    now i feel like a total retard

    please help me? anyone? i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

    eric

    Cartman, Eric, Jun 12, 2004

  2. Cartman, Eric

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in message
    news:40ca3c8f$...
    > I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up

    > I am missing a file named ...system32\ntoskrnl.exe ... and when I boot I

    get
    > a message to reinstall the file.
    >

    > So being the stoner that I am, I reinstalled XP and somehow I now have

    three
    > versions of XP on this machine one on the main drive and a few on the
    > partition? is this possible? I think I have 40g of hard drive space in
    > total
    >
    > When I boot up now I have to choose from THREE versions of Win XP
    >
    > My problem isnt solved and now i am getting low disk space errors
    >

    > So my question is how do I fix this? I am usually OK with computers but
    > now i feel like a total retard
    >
    > please help me? anyone? i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

    You may just have the boot.ini file that's in the root directory of <c> with
    three entries in the file. The boot.ini files is a hidden and protected
    system file you'll need to unhide and unprotect. You can then use Notepad
    and edit the file and delete the two entries you don't want. You should copy
    the boot.ini file first and save it just in case.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 12, 2004

  3. Cartman, Eric

    Rob K Guest

    Cartman, Eric wrote :
    <snipped>
    > I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally screwed up ...
    >
    > i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

    Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're looking
    for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the ntoskernel
    issue.

    You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
    copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
    In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
    but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
    better than things were before.

    Just my two cents :)

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jun 12, 2004
  4. So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two .ini
    files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.

    No comprendo.

    Cartman, Eric, Jun 12, 2004
  5. Cartman, Eric

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    >> Cartman, Eric wrote :
    >> <snipped>
    >>> I was messing around with my "registry cleaner" and I totally
    >>> screwed up ...
    >>>
    >>> i just want it to be like it was before <sob>

    >> Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're
    >> looking for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the
    >> ntoskernel issue.
    >>
    >> You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
    >> copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
    >> In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
    >> but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
    >> better than things were before.
    >>
    >> Just my two cents :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    <<top posting fixed>>

    > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
    > .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
    >
    > No comprendo.

    Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back, right? The
    boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It merely
    tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to be
    sure.)

    Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same order
    the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please post below
    it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply above it). It
    keeps things much easier to follow if everything is going the same
    direction.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  6. Cartman, Eric

    Rob K Guest

    Cartman, Eric wrote :
    > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two .ini
    > files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
    >
    > No comprendo.

    <snip>

    Erm ... you've got just one boot.ini file.
    ( http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q289022 )

    You said you have three versions of XP (= two re-installations) -
    usually, one Operating System is enough ;)

    Formatting and reinstalling, thus getting rid of the problem is one
    option. Do it properly and you'll end up with a freshly formatted HD, a
    newly installed OS, all the latest drivers etc etc.

    The second option is tinkering with boot.ini - leaving you with
    unnecessary extra copies of Win XP taking up space; one reason for "low
    disk space" maybe ?

    The third option is getting rid of the two unwanted XP 'copies' AND
    modifying boot.ini AND reinstalling the missing file properly.
    In which case, even more problems may arise.

    Up to you to decide.

    HTH

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Jun 12, 2004
  7. "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > > "Rob K" <> wrote in message
    > >> Cartman, Eric wrote :
    > >> <snipped>

    > >> Tinkering with boot.ini may very well be the workaround you're
    > >> looking for. And there are probably other ways to deal with just the
    > >> ntoskernel issue.
    > >>
    > >> You mentioned "low disk space". Have you considered creating a backup
    > >> copy of all the files you really want to keep, format & reinstall ?
    > >> In other words: a thorough spring cleaning ? Yes, it's a lot of work
    > >> but you'll end up with a 'lean and mean' machine, probably just a bit
    > >> better than things were before.
    > >>
    > >> Just my two cents :)
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> My E-mail address in ROT-13:
    > >>

    > <<top posting fixed>>
    >
    > > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
    > > .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
    > >
    > > No comprendo.

    > Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back, right?

