Help with selection of DV Camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ron Diehl, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Ron Diehl

    Ron Diehl Guest

    There is no Digi Camcorder newsgroup, so i thought i would try this
    group--since it is about digital photography.

    I am a casual, camcorder user and i need to replace my poor pq, by
    todays standards, 1989 8mm camcorder. i have a Panny E100 PVR/DVD
    burner with a "DV" input--labeled as "IEEE 1394 Standard, 4 pin". So
    my thought is i would use this to transfer the contents to the HDD and
    view/edit/burn a DVD there. i want to spend no more than say $800 in
    this years technology, which would include the Panny PV-GS200. i have
    a Fuji 602 which is use for stills.

    my questions are:
    1. does anyone here do this regularly with their setup, and if so what
    problems to you have?
    2. what brands do i stay away from?
    3. is the "Mini DV" truly compatible across different manufactures?
    4. what are the features i should really consider.
    5. any additional info is really appreciated.

    tia,
    ron

    The "E" has been removed from my return email address. Please add an E between the n&t to make .nEt to email a reply.
    Ron Diehl, Aug 23, 2004

  2. Ron Diehl

    PTravel Guest

    "Ron Diehl" <> wrote in message
    > There is no Digi Camcorder newsgroup, so i thought i would try this
    > group--since it is about digital photography.

    Of course there is. Try rec.video, rec.video.desktop and
    rec.video.production

    > I am a casual, camcorder user and i need to replace my poor pq, by
    > todays standards, 1989 8mm camcorder. i have a Panny E100 PVR/DVD
    > burner with a "DV" input--labeled as "IEEE 1394 Standard, 4 pin". So
    > my thought is i would use this to transfer the contents to the HDD and
    > view/edit/burn a DVD there. i want to spend no more than say $800 in
    > this years technology, which would include the Panny PV-GS200. i have
    > a Fuji 602 which is use for stills.
    >
    > my questions are:
    > 1. does anyone here do this regularly with their setup, and if so what
    > problems to you have?

    Editing in a dedicated DVD burner will be difficult if not impossible for
    anything other than the most basic kinds of things. If you have a computer,
    capture your video to the hard drive, edit there, transcode and then burn to
    DVD.

    > 2. what brands do i stay away from?

    I'd avoid the cheaper Panasonic camcorder (meaning anything in your price
    range). As a general rule, current consumer camcorder manufacturers are
    focusing on gimmicks and gadgets, rather than video quality. Canon Optura
    tends to be a better low-end camcorder, as does a number of Sony's
    offerings.

    > 3. is the "Mini DV" truly compatible across different manufactures?

    Yes.

    > 4. what are the features i should really consider.

    Camcorders are not digital still cameras. The more focus on still imaging,
    the poorer the video. Be concerned about low-light performance, which is
    pretty dismal in all consumer offerings. However, some tend to perform
    worse than others -- you don't want a camcorder that is usable only in
    bright sunlight. Look for a camcorder that does analogue pass-through, so
    that you can easily digitize all your 8mm video.

    PTravel, Aug 23, 2004