    options to the list. How do I do this?
    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jun 13, 2006

  2. Flycaster

    °Mike° Guest

    In message <>,
    Flycaster took 5 lines to impart the following:

    >XP. When I load pictures from my flash card, windows offers me a choice
    >of programs to open with. However, I'd like to be able to place other
    >options to the list. How do I do this?

    Right click / Open With... / Choose Program...

    You have the option to checkmark: "Always use the selected
    program..."

    --
    I could finally make ends meet, but then somebody moved the ends.
    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2006

  3. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Not quite what I'm looking for...

    Thanks Mike, but maybe I should restate the problem as I don't think
    your reply is what I"m looking for. When loading from my flash card, a
    menu of programs appear containing programs, all of which can use to
    open the pictures. But, I want to ADD another program to this list.
    How do I add a new program?

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jun 13, 2006
  4. Flycaster

    °Mike° Guest

    Re: Not quite what I'm looking for...

    If that is a function of your flash card, then I do not know -- I
    don't use flash cards. Perhaps it is looking for programs that
    have been associated with image file formats, in which case, you
    could simply add to this list in Windows (for other file formats)
    as I described earlier.

    In message <>,
    Flycaster took 23 lines to impart the following:

    --
    I finally got it together, but now I've forgotten where I put it.
    °Mike°, Jun 13, 2006
  5. Flycaster

    Mike Easter Guest

    Flycaster wrote:
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >> Flycaster

    >>> XP. When I load pictures from my flash card, windows offers me a
    >>> choice of programs to open with. However, I'd like to be able to
    >>> place other options to the list. How do I do this?

    >> Right click / Open With... / Choose Program...

    > Thanks Mike, but maybe I should restate the problem as I don't think
    > your reply is what I"m looking for.

    Except you didn't state it any better or more specifically the 2nd time
    than you did the 1st time. And you also topposted instead of trimming
    and contextualizing -- which trimming and contextualizing always helps
    to clarify an issue especially problems in communication. And changing
    the subject of the thread doesn't actually help either.

    > When loading from my flash card,
    > a menu of programs appear containing programs, all of which can use to
    > open the pictures. But, I want to ADD another program to this list.
    > How do I add a new program?

    Notice that you are speaking in vague 'generalities' instead of
    specifics, like "How can I associate .jpg files with IrfanView?"

    Is the program installed? Is the program associated with a filetype?
    Is the filetype associated with some other program?

    Some navigation and configuration is available in My Computer/ View
    menu/ Folder options/ File types tab - if the file type exists on that
    menu, you can edit the program which is used to open the filetype by
    selecting the filetype, clicking the edit button, then in the Edit menu,
    clicking the Edit button [again], and then using the navigational tool
    to go find an installed program to associate with the functions like
    open.

    If the program /isn't/ installed, installing it first will often remedy
    the problem of the lack of association with filetypes.

    From that Edit menu you can also add a filetype.and do other tuneups.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 13, 2006
  6. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Re: Not quite what I'm looking for...

    OK, Mike, thanks for the 101 in posting and for sticking with me on this.
    >> When loading from my flash card,
    >> a menu of programs appear containing programs, all of which can use to
    >> open the pictures. But, I want to ADD another program to this list.
    >> How do I add a new program?

    Hope this is a better description of the problem.
    After placing the FC into my reader, a drop down with the
    title-Removable Disk (G), appears. I am asked "What do you want Windows
    to do ? The menu of choices has items such as:
    Open pictures with...
    Copy pictures to...
    Copy disc to....

    The program (FastStone) that I want to open my jpg pictures with is
    installed on my computer, but is not an option on this list. I'd like
    to add it to the list. It is quite possible that you have given me the
    answer, but I'm just not seeing it
    Is the program associated with a filetype?
    I'm pretty sure the program is associated with jpg files as I can use it
    to edit pictures.

    > Some navigation and configuration is available in My Computer/ View
    > menu/ Folder options/ File types tab - if the file type exists on that
    > menu, you can edit the program which is used to open the filetype by
    > selecting the filetype, clicking the edit button, then in the Edit menu,
    > clicking the Edit button [again], and then using the navigational tool
    > to go find an installed program to associate with the functions like
    > open.

    I can get to the menu under the file type tab, but there is no edit
    button. BTW, Faststone is associated with jpg on this list.
    Are you saying that by choosing Faststone from this list will place it
    into the menu that comes up when I load pictures?

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jun 13, 2006
  7. Flycaster

    Mike Easter Guest

    Flycaster wrote:

    > Hope this is a better description of the problem.
    > After placing the FC into my reader, a drop down with the
    > title-Removable Disk (G), appears. I am asked "What do you want
    > Windows to do ? The menu of choices has items such as:
    > Open pictures with...
    > Copy pictures to...
    > Copy disc to....
    >
    > The program (FastStone) that I want to open my jpg pictures with is
    > installed on my computer, but is not an option on this list.

    Here's the webpage for the faststone app
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm FastStone Image Viewer is a
    fast, stable, user-friendly image browser, converter and editor. It has
    a nice array of features that include image viewing, management,
    comparison, red-eye removal, emailing, resizing, cropping and color
    adjustments. [...] It supports all major graphic formats (BMP, JPEG,
    JPEG 2000, animated GIF, PNG, PCX, TIFF, WMF, ICO and TGA) and popular
    digital camera RAW formats (CRW, CR2, NEF, PEF, RAF, MRW, ORF, SRF and
    DNG).

    Reviews:
    http://www.download.com/FastStone-Image-Viewer/3003-2192_4-10528085.html
    Tutorial: http://www.faststone.org/FSTutorial.htm FastStone Image
    Viewer Tutorial -- Section 29 - 29. File Associations - B. Change the
    types of files that are Associated with FastStone: 1. Associate JPEG
    files with FastStone <describes how to add and subtract file
    associations within the app>

    > I'm pretty sure the program is associated with jpg files as I can use
    > it to edit pictures.

    > I can get to the menu under the file type tab, but there is no edit
    > button. BTW, Faststone is associated with jpg on this list.

    > Are you saying that by choosing Faststone from this list will place it
    > into the menu that comes up when I load pictures?

    You can do it in Faststone in Settings/ Associations.

    Thanks for trimming and contextualizing.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jun 13, 2006
  8. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Re: Not quite what I'm looking for...

    I still don't think that I'm getting the answer that I'm looking for.
    However, I think that I finally may be able to get to the point without
    further confusion. The first picture on this site is drop down that I
    am referring to:
    http://unit.villanova.edu/pc/documentation/CD_Burning.pdf.
    I am almost positive that one can add other options to this list. I
    think I may have done it in the past, but have forgotten how to do it now.

    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jun 14, 2006
  9. Flycaster

    Flycaster Guest

    Here's the answer...

    Flycaster wrote:
    > XP. When I load pictures from my flash card, windows offers me a choice
    > of programs to open with. However, I'd like to be able to place other
    > options to the list. How do I do this?

    I knew I had done this before. You need to use Tweak UI. Go to this site:

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/addautoplay.htm

    --
    To email, erase "forgetit"
    Flycaster, Jun 14, 2006