Help with Network - I hate network issues

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by GJ, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. GJ

    GJ Guest

    A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).

    The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    Only one light is
    There have been no recent configuration changes.
    Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full Duplex.

    I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    this issue.

    GJ
    GJ, Aug 11, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. It may not be the best advice but perhaps the network card is on the
    way out, and a new one is appropriate? They're about $20 these days
    last time I checked.

    Regards,
    Waylon.
    Waylon Kenning, Aug 11, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. GJ

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:10:23 +1200, GJ <> spoke these
    fine words:

    >A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    >It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >
    >The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    >The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    >is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    > Only one light is
    >There have been no recent configuration changes.
    >Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full Duplex.
    >
    >I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    >this issue.
    >

    Have you tried plugging it into another port on the switch?

    If so (to no avail), I'd pick the network card has shat itself.
    H.O.G, Aug 12, 2005
    #3
  4. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Yes, I plugged it into a different port on the switch and the same thing
    happened.

    Time to buy a new network card me thinks.

    GJ


    H.O.G wrote:

    >On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 10:10:23 +1200, GJ <> spoke these
    >fine words:
    >
    >
    >
    >>A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    >>It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >>
    >>The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    >>The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    >>is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    >> Only one light is
    >>There have been no recent configuration changes.
    >>Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full Duplex.
    >>
    >>I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    >>this issue.
    >>
    >>
    >>

    >Have you tried plugging it into another port on the switch?
    >
    >If so (to no avail), I'd pick the network card has shat itself.
    >
    >
    GJ, Aug 12, 2005
    #4
  5. GJ

    H.O.G Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:30:10 +1200, GJ <> spoke these
    fine words:
    >>
    >>>A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    >>>It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >>>
    >>>The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    >>>The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    >>>is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    >>> Only one light is
    >>>There have been no recent configuration changes.
    >>>Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full Duplex.
    >>>
    >>>I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    >>>this issue.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>

    >>Have you tried plugging it into another port on the switch?
    >>
    >>If so (to no avail), I'd pick the network card has shat itself.
    >>
    >>

    ><top-posting corrected>
    >
    >Yes, I plugged it into a different port on the switch and the same thing
    >happened.
    >
    >Time to buy a new network card me thinks.
    >

    Other thing to quickly try is another network cable. Is it somewhere
    where it could have been tripped over?
    H.O.G, Aug 12, 2005
    #5
  6. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Good option. It could be the cable.

    I found something about it on Dell page regarding Autonegotiation
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=pc_unmanaged&message.id=436

    I will try:
    1. Change Cable
    2. Autonegotiation settings
    3. Change Network card.

    Thanks

    GJ


    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 11:30:10 +1200, GJ <> spoke these
    > fine words:
    >
    >>>>A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    >>>>It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >>>>
    >>>>The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    >>>>The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    >>>>is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    >>>> Only one light is
    >>>>There have been no recent configuration changes.
    >>>>Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full Duplex.
    >>>>
    >>>>I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    >>>>this issue.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>Have you tried plugging it into another port on the switch?
    >>>
    >>>If so (to no avail), I'd pick the network card has shat itself.
    >>>
    >>>

    >>
    >><top-posting corrected>
    >>
    >>Yes, I plugged it into a different port on the switch and the same thing
    >>happened.
    >>
    >>Time to buy a new network card me thinks.
    >>

    >
    > Other thing to quickly try is another network cable. Is it somewhere
    > where it could have been tripped over?
    GJ, Aug 12, 2005
    #6
  7. GJ

    steve Guest

    GJ wrote:
    > A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    > It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >
    > The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    > The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    > is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    > Only one light is
    > There have been no recent configuration changes.
    > Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full
    > Duplex.
    >
    > I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    > this issue.
    >
    > GJ
    >


    Network card on the Win98SE box may have packed a sad.

    I assume you've powered off both the PC and the switch? Sometimes one or
    the other can get their brains scrambled.
    steve, Aug 12, 2005
    #7
  8. GJ

    MarkH Guest

    GJ <> wrote in news:42fbcccd$:

    > A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the
    > server/network. It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >
    > The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    > The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the
    > PC is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    > Only one light is
    > There have been no recent configuration changes.
    > Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full
    > Duplex.
    >
    > I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    > this issue.


