Help with Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 5, 2004.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
    screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
    there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
    computer.
    The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
    to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
    full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
    but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
    blue error screen above.

    In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
    following technical information:

    STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)

    Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
    recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
    installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
    full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.

    Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 5, 2004

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Boomer Guest

    ECLiPSE 2002 <> wrote:

    > When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a
    > blue screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which
    > said that there was a problem with windows and it was shut down
    > to protect the computer.
    > The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work
    > to try to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black
    > screen with a full screen of various statements which meant
    > little or nothing to me- but would not open in windows safe mode
    > and simply returned to the blue error screen above.
    >
    > In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
    > following technical information:
    >
    > STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
    >
    > Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a
    > vendors recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to
    > salvage my installed programs and settings/configurations before
    > resorting to a full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
    >
    > Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Frank

    Did a quick search in the archives at Google Groups:
    http://www.google.com/groups?as_epq=STOP: Ox000000ED&safe=off&ie=
    UTF-8&as_scoring=d&lr=lang_en&num=50&hl=en

    Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G113129B8

    Are those of help?

    Boomer, Jul 5, 2004

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    °Mike° Guest

    <Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

    "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error
    Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to
    Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, in
    <>
    ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jul 5, 2004
  4. ECLiPSE 2002

    Unk Guest

    On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <>
    wrote:

    >When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
    >screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
    >there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
    >computer.
    >The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
    >to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
    >full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
    >but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
    >blue error screen above.
    >
    >In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
    >following technical information:
    >
    >STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
    >
    >Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
    >recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
    >installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
    >full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
    >
    >Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Frank

    "STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart
    Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm

    Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled
    Is Mounted
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    Frank,
    I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
    Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed Windows
    to start correctly just once. On restart, the error returned. However,
    running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows start again but it's time
    consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to complete. I would suggest
    copying your important data to another drive when the opportunity arises.

    Unk, Jul 5, 2004
  5. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks for the responses - I believe that her power shutdown of the PC
    before the Windows shutdown process was complete caused her problem.
    In that case the advice is to access the Recovery Console and follow
    the steps in the Microsoft Knowledge base.

    How does one determine whether my daughter's hard drive contains the
    Recovery Console - she has an EMachine that has an OEM version of Win
    XP home - I rather doubt that the Recovry Console has been installed
    on her PC. But I lack the knowledge to make that determination. Can
    someone help me here?

    Thanks,

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 5, 2004
  6. ECLiPSE 2002

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "ECLiPSE 2002" <> wrote in message
    >| Thanks for the responses - I believe that her power shutdown of the
    >| PC before the Windows shutdown process was complete caused her
    >| problem. In that case the advice is to access the Recovery Console
    >| and follow the steps in the Microsoft Knowledge base.
    >|
    >| How does one determine whether my daughter's hard drive contains the
    >| Recovery Console - she has an EMachine that has an OEM version of Win
    >| XP home - I rather doubt that the Recovry Console has been installed
    >| on her PC. But I lack the knowledge to make that determination. Can
    >| someone help me here?
    >|
    >| Thanks,
    >|
    >| Frank
    >|

    >| FrankOn Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:42:04 -0400, Unk <> wrote:

    >| >"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You
    >| >Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
    >| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    >| >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm
    >| >

    >| >Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching
    >| >Enabled Is Mounted
    >| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403
    >| >

    >| >Frank,
    >| >I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
    >| >Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed
    >| >Windows to start correctly just once. On restart, the error
    >| >returned. However, running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows
    >| >start again but it's time consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to
    >| >complete. I would suggest copying your important data to another
    >| >drive when the opportunity arises.

    Recovery Console is an integral part of Windows XP, just like Safe Mode.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 5, 2004
  7. ECLiPSE 2002

    Unk Guest

    The Recovery Console has to be installed from the WindowsXP CD. Even if it
    was previously installed, you need to boot to the WinXP CD to access it.
    (If it was previously installed, there will be a hidden, system folder named
    "cmdcons")

    If you have access to a cd burner, you can still salvage files. See "Bart's
    PE Builder". It will give you a complete Win32 environment with network
    support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem
    support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files
    to a network share, virus scan and so on.
    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Unk, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Frank;
    Power off
    Desktop:...Open the case and reseat the hard drive IDE ribbon cable at
    both ends.
    Laptop:... simply remove and reinsert the hard drive.
    If that fails:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

    Otherwise go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and
    download their hard drive diagnostics.

    Do you have a hard drive overlay such as Max Blast?
    Windows XP sometimes has issues with overlay software.
    You may need to perform a Clean Installation without their overlay
    software which is not needed anyway.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jul 5, 2004
  9. ECLiPSE 2002

    Scraggy Guest

    > Recovery Console is an integral part of Windows XP, just like Safe
    > Mode.

    Actually it is integral to a Windows XP CD. It must be installed. :)

    Scraggy, Jul 5, 2004
  10. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. I have progressed
    to the following point and reached an impasse:

    I went to the Microsoft web page that provides a download of the 6
    Windows XP startup floppy disks and was able to install them and log
    on to Recovery Console window with a c:\ prompt.

    As instructed by some responders and the Microsoft knowledge page I
    typed in CHKDSK /r to run the repair at the prompt.

    Now here is the problem: it says that setup cannot find AUTOCHK.exe in
    either the startup directory or the CD ROM drive. Since I do not have
    the WinXP CD I need to somehow find AUTOCHK.exe and see if it is
    possible to add it to the Recovery Console.

    Would anyone be able to suggest a work around or provide guidance?

    Frank

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jul 5, 2004
  11. ECLiPSE 2002

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    >| > Recovery Console is an integral part of Windows XP, just like Safe
    >| > Mode.
    >| Actually it is integral to a Windows XP CD. It must be installed.
    >| :)

    My bad <g> - guess I should get more sleep - the brain gets fuzzy sometimes
    ;o)

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Jul 5, 2004
  12. ECLiPSE 2002

    Unk Guest

    http://www.digitalforrest.com/peruggia/myfiles/autochk.zip

    Unk, Jul 5, 2004
  13. ECLiPSE 2002

    Scraggy Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "Scraggy" <> wrote in message
    >>> Actually it is integral to a Windows XP CD. It must be installed.
    >>> :)

    > My bad <g> - guess I should get more sleep - the brain gets fuzzy
    > sometimes ;o)

    I know the feeling, perhaps I should take more water with it. lol

    Scraggy, Jul 5, 2004