help with voip implementation

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by ike lozada, Dec 28, 2003.

  1. ike lozada

    ike lozada Guest

    Hi Y'all,

    Dont know if this is the right place to ask this but here goes...

    we have a remote branch office that does not have any connection to
    the PSTN since there are no telephone lines there but they need to be
    able to communicate among themselves, the head office and PSTN. we're
    thinking of implementing voip. here is our first try at a setup

    remote branch Head office
    analog phones -> PBX ->router--->internet <---router<--PBX<--analog
    phones

    ^
    PSTN
    The PBX is needed so that they can users at the remote branch can talk
    to each other, internet is used since that is the only available
    connection

    Basically, the remote branch must be able to talk among themselves,
    talk to the head office, and must be able to dial in to the local PSTN
    avoiding long distance charges. (i.e., remote branch talks to the head
    office as a local number, to the PSTN via the head office connection
    to the PSTN. we're thinking of using ip pbx/phones but we're concerned
    that there might still be a 100m limit of the utp cables, thus users
    from the remote branch might not be able to talk with each other?. any
    suggestions?

    thanks in advance

    ike lozada, Dec 28, 2003

  2. ike lozada

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    ike lozada <> wrote:
    > Basically, the remote branch must be able to talk among themselves,
    > talk to the head office, and must be able to dial in to the local PSTN
    > avoiding long distance charges. (i.e., remote branch talks to the head
    > office as a local number, to the PSTN via the head office connection
    > to the PSTN. we're thinking of using ip pbx/phones but we're concerned
    > that there might still be a 100m limit of the utp cables, thus users
    > from the remote branch might not be able to talk with each other?. any
    > suggestions?

    How large is the facility? Would a couple $25 ethernet switches solve it?

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

    Miguel Cruz, Dec 28, 2003

  3. ike lozada

    FastBusy Guest

    but we're concerned
    > that there might still be a 100m limit of the utp cables, thus users
    > from the remote branch might not be able to talk with each other?. any
    > suggestions?
    >
    > thanks in advance

    The distance limit of utp should not be a factor. More than likely you
    would have all the phones inside the branch connected back to a switch
    or hub and those would be less than 100m apart. From that hub or
    switch you would then probably have fiber, or a t-1 out to your HQ
    office.

    An IP/PBX will do exaclty what you ask, but I would aviod the 3COM NBX
    because you must buy a special liscense to be able to have remote
    phones. Avaya just relased a new small office system the other week.

    FastBusy, Dec 29, 2003
  4. ike lozada

    Dan Guest

    Ike,

    The suggestions so far can be costly, are good.. I have implemented this
    solution for numerous clients using the QTelNet (www.qtelnet.com) gateways
    and phones. They are stand alone, so you don't need an IPPBX nor do you
    need to change anything you have as they work using any networking scenario
    without the need of a static IP as there is a messaging system that keeps
    the dial plan up to date if there are any changes. Also you would only need
    the one PBX in the main office. They could work as virtual extensions off
    of your existing PBX in the main office. You would add an FXO gateway to
    the analog line card that would automatically forward the call to remote
    office. In the remote office you can use regular phones plugged into an FXS
    or use an IP phone.

    Here is a diagram on a smaller scale of what you are looking for :
    http://www.qtelnet.com/products-index9.htm

    Let me know if you have any questions. Email me at dan_c AT yahoo DOT com

    Dan

    Dan, Dec 29, 2003