    The
    > boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

    merely
    > tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to be
    > sure.)
    >
    > Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same order
    > the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please post below
    > it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply above it). It
    > keeps things much easier to follow if everything is going the same
    > direction.
    >
    > --
    > Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.

    So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it using
    notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.

    this is what it says:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    Rob K mentioned reformatting my HD and having a fresh start -- that is what
    I wanted to do but i ended up here.

    Through reformatting the HD using my Gateway OS disks, I tried to install
    over an existing copy and i was asked for my administrator password. I have
    no idea what that is.

    I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF ... well maybe I'll just have another beer instead
    :)

    Cartman, Eric, Jun 12, 2004
  8. Cartman, Eric

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Cartman, Eric wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Rob K" <> wrote in message

    >> <<top posting fixed>>
    >>
    >>> So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other two
    >>> .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
    >>>
    >>> No comprendo.

    >> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
    >> right? The boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your
    >> missing file. It merely tells the system what boot options you have.
    >> (Search for the file to be sure.)
    >>
    >> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
    >> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom,
    >> please post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post
    >> your reply above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if
    >> everything is going the same direction.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    >>

    > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
    >
    > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
    > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
    >
    > this is what it says:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect
    >
    > Rob K mentioned reformatting my HD and having a fresh start -- that
    > is what I wanted to do but i ended up here.
    >
    > Through reformatting the HD using my Gateway OS disks, I tried to
    > install over an existing copy and i was asked for my administrator
    > password. I have no idea what that is.
    >
    > I AM GOING TO KILL MYSELF ... well maybe I'll just have another beer
    > instead :)

    Not too many of those...you can *really* muck up your computer <g>

    A lot of times the OEM setup discs can do strange things if you get in a
    hurry. Are you serious about reformatting again? No data to save? It would
    really be a chore for me to do that...I'd rather fix a problem than start
    over.

    --
    Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain

    Toolman Tim, Jun 12, 2004
  9. Cartman, Eric

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Rob K" <> wrote in message

    >> <<top posting fixed>>
    >>
    >> > So what becomes of that ntoskernel issue? If I delete the other
    >> > two .ini files, I'll be back to square one. Missing a file.
    >> >
    >> > No comprendo.

    >> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
    >> right?

    > The
    >> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

    > merely
    >> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to
    >> be sure.)
    >>
    >> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
    >> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please
    >> post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply
    >> above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if everything is
    >> going the same direction.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    >>

    > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
    >
    > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
    > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
    >
    > this is what it says:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=30
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect

    The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show as
    before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
    selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If you
    did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to the same
    location.

    Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
    partition.

    If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be one
    of the entries.

    You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?

    If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out asking
    to make a selection.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jun 12, 2004
  10. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > >> <<top posting fixed>>

    > >> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
    > >> right?

    > > The
    > >> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

    > > merely
    > >> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to
    > >> be sure.)
    > >>
    > >> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
    > >> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please
    > >> post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply
    > >> above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if everything is
    > >> going the same direction.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    > >>

    > > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
    > >
    > > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
    > > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
    > >
    > > this is what it says:
    > >
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=30
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > > Edition" /fastdetect
    > >

    > The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show as
    > before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
    > selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If you
    > did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to the same
    > location.
    >
    > Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
    > partition.
    >
    > If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be one
    > of the entries.
    >
    > You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?
    >
    > If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out asking
    > to make a selection.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Duane:

    thanks for your help. I understand that I need to "get rid of the second
    entry" but I am wondering if you could tell me how.

    Specifically, could you tell me exactly how to do this? Right now, I am
    typing on the very machine that I am having problems with. THIS version of
    XP runs properly but I am getting "low disk space" errors.

    I want to edit my boot file to remove the other boot options besides this
    one. I can search for a file called "boot.ini" and I can open it using
    notepad but I need to see exactly what it needs to read. If you could.

    Another thing : my friends were amazed last night when I was able to get
    valuable information from this group. You guys are the best!!

    thanks in advance and I apologize for my computer-illiteracy.

