Help with setting up Forte Agent 1.93 needed...

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Murgi, Dec 31, 2003.

  1. Murgi

    Murgi Guest

    I just purchased Forte Agent (version 1.93) after getting dissatisfied
    with OE 6.0.
    Since I don't have a real manual it's a bit bothersome to wade through
    all the huge Help files.
    Anyway, I have downloaded the big list of international newsgroups and
    can read them. I can also send email which can be received at the
    other end.
    Furthermore, I can respond to messages and send new mail to the
    newsgroups...
    The only problem is that they never arrive!!!

    There must be something wrong in my settings:

    News NNTP Server: news.uncensored-news.com
    Mail SMTP Server: mail.da2.so-net.ne.jp
    Email: -net.ne.jp

    The same problem occurs when trying to receive email although the POP
    Server has been set to: pop.da2.so-net.ne.jp

    A message pops up and says:
    "You must use Options/Inbound Email dialog to configure your POP
    account before you can perform this operation."
    There is not much else to configure.

    Is there a step-by-step instruction on the Internet (with screenshots)
    that shows me how to set it up properly.
    I'd also like to set up another account for a local newsgroup list of
    a computer user group. How do I achieve this one? Sorry for having so
    many questions, but Japan is virtually a dead place during the New
    Year's holidays. Nobody to ask...

    I am sending this message through the Yahoo Groups... the only way I
    know when no newsreader works.

    With kind regards and a Happy New Year (only 7 hours to go in Tokyo)

    Murgi

    Murgi, Dec 31, 2003

  2. Murgi

    Boomer Guest

    -net.ne.jp (Murgi) wrote in

    > I just purchased Forte Agent (version 1.93) after getting
    > dissatisfied with OE 6.0.

    Maybe read this group or ask there?
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    Happy New Year to you also.

    Boomer, Dec 31, 2003

  3. Murgi

    why? Guest

    On 31 Dec 2003 00:15:44 -0800, Murgi wrote:

    >I just purchased Forte Agent (version 1.93) after getting dissatisfied
    >with OE 6.0.
    >Since I don't have a real manual it's a bit bothersome to wade through
    >all the huge Help files.

    RTFM, use the search / index provided.

    <snip>

    >The same problem occurs when trying to receive email although the POP
    >Server has been set to: pop.da2.so-net.ne.jp

    Online / View Error Log, see if there is any additional info.

    >A message pops up and says:
    >"You must use Options/Inbound Email dialog to configure your POP
    >account before you can perform this operation."
    >There is not much else to configure.
    >
    >Is there a step-by-step instruction on the Internet (with screenshots)
    >that shows me how to set it up properly.

    Maybe, you could ask in the FA newsgroup.
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    Browse / Search posts from that group
    http://groups.google.com/groups?group=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    >I'd also like to set up another account for a local newsgroup list of
    >a computer user group. How do I achieve this one? Sorry for having so

    Until v2 is out, which will have multiple servers. You need to do either
    (this is a quick run down, going out soon. Also see
    http://jlbradley.home.att.net/ )

    Install a second copy of Agent to a different directory, and configure
    for the other server.

    Or,
    Copy the data directory structure / agent.ini to a new directory. Edit
    the agent.ini for the new directory paths. Create a shortcut to the exe
    (n the original location) and change the startup path properties to the
    new location.

    Again see the FA newsgroup, it's a common question and step by step
    notes were/are in there usually.

    >many questions, but Japan is virtually a dead place during the New

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2003
  4. On 31 Dec 2003 00:15:44 -0800, -net.ne.jp (Murgi)
    wrote:

    >I just purchased Forte Agent (version 1.93) after getting dissatisfied
    >with OE 6.0.
    >Since I don't have a real manual it's a bit bothersome to wade through
    >all the huge Help files.
    >Anyway, I have downloaded the big list of international newsgroups and
    >can read them. I can also send email which can be received at the
    >other end.
    >Furthermore, I can respond to messages and send new mail to the
    >newsgroups...
    >The only problem is that they never arrive!!!
    >
    >There must be something wrong in my settings:
    >
    >News NNTP Server: news.uncensored-news.com
    >Mail SMTP Server: mail.da2.so-net.ne.jp
    >Email: -net.ne.jp
    >
    >The same problem occurs when trying to receive email although the POP
    >Server has been set to: pop.da2.so-net.ne.jp
    >
    >A message pops up and says:
    >"You must use Options/Inbound Email dialog to configure your POP
    >account before you can perform this operation."
    >There is not much else to configure.
    >
    >Is there a step-by-step instruction on the Internet (with screenshots)
    >that shows me how to set it up properly.
    >I'd also like to set up another account for a local newsgroup list of
    >a computer user group. How do I achieve this one? Sorry for having so
    >many questions, but Japan is virtually a dead place during the New
    >Year's holidays. Nobody to ask...
    >
    >I am sending this message through the Yahoo Groups... the only way I
    >know when no newsreader works.
    >
    >With kind regards and a Happy New Year (only 7 hours to go in Tokyo)
    >
    >Murgi

    I had the same problem.
    On th emenu bar go to > Options > Inbound Email.
    The box opens by default to Systems
    Make sure all the boxes are filled in and you're in bizness!

    Happy New Near to Nou Noo!

    Broderick Johnson, Dec 31, 2003