    It is very hard to suggest anything without knowing what you have tried.

    The obvious (you should always try the obvious first):
    1. Different port on the switch.
    2. Different cable.
    3. Different network card.
    4. Firewall issues? Disable any firewall and try again.
    5. Windows reinstall.
    6. Scratch head, honestly it should be one of the above.


    You should also try the simpler tests first. i.e. if you cannot ping
    another address on the network then you won't be able to do anything more
    advanced like access files on another PC.




    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)
    "There are 10 types of people, those that
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Aug 12, 2005
    #8
  9. In article <42fbfebc$>,
    says...
    >
    > I assume you've powered off both the PC and the switch? Sometimes one or
    > the other can get their brains scrambled.
    >


    And that's a fact. Couple of days one of our Win98 clients couldn't get
    on the network any more, couldn't even see itself on the network any
    more, firewall on the server/gateway reported attacks from 192.168.o.2
    and routed it to dev>nil ... powering down the client machine and
    restarting it didn't solve anything. Cable ok, card ok ...

    FFS, I thought, something has gotten through and is trying to instigate
    mischief from the client end, but before I got around to taking
    everything apart and rebuilding it so happened both machines and switch
    got powered down simultaneously.

    After a general reboot I disabled the firewall on the gateway, disabled
    and re-enabled the rules regarding the LAN and everything just came back
    online. Turned the firewall back on and here we are.

    Scrambled ~puter_brains on toast, all right :)

    -P.
    Peter Huebner, Aug 12, 2005
    #9
  10. GJ

    Enkidu Guest

    GJ wrote:
    >
    > Good option. It could be the cable.
    >

    Why? Cables don't go bad, unless someone has done something
    to it. Network cards fry all the time, in my experience.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2005
    #10
  11. GJ

    EMB Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > GJ wrote:
    > >

    >
    >> Good option. It could be the cable.
    >>

    > Why? Cables don't go bad, unless someone has done something to it.


    I've seen a couple of CAT-5 cables that must have been damaged during
    installation that have suddenly decided to only support 10Mbit
    transmissions - with no physical interference at the time they decided
    to no longer cooperate with 100 Mbit.


    --
    EMB
    EMB, Aug 12, 2005
    #11
  12. GJ

    GJ Guest

    Issue solved. I discovered the PC used to be a server (NT) with 2
    netowrk cards. Now it has Win98SE installed and only one of the network
    cards works. I had a look at the Network settings again and realised
    (there all along) there were 2 network cards.

    It turns out someone used the network cable for their laptop and plugged
    the cable back into the wrong plug. I just took it for granted the PC
    had only one network card. Plugged into the onboard NIC and all okay.

    Feeling very blonde at present.

    Thanks for the advise though everyone.

    GJ


    GJ wrote:
    > A PC on this network has suddenly stopped accessing the server/network.
    > It runs Win98SE (Old but it meets all requirements).
    >
    > The PC has been running for years without any issues.
    > The switch, a Dell 2216, manual troubleshooting section indicates the PC
    > is connecting with Half Duplex only.
    > Only one light is
    > There have been no recent configuration changes.
    > Looking at the network settings everything I can see says it is Full
    > Duplex.
    >
    > I hate networking configuration but cannot find anything to help with
    > this issue.
    >
    > GJ
    >
    GJ, Aug 13, 2005
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=

    SNMP Issues in Cisco Routers; Vulnerability Issues in TCP

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=, Apr 21, 2004, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    790
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Frisbee=AE?=
    Apr 21, 2004
  2. pcbutts1
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    586
    pcbutts1
    Jul 6, 2005
  3. pcbutts1
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    768
    pcbutts1
    Jul 6, 2005
  4. Howie
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    556
    Howie
    Jul 6, 2005
  5. Simon Harding
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,976
    Mike Easter
    Jan 3, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page