Help with restore after format/rebuild

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Doug G, Mar 27, 2007.

  1. Doug G

    Doug G Guest

    Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Things have gotten so bad with my Windows 2000 system (all my fault)
    > that my tech says that we will have to wipe, reformat, and
    > re-install. I would like to make the task less onerous by being able
    > to restore all settings to certain programs, including Firefox and
    > Thunderbird. I've saved address books and bookmarks - that's not a
    > problem. Profiles seemed understandable, but I'm not confident.
    >
    > I went to Mozilla.org and found information about profiles but I am
    > not capable, apparently, of translating that into what I am supposed
    > to do about saving a profile and then restoring it.
    >
    > I would be most grateful for a set of instructions or being pointed
    > to where they exist.
    >
    > Thank you, Chuck

    I'd backup everything in the following folders.

    C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\
    C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\

    Compact Thunderbird's mail folders via its File menu and empty Firefox's
    cache folder via Windows Explorer before making the backups.

    Gualtier Malde, Mar 27, 2007

  3. Doug G wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Things have gotten so bad with my Windows 2000 system (all my fault)
    >> that my tech says that we will have to wipe, reformat, and
    >> re-install. I would like to make the task less onerous by being able
    >> to restore all settings to certain programs, including Firefox and
    >> Thunderbird. I've saved address books and bookmarks - that's not a
    >> problem. Profiles seemed understandable, but I'm not confident.
    >>
    >> I went to Mozilla.org and found information about profiles but I am
    >> not capable, apparently, of translating that into what I am supposed
    >> to do about saving a profile and then restoring it.
    >>
    >> I would be most grateful for a set of instructions or being pointed
    >> to where they exist.
    >>
    >> Thank you, Chuck

    > I'd backup everything in the following folders.
    >
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Mozilla\
    > C:\Documents and Settings\[Log-in Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\
    >
    > Compact Thunderbird's mail folders via its File menu and empty Firefox's
    > cache folder via Windows Explorer before making the backups.

    That's it? I guess I was getting wrapped around the axle over the "Start > Run %appdata%" and such.
    I kind of understood it, but was tripping over wondering how to get it into the newly installed
    Mozilla. I'm assuming that once Mozilla is installed I just replace the generated folders with the
    ones I've saved - works.

    Thank you a lot.

    Chuck

    Gualtier Malde, Mar 28, 2007