copying" after about 1 min. At this stage it looks like the system has
    hung? The harddisk in use indicator light is lit but the HD isn't making
    noise like it did at the begining of the copy setup file process? I've
    checked and the drive is formated with FAT32 so thats not the problem.
    The answer file is setup for fully automated so I didn't expect any
    screen prompts or ur user intervention. Is this whats ment to happen?
    Without hearing the HD wizzing about doing it's stuff I find that hard
    to believe. I'm leaving it for 30mins to see if it moves on from there
    but i wont hold my breath. Any idea's what's going on?????

    P.S i'm not looking for an alternative install method. I'm trying to
    learn how to use winnt and winnt32 correctly.

    SomeGuy, Nov 14, 2004

  2. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I used the following command from a:\ (also contained the unattended.txt
    > file) after booting a PC from a win98 bootdisc
    >
    > d:\i386\winnt /u:unattend.txt /s:d\i386 /t:c:\temp
    >

    > That started the setup process ok, verified files and copied files to
    > hard drive with the screen showing "Please wait while setup copies files
    > to your harddisk". The files transfered being displayed on the grey bar
    > at the bottom of the screen stopped showing file names "verify or
    > copying" after about 1 min. At this stage it looks like the system has
    > hung? The harddisk in use indicator light is lit but the HD isn't making
    > noise like it did at the begining of the copy setup file process? I've
    > checked and the drive is formated with FAT32 so thats not the problem.
    > The answer file is setup for fully automated so I didn't expect any
    > screen prompts or ur user intervention. Is this whats ment to happen?
    > Without hearing the HD wizzing about doing it's stuff I find that hard
    > to believe. I'm leaving it for 30mins to see if it moves on from there
    > but i wont hold my breath. Any idea's what's going on?????
    >
    > P.S i'm not looking for an alternative install method. I'm trying to
    > learn how to use winnt and winnt32 correctly.

    Never mind. Worked out that it was because smartdrv.exe wasn't loaded.
    Don't recall anything in the MS study guides saying it was required for
    running WINNT.exe though. (Thanks MS press)

    SomeGuy, Nov 14, 2004

  3. SomeGuy

    Dragon Guest

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...0/server/reskit/en-us/prork/prbb_iwp_qurl.asp