Help with VPN & Netgear DG834M Routers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Brendan J Cuffe, Aug 22, 2006.

  1. We are a very small business outfit, me a colleague and a secretary and so
    all the IT stuff falls to me. Following my colleague's involvement in an
    traffic accident I am trying to set up VPN between are office and his house.

    The set up is a small network at our office and the same in his home and
    both connect to the internet with Netgear DG834M gateways.

    I have followed instructions downloaded from Netgear's website and have
    successfully set up the Gateway to Gateway VPN tunnel. His home uses the
    Hetgear default address range of 192.168.0.x and I changed the office to use
    the range 192.168.3.x. I have activated the VPN tunnel succesfully and we
    have successfully pinged each other.

    My question is how do we start to use the VPN tunnel so he can actually
    access files on shared drives in the office? The Netgear guide says to go
    to a URL whose IP address or range is covered by the VPN policy. I have
    typed http://192.168.0.2 in Internet Explorer to access his computer but
    nothing happens. DO we need additional software or can we use the network
    connection wizard in windows xp professional. I tried this but it asked for
    usernames and passwords? If I need these how do I set it up?

    Any guidance greatly appreciated.

    Brendan
    Brendan J Cuffe, Aug 22, 2006

  2. Do use VPN you need a VPN End Point (server) on side of the connection.
    I do not think that the DG834M is a VPN End-Point, it probably just pass
    through.
    May be this can Help, http://www.ezlan.net/vpn.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 22, 2006

  3. Thanks for that, now up and up running.

    Brendan

    Brendan J Cuffe, Aug 29, 2006