Help with troubleshooting PPP status

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Guest, Jun 13, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Good afternoon

    We have a Cisco 837 which connects our office to ADSL. Someone in our office inadertently cancelled our ADSL service the other day and the ISP tells me that it is now re-connected. No configuration change has been made to the Cisco 837 in the meantime, but it isn't connecting.

    If I do a "show interface", this is all I get for the Dialer1 interface.
    Dialer1 is up (spoofing), line protocol is up (spoofing)
    Hardware is Unknown
    Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP
    MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    DTR is pulsed for 1 seconds on reset
    Last input never, output never, output hang never
    Last clearing of "show interface" counters 00:21:08
    Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0
    Queueing strategy: weighted fair
    Output queue: 0/1000/64/0 (size/max total/threshold/drops)
    Conversations 0/0/16 (active/max active/max total)
    Reserved Conversations 0/0 (allocated/max allocated)
    Available Bandwidth 42 kilobits/sec
    0 packets input, 0 bytes
    0 packets output, 0 bytes

    Can anyone help me with how I can make the Cisco show me status in realtime of what's happening on the Dialer1 interface - in particular the result of it's attempts to establish a PPP connection. I'm suspecting that it's just an authentication problem - presumably the ISP have reset the password when the account was re-established. I'm just wanting to confirm this for myself whilst waiting for the ISP to get back to me.

    Would appreciate any advice.

    Regards
    Ron
    Guest, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Guest

    BernieM Guest

    <> wrote in message
[...]

    If it is authentication 'deb ppp authentication' will show you.

    BernieM
    BernieM, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Guest

    Guest

    BernieM wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > Good afternoon
    >
    > We have a Cisco 837 which connects our office to ADSL. Someone in our
    > office inadertently cancelled our ADSL service the other day and the ISP
    > tells me that it is now re-connected. No configuration change has been made
    > to the Cisco 837 in the meantime, but it isn't connecting.
    >
    > If I do a "show interface", this is all I get for the Dialer1 interface.
    > Dialer1 is up (spoofing), line protocol is up (spoofing)
    > Hardware is Unknown
    > Internet address will be negotiated using IPCP
    > MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,
    > reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255
    > Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set
    > 0 packets input, 0 bytes
    > 0 packets output, 0 bytes
    >
    > Can anyone help me with how I can make the Cisco show me status in realtime
    > of what's happening on the Dialer1 interface - in particular the result of
    > it's attempts to establish a PPP connection. I'm suspecting that it's just
    > an authentication problem - presumably the ISP have reset the password when
    > the account was re-established. I'm just wanting to confirm this for myself
    > whilst waiting for the ISP to get back to me.

    conf t
    ! If you are using telnet
    logg monitor deb

    ! If you are using console port
    logg console deb

    end

    ! redirect deb output to telnet session (vty)
    term mon

    ! use one or the other or both
    deb ppp neg
    deb ppp auth

    I feel that it is good practise not to leave console logging on
    due to potential CPU overload.

    Have a look at deb ppp ? to see what the options are.

    An authentication problem is pretty obvious from the debugs.
    , Jun 13, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Many thanks for your input.

    The ISP resolved the matter before I got a chance to implement these
    monitoring methods, but I'm grateful and will try these out. Thanks for the
    tip also about watching out for CPU overload potential.

    Regards
    Ron

    Guest, Jun 14, 2006