    "binaries" are and why they all appear as long ascii files in my new reader.
    (I tried Outlook Express help, but it was worthless!)
    Appreciate any help!

    David Glotfelty, Nov 26, 2003

  2. David Glotfelty

    °Mike° Guest

    Some reading for you here:
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/newtonews.html

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 04:55:29 GMT, in
    <5nWwb.2557$>
    David Glotfelty scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 26, 2003

  3. David Glotfelty

    Boomer Guest

    David Glotfelty, <> wrote:

    > I'm new to news groups, and it's looking kind of overwhelming.
    > Is there a web site that describes the difference between "alt"
    > and "rec", or what "binaries" are and why they all appear as
    > long ascii files in my new reader. (I tried Outlook Express
    > help, but it was worthless!) Appreciate any help!

    Welcome to usenet. :)

    Mike just gave you a great site with lots of great information.

    My suggestion (unless you like spam) is to munge your address right
    away.

    ~ Munging ~
    http://www.ecofuture.org/jmnews.html#hide

    If you use OE go to...
    Tools> Accounts> News> Properties> General tab
    Change your account name in User Information.

    Example:

    ----------> lid

    ~ Spambots ~
    http://www.sendfakemail.com/fakemail/botbait/makebait.asp

    ~ Harvesting ~
    http://www.private.org.il/harvest.html
    http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/spam/harvesting.html

    ~Safe Hex ~
    http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/articles/safehex.html
    http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

    Freeware programs:
    SpamPal for Windows http://www.spampal.org/
    FrontGateMX http://www.presorium.com/index.shtml

    Unpatched IE security holes
    http://pivx.com/larholm/unpatched/

    Protecting Your Privacy & Security
    http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ehowes/main-nf.htm

    Boomer, Nov 26, 2003
  4. David Glotfelty

    Richard Guest

    David! wrote:

    > I'm new to news groups, and it's looking kind of overwhelming. Is there a
    > web site that describes the difference between "alt" and "rec", or what
    > "binaries" are and why they all appear as long ascii files in my new
    > reader. (I tried Outlook Express help, but it was worthless!)
    > Appreciate any help!

    The groups are divided into hierarchys which have subdivisions.
    Think of it as your computer system with meaningfull names on the hard
    drives instead of something like "C:\".
    Each division is seperated with a period such as alt.test.test.test.test.
    The first division is usually an abbreviation. "rec" is "recreation(al)".
    "comp" is "computers".
    "alt" officially stands for "anarchists, lunatics, and terrorists" and
    unofficially, "alter-net" or "alternative net".

    Binaries are anything that is not pure text. Binaries are to be posted in
    binary groups.
    The reason for the jumbled ascii stuff is because you downloaded a part of a
    larger file.
    Large files are generally split into parts to accomodate the servers.
    You need to learn about "combine and decode" and how to join split files.

    Most split files will have numbers attached to the name of the file on the
    subject line.
    Something like "filename.mpg (03/30)".
    This means this is part 3 of a 30 part file.
    You need to locate "filename.mpg (01/30)" and begin here.
    Part 1 is a complete file which can be viewed or played.

    If you see "filename.mpg.003", this does not mean "003" is the extension,
    but rather the part number.
    Locate "filename.mpg.001" and begin with it. At this point we do not know
    how many parts are needed to make a complete file.

    And from here it gets even more complicated with other types of posting
    methods.
    BTW, if you see "yenc" in the subject line. Don't bother with it. Outlook
    Express doesn't know what to do with it.

    For binaries the easy way get xnews. http://xnews.newsguy.com it's free.

    Enjoy usenet.

    Richard, Nov 26, 2003