Help With Speakers

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mr Pounder, May 22, 2004.

  1. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    Pushing 5 years old Packard Bell (PB 9533) running win 98se.

    A friend has given me a Compaq Trinitron 20'' monitor which is excellent.

    The only problem is the existing Packard Bell speakers are Diamond which are
    custom made for this model of computer.
    There are 2 jackplugs that plug into the back of the tower system.
    Unfortunately one of the jack plugs emerges from the tower end of the
    computer to monitor cable.
    This cable feed directly into the Packard Bell monitor .....no plug ......
    so I have used the cable which came with the 20'' monitor which of course
    means that I have no sound.

    I will be upgrading next year I do not wish to spend much on this machine,
    however I suspect that buying a new pair of speakers will be my only option.
    Argos knock out a pair of Goodmans for about £20, however I have no idea
    what kind of plug may be fitted to the end of the speakers.
    Would it be a straight forward USB connector or is the situation more
    complex?
    Don't want to buy the speakers then find out that I do not have a port for
    the connection.

    Any help much appreciated.

    Steve

    ---
    Mr Pounder, May 22, 2004

  2. Mr Pounder wrote:

    > Pushing 5 years old Packard Bell (PB 9533) running win 98se.
    >
    > A friend has given me a Compaq Trinitron 20'' monitor which is excellent.
    >
    > The only problem is the existing Packard Bell speakers are Diamond which are
    > custom made for this model of computer.
    > There are 2 jackplugs that plug into the back of the tower system.
    > Unfortunately one of the jack plugs emerges from the tower end of the
    > computer to monitor cable.
    > This cable feed directly into the Packard Bell monitor .....no plug ......
    > so I have used the cable which came with the 20'' monitor which of course
    > means that I have no sound.
    >
    > I will be upgrading next year I do not wish to spend much on this machine,
    > however I suspect that buying a new pair of speakers will be my only option.
    > Argos knock out a pair of Goodmans for about £20, however I have no idea
    > what kind of plug may be fitted to the end of the speakers.
    > Would it be a straight forward USB connector or is the situation more
    > complex?
    > Don't want to buy the speakers then find out that I do not have a port for
    > the connection.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    Two options exist:
    Firstly, the original system had a USB sound card and
    powered speakers built into the monitor. In which case you
    will need a new sound card as well as new powered speakers.

    Secondly, the original system has a sound card in the
    computer but had the powered speakers in the monitor. In
    which case you will need new powered speakers.

    You can tell which you have from the sockets you have on the
    back of the tower. If you have little round stereo jack
    sockets for your microphone, line in and speaker out - then
    all you need is new powered speaker pair. As long as they
    are intended for use with a computer, they will have a
    miniature jack stereo plug to connect to the computer.

    If you don't have miniature stereo jack sockets on the
    tower, then the sound card was built into the monitor and
    connected via USB. In that case, you need a new sound card -
    either to be fitted internally in the tower, or an external
    USB one. Plus, of course, powerered speakers.

    Once you have a stereo miniature jack socket available, any
    pair of speakers sold for use with a computer will do.
    Speakers sold for use with a hifi system or car radio are
    usually unpowered and will not be suitable.
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 22, 2004

  3. Mr Pounder

    ProfGene Guest

    Most speakers come with the wires and most have an adapter that plugs into
    an outlet. I rarely use little computer speakers but an old stereo set and
    in one case an old guitar amp. Almost any sound equipment is better than
    little computer speakers. I just run an eight inch stereo male plug into the
    line out of the sound card and the other end has two male RCA plugs that go
    into the auxiliary of the old stereo. I even used a small tv to rig sound
    to a friends comuter who had no speakers.

