    a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?

    I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody tell
    me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

    Chet, Jun 28, 2004

  2. Chet

    Thor Guest

    You may have a corrupt virus definition database. First, uninstall Norton
    Antivirus, then go to c:\program files\common files\symantec shared\ and
    delete everything in the "symantec shared" folder there. Also, find the
    Norton Antivirus folder in C:\program files\ and delete that. Then,
    re-install Norton, and update the defs.

    "Chet" <chartley(nospam)> wrote in message
    > A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates)

    all
    > of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions

    files.

    Thor, Jun 28, 2004

  3. Chet

    mcp6453 Guest

    Chet wrote:

    > A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates) all
    > of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions files.
    > Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".
    >
    > I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back to
    > a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    > I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody tell
    > me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

    Your best bet is to search http://www.symantec.com for a solution.
    Norton is known for problems like this, although ME could be the
    problem. If I were you, I would completely remove Norton from my
    computer and download a good AV program (free for the first year) at
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft, or particularly
    http://tinyurl.com/2tzu8.

    mcp6453, Jun 28, 2004
  4. Chet

    mark mandel Guest

    "Chet" <chartley(nospam)> wrote in message
    > A machine running Win ME and Norton A/V 2001 (both with latest updates)

    all
    > of a sudden started reporting "Unable to find valid virus definitions

    files.
    > Please reinstall Norton AntiVirus".
    >
    > I have reinstalled twice with no effect. I have used Restore to go back

    > a day when it was working correctly. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    >
    > I am willing to upgrade to new Norton if it will run on ME, can anybody

    tell
    > me whether the newest (2004) will work on ME?

    In addition to what Thor wrote I would delete all references to Symantec and
    Norton in the Registry, then reinstall(make certain you've backed it up
    first). I haven't exactly heard the most positive complements about NAV
    2004, though that may be true for the entire NSW and not just the NAV
    program.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, Jun 28, 2004
  5. Chet

    Chet Guest

    Thanks to all.

    I ended up removing NAV then removing all files and directories with
    "Norton" or "Symantec" names. Didn't mess with the registry. After
    re-install and reboot, seems to be running correctly. I am currently
    running a full system scan.

    Chet, Jun 28, 2004
  6. Chet

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 15:42:33 GMT, "Chet"
    <chartley(nospam)> wrote:

    >Thanks to all.
    >
    >I ended up removing NAV then removing all files and directories with
    >"Norton" or "Symantec" names. Didn't mess with the registry. After
    >re-install and reboot, seems to be running correctly. I am currently
    >running a full system scan.

    Virus definitions aside, I would think that Norton has upgrade their
    engine since 2001. You could be running a version that won't detect
    the latest virii.

    If you don't have the latest engine, I'd consider upgrading that
    portion of the program also. Although, in general, Norton sucks!!

    In the meantime, go to the Trend Micro site and use Housecalls. Its
    often found virii for me that Norton has missed.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 29, 2004
  7. Chet