    equipment?

    Thanks for any help.

    JM
    JM, Sep 17, 2005

  2. On 17.09.2005 21:30 JM wrote

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm in telecom. A customer of mine just went out of business, and as
    > partial payment to me they gave me a bunch of equipment, including
    > approximately 10 Cisco routers. There is one 2600 series and several 1700
    > series. Their data person has long since been gone from their company, so
    > the routers came with no passwords.
    >
    > What are my options? Will people purchase them used like this?

    yes

    > Can the
    > units be defaulted, for possible re-sale to our customers who need data
    > equipment?

    yes. Go to Cisco wenbsite and search for "password recovery 2600" resp.
    ""password recovery 1700"

    Arnold
    --
    Arnold Nipper, AN45
    Arnold Nipper, Sep 17, 2005

  3. In article <a9_We.11709$>,
    JM <> wrote:
    :I'm in telecom. A customer of mine just went out of business, and as
    :partial payment to me they gave me a bunch of equipment, including
    :approximately 10 Cisco routers. There is one 2600 series and several 1700
    :series. Their data person has long since been gone from their company, so
    :the routers came with no passwords.

    :What are my options? Will people purchase them used like this?

    In practice, Yes.

    : Can the
    :units be defaulted, for possible re-sale to our customers who need data
    :equipment?

    Yes. You can search Cisco's site for keywords such as
    2600 password recovery
    [The procedure is pretty much the same for the 1700.]

    There is an issue to be aware of, and that is the right to use
    IOS (the software) is officially not transferable (except in
    cases having to do with buying or merging the business itself.)
    Officially your customers would have to "relicense" the software.

    There are some complications about whether you yourself (now
    the legitimate owner of the equipment) are allowed to pass
    the copy of IOS on to the eventual purchasers; you aren't really
    allowed to, but if you don't then the purchasers could end up
    having to buy IOS as well as relicensing it, whereas they might
    be able to simply relicense if you do pass on the software.

    I would suggest you communicate with Cisco on the matter. Cisco
    does show -some- flexibility in these situations. It might make
    a difference if you have a piece of paper formally transfering
    ownership of the equipment to you.
    --
    "I will speculate that [...] applications [...] could actually see a
    performance boost for most users by going dual-core [...] because it
    Walter Roberson, Sep 17, 2005