    Thanks!

    woorzel

    , Jan 30, 2007

  2. banjo Guest

    --

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I was wondering about an issue with my D50. When in manual mode, it
    > does not always trigger... (it does 99% of the time though).
    > Isn't the whole point of the M mode to leave all settings to the user,
    > so we have complete control over everything?
    > Shouldn't the camera trigger work at all times and the picture be
    > taken, no matter how blurry/dark/... or unfocused it would come out?
    >
    > My D50 works great in M mode in most situations, but then sometimes it
    > won't take the picture when not focused properly for example.
    > I know for a fact that this is not a problem with my specific camera
    > because I confirmed this on another D50.
    > Has anyone else ran into this? Did I misunderstand something about
    > this mode?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > woorzel

    on the front of the camera, beside the lens mounting there is a switch with
    " AF/MF", turn this to MF , you will now be in manual focus, the AF is for
    auto focus.

    banjo, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Ed Ruf Guest

    On 30 Jan 2007 06:24:24 -0800, in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I was wondering about an issue with my D50. When in manual mode, it
    >does not always trigger... (it does 99% of the time though).
    >Isn't the whole point of the M mode to leave all settings to the user,
    >so we have complete control over everything?
    >Shouldn't the camera trigger work at all times and the picture be
    >taken, no matter how blurry/dark/... or unfocused it would come out?
    >
    >My D50 works great in M mode in most situations, but then sometimes it
    >won't take the picture when not focused properly for example.
    >I know for a fact that this is not a problem with my specific camera
    >because I confirmed this on another D50.
    >Has anyone else ran into this? Did I misunderstand something about
    >this mode?

    Yes you are misunderstanding M mode. M mode refers to how the shutter
    speed and lens aperture are set. It has nothing to do with focusing.
    The D50 has three types of focus modes: AF-A, the default, AF-S and
    AF-C. See p. 88 of the fine manual. I'm guessing in AF-S mode,
    whether explicitly set or automatically chosen while in AF-A mode the
    shutter release requires the camera to be focused before allowing the
    shutter to be released. However when in AF-C mode this is not the
    case. On higher level Nikon bodies you have some or full control of
    the shutter release settings. On the D50 it appears you have none. So
    you can either set the camera AF option to AF-C mode or use the focus
    mode selector to select full manual focus mode as per p. 35 of the
    fine manual.
    -
    Ed Ruf ()

    Ed Ruf, Jan 30, 2007