    (Windows XP 64 needs <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) it could be
    corrupt or something like that. I can startup the xp32 just fine. Just cant
    get passed this to finish the xp64 install.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 24, 2005

  2. Also when I boot into XP32 and go and look at the third partition in the
    windows32 file the ntoskrnl file is there. So I made a copy and went to the
    1st partition and copied the xp64 ntoskrnl file to the xp32 overwrote it and
    still the same thing. I get that error. Please help been trying to get this
    installed for 2 weeks now. PS this is what my Boot loader says, It looks
    right to me.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    [operating systems]
    Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64"
    /fastdetect /noexecute=optout

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 24, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Tue, 24 May 2005 05:24:07 -0700, "Mongo"
    <> wrote:

    >Also when I boot into XP32 and go and look at the third partition in the
    >windows32 file the ntoskrnl file is there. So I made a copy and went to the
    >1st partition and copied the xp64 ntoskrnl file to the xp32 overwrote it and
    >still the same thing. I get that error. Please help been trying to get this
    >installed for 2 weeks now. PS this is what my Boot loader says, It looks
    >right to me.

    I had the same problem, and what worked for me was to copy the
    "ntldr"-file from the 64-bit partition to the 32-bit partition.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 24, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Rick Guest

    Mongo wrote:
    > Hey I was trying to install the Trial XP64 that I got from MS, And I keep
    > getting an error. First off my system specs:
    >
    > AMD 64 3400+
    > Abit KV8 Max3
    > 1 Gig of DDR 400
    > XFX Geforce 6800 Ultra
    > Maxtor 200gb Hard-drive IDE
    >
    > This is a self built system that has been working great for about a year
    > now. Ok I have the hard-drive with 3 partitions 1-100gb with Windows XP Pro.
    > 2-45gb with random files. 3-45gb Windows XP 64 Ok I got the disc
    > shipped from Microsoft for the 64 trial. I put it in to install and it
    > works fine to start with, It copies the files then reboots. At this point
    > I get the screen to pick from xp32 or xp64 But if I pick the xp64 it says
    > (Windows XP 64 needs <windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe) it could be
    > corrupt or something like that. I can startup the xp32 just fine. Just cant
    > get passed this to finish the xp64 install.

    It sounds like x64 didn't put its copy of ntoskrnl.exe on the XP Pro
    (32-bit) partition. The XP Pro version cannot load x64, but x64 cab
    load XP Pro.

    Copy the file from the x64 partition to you C:\ drive. Rename the
    original one to ntoskrnl.bak first.

    Rick, May 24, 2005
  5. Were do I put it on the C: Drive? Because I copied the ntoskrnl.exe file
    from the XP64 Partition and put it in the xp32 system32 file were there was
    one already. But after I reboot I get the same message.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 25, 2005
  6. Mongo wrote:
    > Were do I put it on the C: Drive? Because I copied the
    > ntoskrnl.exe file from the XP64 Partition and put it in the xp32
    > system32 file were there was one already. But after I reboot I get
    > the same message.

    you have to copy the file on the root, so, on c:\

    Cheers

    --
    Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)
    Johannesburg - South Africa

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 25, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    I had the same problem. but only when i booted the cd from my slave cd rom
    drive .... The problem went away when I booted from my primary CD /dvd
    player

    Dennis

    MHPNW STAFF, May 25, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Rick Guest

    Mongo wrote:
    > Were do I put it on the C: Drive? Because I copied the ntoskrnl.exe file
    > from the XP64 Partition and put it in the xp32 system32 file were there was
    > one already. But after I reboot I get the same message.

    I think I may have had a brain fart and given you the wrong information.
    I think 'ntldr' in the root is the file you need from the x64 partition.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    Rick, May 25, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Wed, 25 May 2005 07:18:51 -0400, Rick <> wrote:

    >Mongo wrote:
    >> Were do I put it on the C: Drive? Because I copied the ntoskrnl.exe file
    >> from the XP64 Partition and put it in the xp32 system32 file were there was
    >> one already. But after I reboot I get the same message.

    >I think I may have had a brain fart and given you the wrong information.
    > I think 'ntldr' in the root is the file you need from the x64 partition.
    >
    >Can anyone confirm this?

