Help with sudden decimation of my hard drive capacity

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 28, 2005.

  1. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    PC specs: Pentium 4, 512 MB memory, 40 GB hard drive with Windows XP

    Last week I had 85% of my hard drive capacity and for some unknown
    reason now I show 90% of the hard drive as used!

    I am at a loss to explain what has caused this dramatic change. I
    haven't done anything new or unusual in the past week.

    I had hoped that I could run system restore in the event that some
    program or its executable has gone wild and get back to an earlier
    state but System Recovery will not run because of a virtual memory
    problem?

    I would appreciate any input or guidance on how I can learn what is
    responsible for this over utilization, or what steps I might take to
    find and remedy theis situation.

    I have run two different full virus scans and nothing was found.

    I have run two different disk cleanup utilities

    I have run defrag and error checking utilities

    Should I examine every program folder and subfolder to look for
    excessive file sizes?

    I would appreciate any input or guidance on how I can learn what may
    be responsible for this over utilization, or what steps I might take
    to find and remedy this situation.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 28, 2005

  2. ECLiPSE 2002

    Cecks Guest

    system restore is using your up your hardrive/

    Cecks, Jan 28, 2005

  3. ECLiPSE 2002

    ECLiPSE 2002 Guest

    Cecks,
    Thanks very much for the response - you were correct - system restore
    was indeed consuming my hard drive capacity.

    Mary

    ECLiPSE 2002, Jan 29, 2005