    as configuration? My goal is that if any fiber link and/or switch breaks, an
    alt path exists. Since STP diameter is large than 7 I suppose I cannot just
    rely on layer 2 and should break these up into layer 3 somehow?

    ec, Aug 23, 2004

  2. ec

    Steinar Haug Guest

    ["ec"]

    | That is an 8 switch diameter, and concerned with STP. The 3550's have EMI
    | images so I have flexibility there. What would you recommend for this as far
    | as configuration? My goal is that if any fiber link and/or switch breaks, an
    | alt path exists. Since STP diameter is large than 7 I suppose I cannot just
    | rely on layer 2 and should break these up into layer 3 somehow?

    Layer 3 is often a good choice. You may also want to look into Rapid
    Spanning Tree (RSTP, 802.1w) which doesn't have the 7 hop limit of
    standard 802.1d STP - and also gives you much faster rerouting.

    Cisco Per-VLAN RSTP is a breeze to configure (just turn it on) as long as
    all the switches support it.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Aug 23, 2004

  3. ec

    ec Guest

    "Steinar Haug" <> wrote in message
    > ["ec"]
    >
    > | That is an 8 switch diameter, and concerned with STP. The 3550's have
    > EMI
    > | images so I have flexibility there. What would you recommend for this as
    > far
    > | as configuration? My goal is that if any fiber link and/or switch
    > breaks, an
    > | alt path exists. Since STP diameter is large than 7 I suppose I cannot
    > just
    > | rely on layer 2 and should break these up into layer 3 somehow?
    >
    > Layer 3 is often a good choice. You may also want to look into Rapid
    > Spanning Tree (RSTP, 802.1w) which doesn't have the 7 hop limit of
    > standard 802.1d STP - and also gives you much faster rerouting.
    >
    > Cisco Per-VLAN RSTP is a breeze to configure (just turn it on) as long as
    > all the switches support it.
    >
    > Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Damn, spanning-tree mode rapid is your friend! Thanks, I never knew 2950G
    supported per vlan rapid-stp. Cisco docs say it doesn't, but the command is
    there and it does work. What are the limitations of RSTP?

    ec, Aug 23, 2004
  4. ec

    shinobi

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hi ,

    Can you refer me to resource or url of this comment : ( 802.1w does not have 7 hop limit)

    Layer 3 is often a good choice. You may also want to look into Rapid
    Spanning Tree (RSTP, 802.1w) which doesn't have the 7 hop limit of
    standard 802.1d STP - and also gives you much faster rerouting.

    Thanks

    shinobi, Jul 25, 2006