    I have 4 Vlans. 1 for phones, 1 data, 1 management and 1 wireless
    access.

    , May 18, 2007

  2. Hi,

    If you want to pass VLANs from one switch to another, you have to define
    both ends of the link as trunk. Also you have to have the same VLANs
    configured in both switches. And third - your "second" switch should support
    Cisco IP Phones. What model is your additional switch? If it does not
    support IP Phones and "auxiliary VLAN", you may need to configure port as a
    trunk. And as a "last resort", you may need to configure "some" ports to be
    just a "phone ports" and other ports to be "PC ports" with the only one VLAN
    configured on the port.

    Good luck,

    Mike
    CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, Cisco Voice, MCSE W2K, MCSE+I, Security+, etc.
    CCIE R&S (in progress), CCIE Voice (in progress)
    ------
    PC Headset Adapters for Cisco IP Phones
    www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com
    www.headsetadapter.com

    headsetadapter.com, May 18, 2007

  3. Guest

    I have not purchased a switch as of yet. I am not sure what to buy,
    can you recommend any for what i want to do. At the moment we are
    unable to order anything so whatever i need to order will have to be
    on the lower end of the spectrum. Hence the reason we are not doing
    POE.

    Thanks.

    , May 21, 2007
  4. If you want to get PoE for your phones, then lowest model you can get is
    Catalyst Express CE500-24PS (list price $2795). Catalyst 2960 switches
    support Voice VLAN, however they don't provide PoE, so, you will need to
    power on your phones with either brick, PS or Power PatchPanel. The list
    prices for 2960 are $895-1395 for 8-ports, $1295-3295 for 24 ports, and
    $2495-5995 for 48 ports. Next step will be Layer3 switch (for example,
    Catalyst 3560, ranging from $1395 up to $18990 (no kidding).

    Basically you can find good Cisco partner, and get up to 40% discount off
    the list price. So, it won't be that scary.

    headsetadapter.com, May 21, 2007
  5. Guest

    Is there any that you could recommend that would do this for me.

    Thanks.

    , May 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    Is there any switches that you can recommend that would be under $500.
    24-48 ports would be good. I only need to add 4 phones on at the
    moment and wont be adding anymore than 6 more after that. So the extra
    ports if possible I would like to use for just data.

    Thanks for your help.

    , May 21, 2007

  8. <> wrote in message
    > Is there any switches that you can recommend that would be under $500.
    > 24-48 ports would be good. I only need to add 4 phones on at the
    > moment and wont be adding anymore than 6 more after that. So the extra
    > ports if possible I would like to use for just data.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    For this amount you can find only refurbished Cisco switch without Cisco
    warranty or support. I know some companies sell refurbished and
    reconditioned Cisco switches, and even provide their own support. However in
    most cases you get what you pay for. If you're going to get PC behind Cisco
    IP phone, I wouldn't recommend anything but Cisco, but if you don't mind to
    get IP phones on separate ports, then you may go with any switch which
    supports VLANs and trunking.

    headsetadapter.com, May 21, 2007
  9. Guest

    I have been budgeted $500 to get a switch that I will need to do the
    Job. Otherwise I have to wait until next year. But I have currently 3
    users who dont have phone. I have seen Linksys and Netgear switches in
    that price range but I am unsure what I would need to do the Job. Poe
    is not a big deal.

    , May 21, 2007
  10. Guest

    I do have a Catalyst 2900 XL and 3500 XL switches that are not being
    used. Would they work for me.

    , May 22, 2007