    John H

    On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    John H, Apr 4, 2004

  2. John H

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:19:47 -0400, in rec.photo.digital John H
    <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote:

    >I use Irfan View, and when resizing a picture to make it smaller for
    >emailing, i usually just hit the "half" button. I would expect the
    >dimensions to be halved, which they are. I would then expect the file
    >size, based on the pixel count, to be one-fourth the original size.
    >
    >However, the file size is much less than one-fourth, closer to
    >one-eighth the original size. For example, a picture had an initial
    >file size of 1310KB. I resized it using the "half" button, and the
    >resized version has a file size of 166KB.
    >
    >Will someone please tell me why?

    The default jpeg compression setting. Click the options button in the Save
    dialog to set another Quality setting. Higher quality will mean less
    compression and larger file sizes.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Apr 4, 2004

  3. John H

    John H Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 14:03:17 -0400, Ed Ruf <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:19:47 -0400, in rec.photo.digital John H
    ><jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I use Irfan View, and when resizing a picture to make it smaller for
    >>emailing, i usually just hit the "half" button. I would expect the
    >>dimensions to be halved, which they are. I would then expect the file
    >>size, based on the pixel count, to be one-fourth the original size.
    >>
    >>However, the file size is much less than one-fourth, closer to
    >>one-eighth the original size. For example, a picture had an initial
    >>file size of 1310KB. I resized it using the "half" button, and the
    >>resized version has a file size of 166KB.
    >>
    >>Will someone please tell me why?

    >The default jpeg compression setting. Click the options button in the Save
    >dialog to set another Quality setting. Higher quality will mean less
    >compression and larger file sizes.
    >Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    >http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Thanks Ed. Your suggestion worked, and I learned a little more about
    IrfanView. Now if only you rode Moto Guzzis. Oh well.

    Life AMA # 381841

    John H, Apr 4, 2004
  4. John H

    Jim Vatunz Guest

    On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 13:19:47 -0400, John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net>
    wrote:

    >I use Irfan View, and when resizing a picture to make it smaller for
    >emailing, i usually just hit the "half" button. I would expect the
    >dimensions to be halved, which they are. I would then expect the file
    >size, based on the pixel count, to be one-fourth the original size.
    >
    >However, the file size is much less than one-fourth, closer to
    >one-eighth the original size. For example, a picture had an initial
    >file size of 1310KB. I resized it using the "half" button, and the
    >resized version has a file size of 166KB.
    >
    >Will someone please tell me why?
    >
    >Thanks much!
    >
    >John H
    >
    >On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD
    >on the beautiful Chesapeake Bay!

    I'd say it's to do with the quality slider that irfanview uses. it
    defaults at 80% which is still a very good quality but the originals
    were probably compressed at 100% quality.

    I have a webcam in the tropics
    http://ii.net/~farmerjim/

    Jim Vatunz, Apr 4, 2004
  5. John H

    Chris Doran Guest

    John H <jherring$$@$$cox**.net> wrote in message news:<>...
    > I use Irfan View, and when resizing a picture to make it smaller for
    > emailing, i usually just hit the "half" button. I would expect the
    > dimensions to be halved, which they are. I would then expect the file
    > size, based on the pixel count, to be one-fourth the original size.
    >
    > However, the file size is much less than one-fourth, closer to
    > one-eighth the original size. For example, a picture had an initial
    > file size of 1310KB. I resized it using the "half" button, and the
    > resized version has a file size of 166KB.
    >
    > Will someone please tell me why?

    Check the "Save quality" slider setting. How you get to see it depends
    on the version of IrfanView, IIRC earlier versions had a "More" button
    on the Save As display; recent ones pop it up always. With some
    formats, e.g. JPEG, you can reduce the file size at the expense of
    quality. For e-mailing and especially web pages you should experiment
    with quality by reducing it until the degradation becomes
    unacceptable, then taking it up a bit.

    Chris

    Chris Doran, Apr 5, 2004