    Do I have a virus or spyware I can't detect?

    Thanks,

    Bill
    Bill Roderick, Jun 9, 2006

  2. Bill Roderick

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:OB3ig.52704$9c6.37184@dukeread11,
    Bill Roderick spewed forth:
    > I have an HP pavilion, WindowsXP home addition.
    > I picked up a virus & some spyware but was able to clean
    > them all out (at least I think I did) using Norton Utilities (2006
    > version) plus AdAware, & Spybot. Like I said I think I have
    > everything cleaned but now when the computer boots up the system32
    > folder (a sub folder in the windows folder)
    > pops up on my desktop. I close the folder & the computer seems to run
    > fine.
    > Do I have a virus or spyware I can't detect?

    Possibly. This could be just a left-over symptom of the original problems.

    Run MSCONFIG (start, run, msconfig <enter>) and look at the startup tab. Go
    down the list and see if you can find an entry that lists
    "C:\windows\system32" or something very close to that. If so, remove the
    checkmark, and restart. See if the problem stopped. If it did, find out
    where that command is being started (msconfig shows that too) and remove it
    permanently.

    If there is no entry there, then it may be harder to figure out. I had one
    PC that started the solitaire game every time it started. It didn't show up
    in the list, because some malware had copied the exe file to another
    location, attached it's malicious content, renamed it, and was starting it
    by the new name.

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, Jun 9, 2006