    3. Any help in trying to locate its location, to confirm it presence, would
    also help

    Thanks in advance
    Caught, Jan 17, 2010

  2. Caught

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Caught" <> wrote in message
    news:hiu568$30s$...
    >I was working away on this computer saturday morning when the AVG Resident
    >Shield alert 'popped up' saying that I was infected with the above ...
    >bugger.
    >
    > I have restored the system to a couple of days previous, ie Thursday.
    >
    > 1. Will this eliminate the infection? I am hoping this will be enough!!!
    > [I also read that AVG has some problems with false positives]
    >
    > 2. Would it be better and more adviseable [regardless of the pain - as I
    > not a tecky] to save the contents of My documents and restore the whole
    > system?
    >
    > 3. Any help in trying to locate its location, to confirm it presence,
    > would also help
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Go here
    http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

    run that

    Then uninstall AVG.. and install something better.
    Craig Sutton, Jan 17, 2010

  3. Caught

    John Little Guest

    On Jan 17, 10:00 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    > Then uninstall AVG..  and install something better.

    Such as? I've seen this advice often, but the only alternatives that
    have been mentioned rated worse than AVG when tested by the British
    consumer magazine "Which?".

    Regards, John
    John Little, Jan 17, 2010
  4. Caught

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 15:14:49 -0800 (PST), John Little
    <> wrote:

    >On Jan 17, 10:00 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Then uninstall AVG..  and install something better.

    >Such as? I've seen this advice often, but the only alternatives that
    >have been mentioned rated worse than AVG when tested by the British
    >consumer magazine "Which?".
    >
    >Regards, John

    But what versions were they..?

    Try Antivir

    http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

    Avast I find gives far to many false positives, plus AVG was a dirty trick
    company as the used to sell AVP the Kaspersky one.

    Also there is this Free Kaspersky one that can be used to validate a virus,
    but its not a online scanner and has to be dnloaded each month for the
    updates.

    http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
    Mary Hanna, Jan 18, 2010
  5. In message <hiu568$30s$>, Caught wrote:

    > I have restored the system to a couple of days previous, ie Thursday.
    >
    > 1. Will this eliminate the infection?

    With Dimdows, you can never be sure. Your safest bet is to reformat and
    reinstall.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 18, 2010
  6. Caught

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 13:49:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >In message <hiu568$30s$>, Caught wrote:
    >
    >> I have restored the system to a couple of days previous, ie Thursday.
    >>
    >> 1. Will this eliminate the infection?

    >With Dimdows, you can never be sure. Your safest bet is to reformat and
    >reinstall.

    Utter Load of CRAP, there is no need to Format and Reinstall.

    So don't post Crap about a OS you done even know a thing about..
    Mary Hanna, Jan 18, 2010
  7. Caught

    Enkidu Guest

    John Little wrote:
    > On Jan 17, 10:00 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Then uninstall AVG.. and install something better.

    > Such as? I've seen this advice often, but the only alternatives that
    > have been mentioned rated worse than AVG when tested by the British
    > consumer magazine "Which?".

    I use Avast of the windows systems that I have to look after. AVG seemed
    OK a first but rapidly got annoying.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jan 18, 2010
  8. Caught

    neutrino Guest

    On Jan 18, 8:35 pm, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > John Little wrote:
    > > On Jan 17, 10:00 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:

    > >> Then uninstall AVG..  and install something better.

    > > Such as?  I've seen this advice often, but the only alternatives that
    > > have been mentioned rated worse than AVG when tested by the British
    > > consumer magazine "Which?".

    I find Avast very good,...
    plus go get the (free) A-Squared (- http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/
    -)
    it's excellent !! and regardless of any false positives - if you
    quarantine found bugs, when you next update
    the program -it'll recheck those quarantined files, and if found to be
    safe - it'll restore them.
    pays to update it regularly - if you leave for a week or so.. the
    update download can be quite large.
    neutrino, Jan 18, 2010
  9. Caught

    Mary Hanna Guest

    On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 20:35:41 +1300, Enkidu <> wrote:

    >John Little wrote:
    >> On Jan 17, 10:00 pm, "Craig Sutton" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Then uninstall AVG.. and install something better.

    >> Such as? I've seen this advice often, but the only alternatives that
    >> have been mentioned rated worse than AVG when tested by the British
    >> consumer magazine "Which?".
    >>

    >I use Avast of the windows systems that I have to look after. AVG seemed
    >OK a first but rapidly got annoying.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Avast gives to many False Positives for my liking..

    As I have stated try Antivir..
    Mary Hanna, Jan 18, 2010