    for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if
    I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
    system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio
    Dan & Cindy, Jan 2, 2004

  2. Dan & Cindy

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Dan & Cindy" <> wrote in
    news:Up6Jb.45430$:

    > Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig
    > hard
    > drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The
    > problem is for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I
    > have 384mb ram, if I add more ram does this change anything. I did
    > change the virtual mem. in system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in
    > Ohio

    I think the rule of thumb is that the Page File size should be 2 times the
    total size of Ram that the machine has. Also the recommended memory to run
    XP is 512mb(s) of Ram. This can be doen easily by going to www.crucial.com.

    And since you say you're a novice, the link will help too. You should
    *harden* the XP O/S to attack.

    http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husdg/windowsxp.php

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Dan & Cindy

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 02 Jan 2004 04:26:28 GMT, "Dan & Cindy" <> wrote:

    > Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
    >drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem is
    >for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if
    >I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
    >system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio

    You have enough ram,
    set the virtual memory back to "let windows handle it" and it will be fine.

    Derek
    derek / nul, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Dan & Cindy

    mark mandel Guest

    "Dan & Cindy" <> wrote in message
    > Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
    > drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem

    is
    > for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram,

    if
    > I add more ram does this change anything. I did change the virtual mem. in
    > system settings from 576 to 1000mb. help in Ohio

    Page file settings are an endless source of debate in Geek circles. Some
    say twice, some say thrice and some say somewhere in between. However, for
    a maximum you'd want double what this minimum setting is.

    Also I get by fine on 256 MB of RAM for Win XP but in the next system I'm
    building I will install 512 just to give myself more elbow room.

    mark mandel, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Dan & Cindy

    Plato Guest

    Dan & Cindy wrote:

    > Iam a novice computer person who needs help. I just had a 100 gig hard
    > drive installed in my computer, I am running windows xp home, The problem is
    > for some reason I dont have enough virtual memory, also I have 384mb ram, if

    First step is for you to NOT MESS with the virtural memory settings as
    you will likely end up with "not enough virtural memory" error
    messages".

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Jan 2, 2004