    Yes, that was what did it for me, copy the "ntldr" and _not_ the
    "ntoskrnl.exe". It should go into the root of your 32-bit drive.
    It's on the CD in the "I386"-directory.
    The 32-bit version of "ntldr" for XP Pro SP2 is 250.032 bytes
    The 64-bit version of "ntldr" for x64 is 295.536 bytes

    Good luck

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 25, 2005
  10. Well thanks for the replies. I wish I had gotten those 2 last post a day
    earilier. BECAUSE I killed my xp32 trying to get the xp64 up and going. I
    have gotten so pissed at this I said fook it and Zeroed the whole drive,
    Repartitioned the drive,Formated the drive. And I just got finished with the
    install of WINDOWS XP 64. WOOOHOOO! I install xp64 on the first partiton.
    It is done and working fine, But Im getting ready to install the xp32 now on
    partition 2 I hope it doesnt screw up the xp64. And I hope installing the
    xp64 on the first partiton is not problems down the road. Wish me luck and
    thanks for the help ANYWAY.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 26, 2005
  11. No, don't do it. Installing the 32-bit after the 64 bit will surely cause
    problems. The 32-bit installation program doesn't know anything about x64.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 26, 2005
  12. Crap! ok I have now installed xp32 and it works fine but it killed the xp64
    it now gives me the same error ( ntoskrnl ) So I found the ntldr on the
    xp64 cd, But were do I put it on the xp32 system. I tried to put it in the
    windows/driver cache/I386/Drivers and it will not let me copy it there. I
    put it in the windows file no change. the I put it in the system32 file no
    change. So were exactly do I put it. C: What.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 26, 2005
  13. No One?

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 26, 2005
  14. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Juan Jansen Guest

    Try to copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from the x64 cd to the boot drive
    (probably C:\) overwrite them both

    Check if you're boot drive (where boot.ini is located) is really C:\
    otherwise use the other drive

    Gretings

    Juan Jansen, May 26, 2005
  15. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 02:32:08 -0700, "Mongo"
    <> wrote:

    >No One?

    In the root of your 32-bit partition.
    If that drive is, say D: it goes to D:\
    Replace the D with whatever the 32-bit
    partition is called.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 26, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 11:41:30 +0200, "Juan Jansen"
    <> wrote:

    >Try to copy ntldr and ntdetect.com from the x64 cd to the boot drive
    >(probably C:\) overwrite them both

    Better to just rename the originals, so you can always go back from
    within the Recovery-console if needs be.

    jud

    Jud Hendrix, May 26, 2005
  17. Ok I bootup into xp32. I checked and now the boot drive is D: were the
    xp32 was installed. My xp64 is on C: Anyway I put the Trial XP64 cd in and
    copied the ntoskrnl and ntdetect files over to the D: Partiton. SAME. So I
    put those 2 files in the Windows file Same. So I put those 2 files in the
    system32 file SAME. SO I put those 2 files in the SP1 file SAME. I havent
    put SP2 on the system yet But everything that I have tried and I still get
    that error. I did a search for the ntoskrnl file and I see its in the
    drivers cache file but I cant replace that one. It will not let me. This is
    such crap and I dont understand it.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 26, 2005
  18. =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 26 May 2005 04:02:01 -0700, "Mongo"
    <> wrote:

    >Ok I bootup into xp32. I checked and now the boot drive is D: were the
    >xp32 was installed. My xp64 is on C: Anyway I put the Trial XP64 cd in and
    >copied the ntoskrnl and ntdetect files over to the D: Partiton. SAME. So I
    >put those 2 files in the Windows file Same. So I put those 2 files in the
    >system32 file SAME. SO I put those 2 files in the SP1 file SAME. I havent
    >put SP2 on the system yet But everything that I have tried and I still get
    >that error. I did a search for the ntoskrnl file and I see its in the
    >drivers cache file but I cant replace that one. It will not let me. This is
    >such crap and I dont understand it.

    Try and copy the "ntldr"-file (so NOT the ntoskrnl.exe) from your
    x64-CD (it is in the "i386"-directory on the CD), to your D:\ and
    then reboot.

    Jud Hendrix, May 26, 2005
  19. Mongo <> wrote:
    > No One?
    >
    > "Mongo" wrote:
    >
    >> Crap! ok I have now installed xp32 and it works fine but it killed
    >> the xp64 it now gives me the same error ( ntoskrnl ) So I found
    >> the ntldr on the xp64 cd, But were do I put it on the xp32 system.
    >> I tried to put it in the windows/driver cache/I386/Drivers and it
    >> will not let me copy it there. I put it in the windows file no
    >> change. the I put it in the system32 file no change. So were
    >> exactly do I put it. C: What.

    If you're not sure, just restart your pc with the x64 CD in it and do a
    repair (not wheh the setup ask it for the first time but the second time).
    It will reinstall x64 on the top of your former version and fix the
    bootrecord.

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy \(MS MVP XP\), May 26, 2005
  20. If you read the first thing that I posted in this, Thats were I started. I
    had xp32 running then I installed xp64 and it would not start after the 1st
    reboot it said Windows needs system32\ntoskrnl.exe it is missing or corupt.
    I kept playing around triying to get it to work and ended up making the xp32
    stop booting. So I Zeroed the drive then partitoned it in to 3 parts. Then
    I installed xp64 on the 1st partition and It worked great. I rebooted it a
    few time everything was good so I then installed xp32 on the 2nd partition
    and now I get the same error as before and cant boot to xp64, But the xp32
    works fine. I have tried everything posted above and it changes nothing.

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9uZ28=?=, May 26, 2005