Help with Win98 and WinME password logon

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jeff Wisnia, Apr 21, 2005.

  1. Jeff Wisnia

    Jeff Wisnia Guest

    To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    patient's medical information.

    I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    WinME machines doesn't seem to work.

    After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    password protection is that?

    I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the "Windows
    Password", but that still didn't help.

    Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.

    Thanks guys,

    --
    Jeffry Wisnia

    (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

    schools"

    Jeff Wisnia, Apr 21, 2005

  2. Jeff Wisnia

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:36:12 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
    <> wrote:

    |>After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    |>be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    |>password protection is that?

    |>Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    |>make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.

    That is the way it should work :) Win98 will also let you delete the
    ..PWL file (the password file) - it has no real built in security.

    Your better off putting a password in the bios that is needed just to
    boot.

    Google for a third party security program

    --
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600

    , Apr 21, 2005

  3. Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    > people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    > patient's medical information.
    >
    > I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    > password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    > WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    > be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    > password protection is that?
    >
    > I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the "Windows
    > Password", but that still didn't help.
    >
    > Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    > make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.

    Among the many options, upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP. Windows 9x or ME
    were never designed to be secure OS's. Even a stupid wannabee hacker can
    get past Windows 9x logins.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Jeff Wisnia

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Jeff Wisnia took 28 lines to utter:

    >To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    >people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    >patient's medical information.
    >
    >I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    >password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    >WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    >
    >After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    >be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    >password protection is that?

    It is no protection, and never has been. Windows 9x/ME password
    logon is a joke.

    >I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the "Windows
    >Password", but that still didn't help.
    >
    >Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    >make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    >
    >Thanks guys,

    If you want security, you will have to upgrade to Windows XP.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 21, 2005
  5. wrote:
    <snip>
    > Your better off putting a password in the bios that is needed just to
    > boot.

    Yes, that adds another 3 minutes to bypass.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Jeff Wisnia

    FML Guest

    Jeff Wisnia spewed forth...

    > To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    > people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    > patient's medical information.
    >
    > I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    > password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    > WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    >
    > After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it
    > can be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What
    > kind of password protection is that?
    >
    > I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the
    > "Windows Password", but that still didn't help.
    >
    > Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    > make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    >
    > Thanks guys,

    Windows 98 and Me are so inherently insecure that they cannot comply
    with HIPAA Security Rule requirements. These machines will need to be
    disconnected from your network to comply with the HIPAA Security Rule
    that becomes effective April 21, 2005. That's tomorrow!

    FML, Apr 21, 2005
  7. Jeff Wisnia

    Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:32:06 -0400, R?g?r <> wrote:

    |> wrote:
    |><snip>
    |>> Your better off putting a password in the bios that is needed just to
    |>> boot.
    |>
    |>Yes, that adds another 3 minutes to bypass.

    Key phrase here is "Your better off". I'm sure HIPPA requirements
    would require each person who has access to the computer to have a
    unique password.

    --
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/space/mg18524911.600

    , Apr 21, 2005
  8. Jeff Wisnia

    VerDeGris Guest

    In article <>, Jeff Wisnia says...

    >To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    >people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    >patient's medical information.
    >
    >I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    >password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    >WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    >
    >After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    >be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    >password protection is that?
    >
    >I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the "Windows
    >Password", but that still didn't help.
    >
    >Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    >make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    >
    >Thanks guys,

    many BIOS have the possibility of a power-on password protection but I don't
    feel this is adequate security

    what happens if a PC is removed from your site ?? - the hard drive can be
    transferred to a different machine and all data on it is then accessible at
    leisure

    what is required here is a database with user login protection and ideally some
    kind of encryption - preferably on a network server with seperate network logins
    for individual workstations (these are the PCs on the desktops)

    Windows NT/2000/XP all offer this facility for networking - it will depend on
    the database software you are using as to which will be most suitable -

    but the real bottom line here contains two hard truths --

    1 - you are going to have to budget for a fairly large spending

    2 - no security system is 100% safe

    worse case scenario will be replacing ALL your IT equipment + setting up a new
    database and transferring all records - just like when you went from
    hand-written to IT

