Help with Video to Digital Transfer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jumm, Jul 9, 2003.

  1. Jumm

    Jumm Guest

    I would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to take a video tape of a
    news program
    I have on my vcr and transfer it to a digital file on my computer,
    uploadable and easily playable by a wide range of viewers on a website. I
    have a NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4xAGP
    card, on WinMe, 512 Ram, 20gig HD. Doesn't have to be great quality as I
    don't want
    the viewers to have a long wait for the download. It looks like I'll need
    some sort of cable to connect the vcr to the computer, and some software to
    deal with the video file? Thanks,

    Jim

    --
    In email reply, please remove the "XOXOX." from the address.

    Jumm
    My Fractal Gallery Home Page
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~jumm/index.htm
    ---------------------------
    Jumm, Jul 9, 2003

  2. Jumm

    HamMan Guest

    "Jumm" <> wrote in message
    > I would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to take a video tape of a
    > news program
    > I have on my vcr and transfer it to a digital file on my computer,
    > uploadable and easily playable by a wide range of viewers on a website. I
    > have a NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4xAGP
    > card, on WinMe, 512 Ram, 20gig HD. Doesn't have to be great quality as I
    > don't want
    > the viewers to have a long wait for the download. It looks like I'll need
    > some sort of cable to connect the vcr to the computer, and some software

    > deal with the video file? Thanks,
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > --
    > In email reply, please remove the "XOXOX." from the address.
    >
    > Jumm
    > My Fractal Gallery Home Page
    > http://lightning.prohosting.com/~jumm/index.htm

    > ---------------------------

    Do you have a TV card or another sort of digital capture card?
    If not its kinda crucial that you get one
    HamMan, Jul 9, 2003

  3. Jumm

    Jumm Guest

    --
    Jumm
    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message

    > "Jumm" <> wrote in message
    > > I would greatly appreciate suggestions on how to take a video tape of a
    > > news program
    > > I have on my vcr and transfer it to a digital file on my computer,
    > > uploadable and easily playable by a wide range of viewers on a website.

    > > have a NVIDIA TNT2 M64 4xAGP
    > > card, on WinMe, 512 Ram, 20gig HD. Doesn't have to be great quality as I
    > > don't want
    > > the viewers to have a long wait for the download. It looks like I'll

    need
    > > some sort of cable to connect the vcr to the computer, and some software

    > > deal with the video file? Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jim

    > Because you can do what you want to, understand a few things first.
    > You can not copy a news show, then redistribute it at will.
    > In order to do so, you would need written permission from the owners of

    the
    > film in question.
    > Which is not all that hard to do. Just write them a letter, snail mail
    > preferred, explaining what you want to do, the story you want to show
    > online, and how it's going to be viewed.
    > They could even provide you with a web ready clip of the story.
    >
    > To do it your way, you'd need a video capture card installed on your
    > machine.
    > ATI all in wonder is decent but creates huge files.
    > Using windows movie maker would make the files smaller and streamable.

    Thanks, I'm aware of those copyright concerns, as this is for a non-profit
    org. I don't think getting permission will be
    a problem. I appreciate your other suggestions as to how to deal with this.
    Jim
    Jumm, Jul 10, 2003