help with one way audio problem please

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Stacy E, Dec 5, 2003.

  1. Stacy E

    Stacy E Guest

    Hi! We have an Intertel phone system that supports voip, allowing us to have
    a phone connection at our remote office. We have had various intermittent
    problems with it for a while ...nothing too major. However, Tuesday in the
    middle of the day, we lost sound one way. The person calling in can hear us,
    but we can't hear them. No sound at all. But they hear us clearly.

    The remote office has a static ip/ partial T1, its own router, etc, so there
    is plenty there to support it. This past Friday we replaced our router at
    our main location. We reconfigured the ports and everything, and all that
    has been checked and double-checked and all seems configured ok on that end.
    And the phone worked fine both ways from when we replaced the router Friday
    until Tuesady afternoon.

    Not saying it CAN'T be some sort of router issue, but it just seems odd. Can
    anyone please offer me some advice on how to fix this issue? Our phone
    system provider responds with "we don't support routers, etc ....just phone
    equipment". And of course the router manufacturer (and our on-call IT
    person) says they don't handle voip issues, while the phone system
    manufacturer says call your phone system provider. Argh! Any suggestions
    please??!

    Thanks,
    Stacy
    Stacy E, Dec 5, 2003

  2. Stacy E

    Stacy E Guest

    To answer my own question, I got around the issue by setting up a VPN
    between our two locations. Now I don't have to worry about port issues.
    However, this leaves me with another question (that hopefully someone will
    reply to!). The IKE life time is set for 8 hours, which is the maximum the
    router will allow. At that point, I understand the connection will
    disconnect/ refresh and reconnect. Does that mean my phone will disconnect
    and reconnect at that time? It sure sounds that way to me, but that seems
    awfully inconvenient ...especially in a business environment. Can anyone
    please give me some suggestions??

    Thanks!
    Stacy

    Stacy E, Dec 11, 2003

  3. Stacy E

    darren Guest

    I think all that will happen atfter 8 hours is the security association will
    be re-negotiated on UDP port 500 while the data still whizzes through on
    protocols 50 & 51

    darren

    darren, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Stacy E

    Stacy E Guest

    Thanks! I hope that is the way it works out. Hopefully I'll find out Monday
    ....the guy that uses the ip phone has been out sick and should be in then.

    Stacy E, Dec 14, 2003