    cords. The SSID of my router is available as a wireless network but is
    unsecured. How do I secure it, or even better, how do I make my own network
    that actually works? Thanks.
    =?Utf-8?B?bGlsc25vd2Ryb3Bz?=, Jun 13, 2005

  2. "lilsnowdrops" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I just got a laptop with a wireless LAN. I already have a wireless router
    >and
    > I'd like to know how to connect to the Internet without having to plug in
    > any
    > cords. The SSID of my router is available as a wireless network but is
    > unsecured. How do I secure it, or even better, how do I make my own
    > network
    > that actually works? Thanks.

    Take a look at the documentation that came with your router-- it will lay it
    out pretty simply for you. If you don't have the manual or CD, go to their
    website-- same deal. In short, RTFM.

    Failing that, there's several threads a day in this NG that spell it out
    too...

    Doc
    J.H. Holliday, Jun 13, 2005

  3. These FAQs from the Broadband Reports forums may be of some help with this issue...Consider using
    WPA (either AES (best) or TKIP) if your hardware supports it...

    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wifisecurity
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/wlan/40.0 Security

    As noted by "Doc", read your users manuals that will, or should, explain the basics for connecting
    to your wireless router... Also, see this page for some basic help...

    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_encrypt.htm

    An online key generator...

    http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wlanskg/wlanskg.html

    --