Help with torrents!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Mark Whiteley, Jan 1, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    may not be the corect newsgroup sorry in advance....

    I am using bittorrent, i have a 2mb internet conection with my cable
    provider.

    I can download at 250kbs over http(standard web downloads, i think) which i
    think is about right for my connection. However I have started using
    bittorrent I only achieve max 40kb/s.

    I have tried all the geneal tips like increasing the tcp/ip stack to allow
    for 100conections ect.. but i still don' get any downloads over 40kb/s

    Is this the maximum speed to be expected using public trackers?

    Is bittorrent the fatest program using this protocol? or is for example,
    bitlord faster.

    Could you let me know what speeds ur all reachin usin torrent software with
    similer net connection so i can compare?

    I would have expected the 250/kbs, making it at least as fast as general web
    downloads, maybe i'm just hopin for too much!!

    Any help or comparrisions?

    Thanks all
    Mark

    Mark Whiteley, Jan 1, 2007

  2. Mark Whiteley

    dgates Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 17:31:01 GMT, "Mark Whiteley"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >may not be the corect newsgroup sorry in advance....
    >
    >I am using bittorrent, i have a 2mb internet conection with my cable
    >provider.
    >
    >I can download at 250kbs over http(standard web downloads, i think) which i
    >think is about right for my connection. However I have started using
    >bittorrent I only achieve max 40kb/s.
    >
    >I have tried all the geneal tips like increasing the tcp/ip stack to allow
    >for 100conections ect.. but i still don' get any downloads over 40kb/s
    >
    >Is this the maximum speed to be expected using public trackers?
    >
    >Is bittorrent the fatest program using this protocol? or is for example,
    >bitlord faster.
    >
    >Could you let me know what speeds ur all reachin usin torrent software with
    >similer net connection so i can compare?
    >
    >I would have expected the 250/kbs, making it at least as fast as general web
    >downloads, maybe i'm just hopin for too much!!
    >
    >Any help or comparrisions?

    For what it's worth, the "correct" group is alt.bittorrent

    Nevertheless, I'm pretty sure you should be able to get faster than
    40kb/s.

    dgates, Jan 1, 2007

  3. There are two sides to the equation - how fast people can upload to you
    maybe a limiting factor.

    Stephen Clark, Jan 1, 2007
  4. Mark Whiteley

    Sean Black Guest

    In article <pzbmh.6670$>, Mark Whiteley
    <> writes
    >Hi all,
    >
    >may not be the corect newsgroup sorry in advance....
    >
    >I am using bittorrent, i have a 2mb internet conection with my cable
    >provider.
    >
    >I can download at 250kbs over http(standard web downloads, i think) which i
    >think is about right for my connection. However I have started using
    >bittorrent I only achieve max 40kb/s.
    >
    >I have tried all the geneal tips like increasing the tcp/ip stack to allow
    >for 100conections ect.. but i still don' get any downloads over 40kb/s
    >
    >Is this the maximum speed to be expected using public trackers?
    >
    >Is bittorrent the fatest program using this protocol? or is for example,
    >bitlord faster.
    >
    >Could you let me know what speeds ur all reachin usin torrent software with
    >similer net connection so i can compare?
    >
    >I would have expected the 250/kbs, making it at least as fast as general web
    >downloads, maybe i'm just hopin for too much!!
    >
    >Any help or comparrisions?

    Maybe your ISP is throttling it. What BT client are you using? If you
    haven't already try Azeurus or Utorrent, both of which allow encryption.
    My ISP started throttling torrents, overnight it went down to 20kb/s, I
    switched to utorrent and turned on encryption and I'm back up to full
    speed of around 150-160kb/s on my 1.5mb connection.
    --
    Sean Black

    Sean Black, Jan 4, 2007
  5. Thanks I will try azures i use bitlord currently,

    my ip may well throttle back on torrents anybody know if NTL do that? .

    I just upgraded to a 4mg line now to try and speed it up. still it only
    enables more downloads not faster speeds or not very often anyway!!

    I will try the encription

    Mark

    Mark Whiteley, Jan 7, 2007