Help with text file decoding...inside please

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cray, Aug 30, 2007.

  1. cray

    cray Guest

    begin 644 How To Build Your Own Underground Home.pdf

    I have several of what appears to be text files.

    They will open with Notepad and the first line is similar to
    the first line in this msg. That is: begin.....and then a pdf file name

    How do I handle these....a couple are multi megabyte size

    Thanks for any insight.

    Cray

    cray, Aug 30, 2007

  2. cray

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:01:11 -0400, cray wrote:

    > begin 644 How To Build Your Own Underground Home.pdf
    >

    > I have several of what appears to be text files.
    >
    > They will open with Notepad and the first line is similar to
    > the first line in this msg. That is: begin.....and then a pdf file name
    >

    > How do I handle these....a couple are multi megabyte size
    >
    > Thanks for any insight.
    >
    > Cray

    These are Uuencoded binary files. Your news reader should handle these if
    that's where you are getting them. Google uuencode for more instructions.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uuencode
    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2007

  3. cray

    Mike Easter Guest

    cray wrote:

    > begin 644 How To Build Your Own Underground Home.pdf

    That's an odd way to construct a news message

    > I have several of what appears to be text files.

    That's an odd way to describe what I think you are trying to describe.
    'Appears to be a text file' would mean that you would be looking at
    'text' which is words and sentences and spaces. If instead you are
    looking at an ascii version of a binary file, it wouldn't be described
    as a text file at all.

    > They will open with Notepad and the first line is similar to
    > the first line in this msg. That is: begin.....and then a pdf file

    name

    I would have to assume that you have a 'derivation' of something else
    which you have neglected to state where and how it was derived.

    o If, once upon a time, someone attached a .pdf file to an email and...
    o ... if the email were sent by an unusual (these days) uuencoding
    scheme instead of MIME,
    o ... then the file might be a uuencoding of a .pdf file

    If all of that were true, then you would...
    o put some kind of extender on the file, such as .uue and...
    o use a uudecoding tool. Iceows is the one I use
    o the result should be a uudecoding of the 'attachment' which was
    previously on a mail I guess

    Then and next you might have another problem. Some .pdf files are
    encoded. I've searched around the web for 'How To Build Your Own
    Underground Home.pdf' and I see that some people are selling such ebooks
    as that -- where they want to be paid a few dollars to cover their
    bandwidth costs for making such ebooks available.

    If that is the case, then in addition to the 'ordinary'
    non-cryptographic uudecoding, then you would also have to have a
    cryptographic crack of a secured .pdf file.

    > How do I handle these....a couple are multi megabyte size

    They are presumably uuencoded and the .pdf might be encoded/secure as
    well.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 30, 2007
  4. cray

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > cray wrote:
    >
    >> begin 644 How To Build Your Own Underground Home.pdf

    The almost 50 meg .pdf of How To Build Your Own Underground Home (2nd
    ed) is a bootlegged/ scanned/ version of this 1985 paperback
    http://snipurl.com/1q3ri (snurled link to Amazon site for Ray Scott's
    book)

    You can buy a used version of the hardback version for less than $2 +
    shipping & h.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 30, 2007