  1. Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    a computer?
    Eochaid Buide, Mar 25, 2009

  2. Eochaid Buide

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:32:28 -0500, Eochaid Buide <>
    wrote:

    >Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    >regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    >a computer?

    No offense, but if you have to ask, it's likely more involved and more
    costly to do than to just buy a cheap pair of computer speakers.

    First, you said you have A speaker - One? You can likely find a cheap
    pair of stereo speakers at a local computer shop for $10. But...

    You can go to a local electronics shop - Radio Shack, etc. I believe
    this will work, someone correct me if I'm wrong...

    Get a mono 1/8" end. Not sure what precisely it's called, but it will
    look like a 1/8" adapter on one end, and nothing on the other, But
    kind of look like a threaded needle on the other end. You'll need to
    connect the rwo parts of the speaker wire to the adapter. The adapter
    will probably be $3 - $4.

    Not sure how to better explain it. If you see it, maybe it will make
    sense. But like I said, the time and hassle isn't worth it.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009

  3. Eochaid Buide

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 14:56:00 -0500, VanguardLH <> wrote:

    >Oh boy, here we go.
    >
    >So, does your computer have high-powered audio output? If not, where
    >are you going to get the power supply and amplifier to power the
    >speaker?

    Ohhh yeah... Forgot about that point. Good point. The last speaker I
    did this on was self amplified. But yeah, without an amp, you won't
    get any (or much) audio. :)
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
  4. Eochaid Buide

    chuckcar Guest

    Eochaid Buide <> wrote in

    > Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    > regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    > a computer?

    You don't. Not unless you have an EE degree. You have to build a) a power
    supply for a b) amplifier for the speaker to say nothing of the enclosure
    and cabling/plugs. Just go out and *buy* powered speakers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2009
  5. Eochaid Buide

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 25 Mar 2009 21:16:14 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >You don't. Not unless you have an EE degree.

    Wow, you should be a comedienne, because you are friggin funny.
    Evan Platt, Mar 25, 2009
  6. Eochaid Buide

    catchme Guest

    Eochaid Buide wrote:
    > Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    > regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    > a computer?

    first you need a shielded enclosure, and install some audio jacks (i.e.
    RCA) to it.
    An unshielded speaker will play havoc with your circuit chips, etc. and
    if close to your monitor, will "recalibrate" your monitor so it looks
    like it was designed by a hippie on lsd.
    catchme, Mar 26, 2009
  7. Eochaid Buide wrote:

    > Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    > regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    > a computer?

    First "a" stereo speaker makes no stereo sound. You need two of them.
    2nd, if there are "just" speaker wires and no power wire, it isn't
    a "active" speaker and the output of your soundcard cannot drive it.
    3rd, a "regular speaker wire" would be a pair of black and red not-too-thin
    cables with open end (here, but somewhere else there may well be a plug
    attached). Not suitable for plugging into a soundcard audio-out socket.
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 26, 2009
  8. Eochaid Buide

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    catchme wrote:
    > Eochaid Buide wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    >> regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    >> a computer?

    > first you need a shielded enclosure, and install some audio jacks (i.e.
    > RCA) to it.
    > An unshielded speaker will play havoc with your circuit chips, etc.

    Wrong. Weak magnetic fields will not damage or play havoc with
    semiconductors. What do you suppose is fitted into the plastic speaker
    boxes you have on your desktop?

    > and
    > if close to your monitor, will "recalibrate" your monitor so it looks
    > like it was designed by a hippie on lsd.

    Partially true if it was a huge 15" sub woofer and the monitor was a CRT
    - a quick press of the degauss button would fix that. The OP said it was
    3x3 which is tiny and who uses a CRT these days?
    Desk Rabbit, Mar 26, 2009
  9. Eochaid Buide

    thanatoid Guest

    Eochaid Buide <> wrote in

    > Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something.
    > It has regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up
    > so I can use it with a computer?

    Older computers had sound amps built into the motherborad sound
    chip or in the sound card. Look on the back, if there are a
    bunch of mini-jacks (like for the Walkmans), one of them may be
    an amp output - 2W usually, but you'd be surprised what a 2W can
    do.

    All computers have a mini-jack with line-out - it's the new
    computers that have new sound cards that don't have AMPLIFIERS
    in them - because everyone is buying powered speakers, the
    fools.
    See last paragraph for more on that.

    Get a mini-plug (1/8") and thin (18 gauge is fine, although some
    wire from an AC extension cord will work as fine - except hell
    to fir inside the mini-jack) and hook it up. The amp output will
    be stereo, so unless you get a stereo mini-plug and put one wire
    on ground and both other on live, you will only get one channel.
    The guy who sells you the mini jack MAY be able to explain (the
    days of salesmen that knew something appear to be history).

    If you do NOT have a built-in amp, "computer speakers" are all
    shit unless you spend several hundred dollars. Your best bet -
    with BETTER sound quality - is to get an old stereo at a yard
    sale or something and use a stereo mini-plug to two RCA
    connector cable plugged into anything but phono, IOW line, tape,
    aux.

    --
    "Who knows what the OP is talking about?"
    (about thanatoid)
    thanatoid, Mar 26, 2009
  10. catchme wrote:

    > Eochaid Buide wrote:
    >> Hi, I have a small stereo speaker, like a 3x3 or something. It has
    >> regular speaker wires attached. How do I hook it up so I can use it with
    >> a computer?

    > first you need a shielded enclosure, and install some audio jacks (i.e.
    > RCA) to it.
    > An unshielded speaker will play havoc with your circuit chips, etc. and
    > if close to your monitor, will "recalibrate" your monitor so it looks
    > like it was designed by a hippie on lsd.

    That makes me remember a former w0rkplace with a (2nd floor level) subway
    across the street. Nice to have the subway station nearby, but we could see
    rainbows on our (crt) monitors that time ... everytime a subway
    accelerated :)
    wisdomkiller & pain, Mar 26, 2009
  11. Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > Partially true if it was a huge 15" sub woofer and the monitor was a CRT
    > - a quick press of the degauss button would fix that. The OP said it was
    > 3x3 which is tiny and who uses a CRT these days?

    Whadda youse work for Best Buy?

    "Now desk rabbit...I want you to create demand for LCD displays..."
    "Yes Sir!", chirped desk rabbit.

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/
    http://palinpics4truth.blogspot.com