    VerDeGris, Apr 21, 2005
  9. Jeff Wisnia

    Guest

    "VerDeGris" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Jeff Wisnia says...
    > >

    > >To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    > >people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    > >patient's medical information.
    > >
    > >I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    > >password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98 and
    > >WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    > >
    > >After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it can
    > >be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What kind of
    > >password protection is that?
    > >
    > >I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the "Windows
    > >Password", but that still didn't help.
    > >
    > >Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    > >make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    > >
    > >Thanks guys,

    > many BIOS have the possibility of a power-on password protection but I

    don't
    > feel this is adequate security

    yes but they are on about logging in to windows not the bios..unless you are
    on about the harddrive bios...
    win 98/98se/me all had a fault with loging in by clicking the cancil button
    to bypass the password to login.
    bill gates always says ,,,it dont have to do it ,,,it just has to sound or
    look good to sell....

    there are password programes out there that will make sure that no one can
    log into your hard drive without a password,, but they can be more problems
    in time than they are worth especialy when you need to reinstall or format
    the drive at any time..
    but if you need the extra security i would recommend upgradeing to win2000
    it is the same to use as winme and will run the same programs..

    , Apr 21, 2005
  10. Jeff Wisnia

    Keme Guest

    Jeff Wisnia wrote:

    > To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against unauthorized
    > people powering up any of our office computers and gaining access to
    > patient's medical information.

    [...]
    > Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take to
    > make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    >
    > Thanks guys,

    You've already found that the Win98/-ME password does not protect the
    hard disk contents from snoping. That login does two things: The
    username is used to select an individual user profile, and the password
    provides reasonable protection for _your other passwords_ by encrypting
    your password list (<username>.pwl file).

    What you should have is a file server (dedicated server or workstation
    computer) where your sensitive data is kept. That server should provide
    for secure access control (like WinNT or later, most unix varieties, and
    Novell NetWare do).

    On your workstations you need a network client, which is used to
    establish secure connections to the server.

    Your server needs to be in a secure location, and have some sort of
    backup for your data files. Always keep one complete backup generation
    in a separate, secure location, to ensure your records can be restored
    after major damage (fire, water leaks).

    If you don't go all the way, Windows NT, -2000 or -XP will provide some
    security against unauthorized access if you use NTFS filesystem on the
    partitions containing your data. They do not, however, prevent anyone
    from stealing the computer. That's why I recommend a networked approach,
    where the physical data are not on the workstation.

    Keme, Apr 21, 2005
  11. Jeff Wisnia

    Duane Arnold Guest

    am,
    wrote in message
    MK9e.181$:
    > "VerDeGris" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>, Jeff Wisnia
    >> says...
    >>>

    >>> To satisfy HIPPA requirements we need to protect against
    >>> unauthorized people powering up any of our office computers and
    >>> gaining access to patient's medical information.
    >>>
    >>> I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why the powerup logon
    >>> password protection I thought I'd activated on our office's Win98
    >>> and WinME machines doesn't seem to work.
    >>>
    >>> After powerup a user name and password entry block shows up, but it
    >>> can be bypassed simply by clicking the "cancel" button on it. What
    >>> kind of password protection is that?
    >>>
    >>> I've gone to Control Panel's "Passwords" section and reset the
    >>> "Windows Password", but that still didn't help.
    >>>
    >>> Could someone please walk me through whatever steps I need to take
    >>> to make the Windows Password work like It seems it should work.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks guys,

    >> many BIOS have the possibility of a power-on password protection but
    >> I don't feel this is adequate security
    >>

    > yes but they are on about logging in to windows not the bios..unless
    > you are on about the harddrive bios...

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    > if you need the extra security i would recommend upgradeing to
    > win2000 it is the same to use as winme

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! You fucking JANATARD.

    Duane Arnold, Apr 28, 2006