    Cartman, Eric, Jun 12, 2004
  11. "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in
    >

    > > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > >> <<top posting fixed>>

    > >> Eric, if you reinstalled XP, as you said, then the file is back,
    > >> right?

    > > The
    > >> boot.ini file has nothing whatsoever to do with your missing file. It

    > > merely
    > >> tells the system what boot options you have. (Search for the file to
    > >> be sure.)
    > >>
    > >> Also, would it be possible for you to post your replies in the same
    > >> order the thread is running? If the replies are at the bottom, please
    > >> post below it. (If the replies are at the top, please post your reply
    > >> above it). It keeps things much easier to follow if everything is
    > >> going the same direction.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most. ~M. Twain
    > >>

    > > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
    > >
    > > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
    > > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
    > >
    > > this is what it says:
    > >
    > > [boot loader]
    > > timeout=30
    > > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > > [operating systems]
    > > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > > Edition" /fastdetect
    > >

    > The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show as
    > before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
    > selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If you
    > did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to the same
    > location.
    >
    > Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
    > partition.
    >
    > If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be one
    > of the entries.
    >
    > You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?
    >
    > If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out asking
    > to make a selection.
    >
    > Duane :)

    btw, my boot.ini file now looks like this:

    [boot loader]
    timeout=40
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition" /fastdetect

    Thanks all

    Cartman, Eric, Jun 12, 2004
  12. Cartman, Eric

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >> "Cartman, Eric" <> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in
    >> > message news:...

    >> > The
    >> > merely

    >> > You're absolutely right, if I reinstalled XP the file is there.
    >> >
    >> > So I searched for the boot.ini file and one came up. I opened it
    >> > using notepad but I have no idea how to edit it.
    >> >
    >> > this is what it says:
    >> >
    >> > [boot loader]
    >> > timeout=30
    >> > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    >> > [operating systems]
    >> > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP
    >> > Home Edition" /fastdetect
    >> >

    >> The second entry is the second install. The first one will not show
    >> as before when you booted the machine and XP didn't stop to ask for a
    >> selection. And they both look to be pointing to the same location. If
    >> you did another install, then a third one would be there pointing to
    >> the same location.
    >>
    >> Obviously, you cannot install and have two different O/S in the same
    >> partition.
    >>
    >> If another O/S was in a second partition, then partition(2) would be
    >> one of the entries.
    >>
    >> You sure you installed the XP O/S in two different partitions?
    >>
    >> If not, then get rid of the second entry and XP will boot with out
    >> asking to make a selection.
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > btw, my boot.ini file now looks like this:
    >
    > [boot loader]
    > timeout=40
    > default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect

    > Thanks all

    If XP has been installed in the same partition on the <C>, then there
    cannot not be two C:\windows. If you didn't tell the XP install to Format
    the HD, all the install did was install XP to C:\Windows again. However,
    during the install process, it detected the boot.ini file and made
    another entry in the boot.ini.

    All NT based O/S such a Win NT 4.0, Win 2K, and Win XP allow for more
    than one O/S to be on the machine. Partition 1 XP O/S on the C:,
    Partition 2 Windows ME on D:. Parttition 3 could have Win 2K.

    I suspect that you only have one C: with the XP O/S, maybe. You can
    certainly check for more than 1 WINDOWS directory on the HD.

    If you delete the lines below, you'll be fine. But you should backup the
    boot.ini.

    > [operating systems]
    > multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows XP Home
    > Edition" /fastdetect

    You can make a file called Test.txt and save it to c:\Windows.

    You can remove the above lines and boot, which is using the initial file
    before you did anything with installing. XP should boot directly to the
    Logon screen.

    Then you can swap boot.ini files using the boot.ini with the above lines
    and select from the boot menu.

    If Test.txt is there both times, then you'll know - Right?

    You should *harden* the XP O/S from attack, if you have not done so.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

    You may also want to read a little bit in the Windows XP Professional
    Resource Kit Book ISBN 0-7356-1974-3 which can be applied to XP Home as
    well. It may even be at the library.

    Knowledge is the *key*.

    HTH

    Duane :)