Help with temporary internet files?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by gita lal, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. gita lal

    gita lal Guest

    Config:
    XP Pro
    2 users, I am admin
    IE 6

    Main drive is c:\
    I have my "dump" drive set to e:\ - this is where I put stuff I've
    downloaded, 'til I get to it later to sort thru it.

    When I click on a file in IE, it is downloaded to some temporary
    location. This is really only noticeable with large files, when I see
    them being moved to my designated directory after the download is
    complete.

    The problem is that the move takes forever, if it's a large file. I
    thought this extra step was unnecessary, so what I did was to go into
    Control Panel > Internet Options and change the settings for the
    Temporary Internet Files location so that they were stored on E:\. I
    thought that was the directory to which files were temporarily
    downloaded. I was wrong. Files are still being stored somewhere and
    being moved to e:\ after the download is complete. Anyone know where
    that "somewhere" is, and if the location can be changed?

    Thanks!
    ..g

    * drop your pants to reply via e-mail ;)
    gita lal, Jul 6, 2003

  2. gita lal

    Phil L. B. Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 16:04:05 -0400, gita lal
    <> wrote:

    >Config:
    >XP Pro
    >2 users, I am admin
    >IE 6
    >
    >Main drive is c:\
    >I have my "dump" drive set to e:\ - this is where I put stuff I've
    >downloaded, 'til I get to it later to sort thru it.
    >
    >When I click on a file in IE, it is downloaded to some temporary
    >location. This is really only noticeable with large files, when I see
    >them being moved to my designated directory after the download is
    >complete.
    >
    >The problem is that the move takes forever, if it's a large file. I
    >thought this extra step was unnecessary, so what I did was to go into
    >Control Panel > Internet Options and change the settings for the
    >Temporary Internet Files location so that they were stored on E:\. I
    >thought that was the directory to which files were temporarily
    >downloaded. I was wrong. Files are still being stored somewhere and
    >being moved to e:\ after the download is complete. Anyone know where
    >that "somewhere" is, and if the location can be changed?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >.g
    >
    >* drop your pants to reply via e-mail ;)

    Location is in a hidden system folder, you need to turn off the hide
    system folders option (Tools\Folder Options), go to C:\Documents and
    Settings\{USER for each user}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
    Now good luck in setting the new location.
    Phil L. B., Jul 6, 2003

  3. gita lal

    gita lal Guest

    On Sun, 06 Jul 2003 13:35:19 -0700, Phil L. B. <>
    wrote:

    >Location is in a hidden system folder, you need to turn off the hide
    >system folders option (Tools\Folder Options), go to C:\Documents and
    >Settings\{USER for each user}\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.
    >Now good luck in setting the new location.

    Thanks for your response, Phil. This was the first thing I tried;
    unfortunately, it didn't work. The files did not download to the new
    location. Explorer is configured to display hidden files/folders.

    gita lal, Jul 8, 2003