Help with SATA and RAID

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Buffy, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. Buffy

    Buffy Guest

    I want to install two SATA drives and set up Raid 1 Mirroring for
    protection for my MP3 collection in addition to my existing IDE Hard
    drive but am unsure what to do. I have Win XP Pro and an ASUS A7V MB
    which I know is SATA compliant. I'd really appreciate it if someone
    could answer a few questions for me or point me to a good webpage (I
    haven't been able to find one)

    1. Can these two new SATA discs be installed independently and totally
    separate from the existing primary/secondary IDE?
    2. As all I plan to have on these two new discs are the MP3 files do I
    need to install an operating system on them?
    3. Do these SATA drives need drivers to make them work and if so where
    do you get them from?
    4. Does one SATA drive need to be primary and the other secondary or
    doesn't that happen eith SATA drives
    5 Once you have them set up and installed how do you configure RAID?

    Sorry about all the questions, hope someone can answer or point me to
    good advice.

    Thanks

    Buffy, Oct 5, 2004

  2. Buffy,

    The SATA controller on your motherboard probably doubles as a RAID
    controller, it will have some kind of configuration in the BIOS or right
    after your BIOS posts, consult your motherboard manual. You may need
    drivers, they should be on the motherboard CD. I don't think you set drives
    to primary or secondary in RAID, my motherboard wants them jumperless and it
    takes care of them in the RAID controllers settings. Once you get this all
    figured out you'll have to enter your RAID controllers setup, and create an
    array. You'll probably want the hard drives you use in your array to be the
    same size. Then just specify you want a RAID 1 array... it'll all look
    scary but should be fairly easy.

    -L

    Locke Nash Cole, Oct 5, 2004

  3. Buffy

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:58:25 +0100, Buffy wrote:

    >I want to install two SATA drives and set up Raid 1 Mirroring for
    >protection for my MP3 collection in addition to my existing IDE Hard
    >drive but am unsure what to do. I have Win XP Pro and an ASUS A7V MB
    >which I know is SATA compliant. I'd really appreciate it if someone
    >could answer a few questions for me or point me to a good webpage (I
    >haven't been able to find one)

    Don't have that mobo, however and not much point giving my mobo model.
    As we won't read each others manuals :)

    This looks very handy
    http://www.asus.com.tw/mb/socketa/a7v/overview.htm
    that's from Google looking for - ASUS A7V manual.

    I don't see SATA mentioned on the summary specs, do you have some other
    version / revision of the A7V like a 133 / 266 / 266-E?

    >1. Can these two new SATA discs be installed independently and totally
    >separate from the existing primary/secondary IDE?

    Usually yes. SATA has it's own controller not releated to IDE.

    In some mobos the SATA controller and RAID both need to be enabled.

    >2. As all I plan to have on these two new discs are the MP3 files do I
    >need to install an operating system on them?

    No.

    >3. Do these SATA drives need drivers to make them work and if so where
    >do you get them from?

    Yes for the OS to be able to use the drives, mine were on the mobo
    utility CD or the mobo website. ( The drives will be detected by the
    SATA controller and RAID setup during boot, without drivers.)

    >4. Does one SATA drive need to be primary and the other secondary or
    >doesn't that happen eith SATA drives

    Doesn't usually apply, however the SATA ports are (such as) Channel0 and
    Channel1 there are no jumpers to set if that's what you mean.

    >5 Once you have them set up and installed how do you configure RAID?

    Once the RAID is enabled in the PC BIOS, the drives are detected. RTFM,
    select the raid options 0,1 etc.

    >Sorry about all the questions, hope someone can answer or point me to

    NP.

    >good advice.

    Me

    why?, Oct 5, 2004
  4. Buffy

    dadiOH Guest

    Buffy wrote:
    > I want to install two SATA drives and set up Raid 1 Mirroring for
    > protection for my MP3 collection in addition to my existing IDE Hard
    > drive but am unsure what to do. I have Win XP Pro and an ASUS A7V MB
    > which I know is SATA compliant. I'd really appreciate it if someone
    > could answer a few questions for me or point me to a good webpage (I
    > haven't been able to find one)
    >
    > 1. Can these two new SATA discs be installed independently and
    > totally separate from the existing primary/secondary IDE?
    > 2. As all I plan to have on these two new discs are the MP3 files
    > do I need to install an operating system on them?
    > 3. Do these SATA drives need drivers to make them work and if so
    > where do you get them from?
    > 4. Does one SATA drive need to be primary and the other secondary or
    > doesn't that happen eith SATA drives
    > 5 Once you have them set up and installed how do you configure
    > RAID?

    The drives don't need an operating system. As far as that goes, no real
    purpose in using RAID either unless you plan to do a lot of adding/deleting
    from the drives.

    What I do with my backup drives is partition them into a primary = in size
    to my C: (which is 7.82 GB) and a secondary using the rest of the drive. I
    make the primary bootable and back up C: to it. If C: ever gets screwed up
    I can boot from the other. You can use any copy program to copy what you
    want to the new drive(s) whenever you want to.

    --
    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...

    dadiOH, Oct 6, 2004