    this? How do I play? How do I save the files - they wont even copy from the
    CD back to PC.

    These files worked OK on PC before I burned them.

    Jack Slater, Feb 7, 2004

  2. "Jack Slater" <> wrote in message
    news:WycVb.244102$xy6.1291517@attbi_s02...
    > I hope this is the right forum - if not please suggest.
    >
    > I used Nero 5 to burn mpg and avi files to CDRs. Now, when I try to

    access
    > them using Windows Media Player ver. 9, the mpg files run fine, some avi
    > files run fine, but SOME of the avi files try to "connect" and then

    display
    > "error downloading codec" and eventually just play the sound. What caused
    > this? How do I play? How do I save the files - they wont even copy from

    the
    > CD back to PC.
    >
    > These files worked OK on PC before I burned them.

    Have you tried installing divx???
    You can get a program called GSPOT from www.vcdhelp.com in the tools
    section, which will tell you what codec you need to play the avi files.

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 7, 2004

  3. Jack Slater

    Jack Slater Guest

    no nothing about divx - what is it and why do I need it if the files ran ok
    before burning?

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    message news:c03lis$129vs8$-berlin.de...

    Jack Slater, Feb 7, 2004
  4. "Jack Slater" <> wrote in message
    > no nothing about divx - what is it and why do I need it if the files ran

    ok
    > before burning?

    Divx is a type of compression for avi files.
    You need the divx codec which can be downloaded from www.divx.com (I think
    this is the right webby)
    Have you tried copying the files back onto your pc from the cd and then
    playing them????
    What happens then???
    Download Gspot from here http://www.headbands.com/gspot/download.html
    Extract it then run it.
    Use the browse button in gspot and select your file.
    I have made a jpeg of how to do it which u can find here
    http://tinyurl.com/2ocxe

    Let me know how u get on

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 7, 2004
  5. Jack Slater

    Professor Guest

    Some video files might be compressed with codecs that are not handled by
    your player. You might try Quicktime for Windows which will play some files
    that Windows Media Player wont play or you might try updating Windows Media
    player to the latest version.

    Professor, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Jack Slater

    Jack Slater Guest

    After installing dvix I can get the files to play but still can't copy them
    back to HD! Seems real odd. Plus I'm sure they played before I burned them
    and without divx.

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    message news:c03npm$10scrc$-berlin.de...

    Jack Slater, Feb 8, 2004
  7. "Jack Slater" <> wrote in message
    > After installing dvix I can get the files to play but still can't copy

    them
    > back to HD! Seems real odd. Plus I'm sure they played before I burned

    them
    > and without divx.

    So you have got the video working now. Thats a good start.
    What happens when u copy and paste the files from the cd eg error message???
    Are these standard data cds or have you made a special video cd (VCD/SVCD)??

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., Feb 9, 2004
  8. Jack Slater

    Jack Slater Guest

    "Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <> wrote in
    message news:c07plj$142nje$-berlin.de...

    > "Jack Slater" <> wrote in message
    > > After installing dvix I can get the files to play but still can't copy

    > them
    > > back to HD! Seems real odd. Plus I'm sure they played before I burned

    > them
    > > and without divx.

    > So you have got the video working now. Thats a good start.
    > What happens when u copy and paste the files from the cd eg error

    message???
    > Are these standard data cds or have you made a special video cd

    (VCD/SVCD)??

    > Gaz

    seems like they will copy to the ND now too - very odd.

    thanks.

    Jack Slater, Feb 10, 2004