Help with understanding 'show ip route' output

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Smith, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    Hi all, I am using a Catalyst 6509. The following is the output of the sho
    ip route:

    MLS-1-1#sho ip route 10.213.192.96
    Routing entry for 10.213.192.96/32
    Known via "ospf 100", distance 110, metric 115, type intra area
    Last update from 10.213.192.109 on FastEthernet3/22, 00:01:29 ago
    Routing Descriptor Blocks:
    * 10.213.192.109, from 10.213.192.98, 00:01:29 ago, via FastEthernet3/22
    Route metric is 115, traffic share count is 1

    What does distance of 110 and metric of 115 mean? How are these values
    calculated? What does traffic share count mean?

    The same route via sho ip route:

    O 10.213.192.96/32
    [110/115] via 10.213.192.109, 00:02:33, FastEthernet3/22

    John Smith, Sep 3, 2005

  2. John Smith

    Robert Guest

    The distance 110 refers to the administrative distance (AD), which is a
    value assigned to every routing protocol to help in the decision
    process in the case of identical routes learned from more than one
    source. OSPF has an AD of 110, EIGRP is 90, RIP is 120, just to name a
    few.
    The metric in OSPF, referred to as cost, is calculated using the
    formula:
    cost= 100,000,000/bandwith in bps.
    I'm not positive, but I believe the traffic share count has to do with
    the way traffic will be load balanced to the destination network. Since
    OSPF doesn't support unequal cost load balancing, this should always be
    1. (Assuming I'm correct that it is used for load balancing) HTH

    Robert

    Robert, Sep 4, 2005