    ProfGene, May 23, 2004
  4. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "Palindr?me" <> wrote in message
    Mr Pounder wrote:

    > Pushing 5 years old Packard Bell (PB 9533) running win 98se.
    >
    > A friend has given me a Compaq Trinitron 20'' monitor which is excellent.
    >
    > The only problem is the existing Packard Bell speakers are Diamond which

    are
    > custom made for this model of computer.
    > There are 2 jackplugs that plug into the back of the tower system.
    > Unfortunately one of the jack plugs emerges from the tower end of the
    > computer to monitor cable.
    > This cable feed directly into the Packard Bell monitor .....no plug ......
    > so I have used the cable which came with the 20'' monitor which of course
    > means that I have no sound.
    >
    > I will be upgrading next year I do not wish to spend much on this machine,
    > however I suspect that buying a new pair of speakers will be my only

    option.
    > Argos knock out a pair of Goodmans for about £20, however I have no idea
    > what kind of plug may be fitted to the end of the speakers.
    > Would it be a straight forward USB connector or is the situation more
    > complex?
    > Don't want to buy the speakers then find out that I do not have a port for
    > the connection.
    >
    > Any help much appreciated.
    >
    > Steve

    Two options exist:
    Firstly, the original system had a USB sound card and
    powered speakers built into the monitor. In which case you
    will need a new sound card as well as new powered speakers.

    Secondly, the original system has a sound card in the
    computer but had the powered speakers in the monitor. In
    which case you will need new powered speakers.

    You can tell which you have from the sockets you have on the
    back of the tower. If you have little round stereo jack
    sockets for your microphone, line in and speaker out - then
    all you need is new powered speaker pair. As long as they
    are intended for use with a computer, they will have a
    miniature jack stereo plug to connect to the computer.

    If you don't have miniature stereo jack sockets on the
    tower, then the sound card was built into the monitor and
    connected via USB. In that case, you need a new sound card -
    either to be fitted internally in the tower, or an external
    USB one. Plus, of course, powerered speakers.

    Once you have a stereo miniature jack socket available, any
    pair of speakers sold for use with a computer will do.
    Speakers sold for use with a hifi system or car radio are
    usually unpowered and will not be suitable.

    Thanks a million for that.
    Nipped out to Comet this morning and bought a pair of Labtec for £15.
    Plugged in and working fine.

    Thanks again

    Steve

    ---
    Mr Pounder, May 23, 2004
  5. Mr Pounder

    Mr Pounder Guest

    "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    > Most speakers come with the wires and most have an adapter that plugs into
    > an outlet. I rarely use little computer speakers but an old stereo set

    and
    > in one case an old guitar amp. Almost any sound equipment is better than
    > little computer speakers. I just run an eight inch stereo male plug into

    the
    > line out of the sound card and the other end has two male RCA plugs that

    go
    > into the auxiliary of the old stereo. I even used a small tv to rig sound
    > to a friends comuter who had no speakers.

    Cheers, a little too ambitious for me, I am easily pleased.
    Problem sorted anyway........... £15.
    Can now play Meatloaf again :)

    Steve

    > "Mr Pounder" <Mr > wrote in message
    > > Pushing 5 years old Packard Bell (PB 9533) running win 98se.
    > >
    > > A friend has given me a Compaq Trinitron 20'' monitor which is

    excellent.

    > > The only problem is the existing Packard Bell speakers are Diamond which

    > are
    > > custom made for this model of computer.
    > > There are 2 jackplugs that plug into the back of the tower system.
    > > Unfortunately one of the jack plugs emerges from the tower end of the
    > > computer to monitor cable.
    > > This cable feed directly into the Packard Bell monitor .....no plug

    > > so I have used the cable which came with the 20'' monitor which of

    course
    > > means that I have no sound.
    > >
    > > I will be upgrading next year I do not wish to spend much on this

    machine,
    > > however I suspect that buying a new pair of speakers will be my only

    > option.
    > > Argos knock out a pair of Goodmans for about £20, however I have no idea
    > > what kind of plug may be fitted to the end of the speakers.
    > > Would it be a straight forward USB connector or is the situation more
    > > complex?
    > > Don't want to buy the speakers then find out that I do not have a port

    for
    > > the connection.
    > >
    > > Any help much appreciated.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > > ---

    ---
    Mr Pounder, May 23, 2004
  6. Glad to help!

    <snip>

    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 23, 2004